Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season #6: Thu, Sept. 26 2019, FLYERS 1 at Rangers 2 (SO 0-1), 7:00 pm ET

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Provy was exceptionally bad on that 4v3 PP in OT :laugh:

Friendly reminder for Michel Therrien and Alain Vigneault:
  • Travis Sanheim had 5 PP points in 84 minutes last season....Provorov had 2 PP points in 128 minutes, 1 of which was on a goal by Sanheim, who never QB'd the unit alone
  • The season before, Provorov had 5 PP points in 147 minutes. 3 of those PPP Giroux recorded a point on as well, 1 other point was off a Gostisbehere goal
  • 3/5 of Provorov's PP points in 2016-2017 were also scored with the 1st unit. In summary: that's 5 PP points out of 12 PP points scored with the 2nd unit across 3 years of non-stop PP usage. Sanheim had 5 in one season, and little more than half a season of PP usage at that
  • Of all NHL defensemen with at least 200 PP minutes the last 3 seasons -- Ivan is at 414 minutes -- Provorov is dead last with 1.74 points/60, and that includes his 1st unit time. 2nd worst is Vlasic with 2.26 points/60. Changing the parameters to >300 minutes? Next worst is Shea Theodore at 2.86 p/60
Now Sanheim is possibly behind Niskanen too. This is Kafka-esque PP usage.

tenor.gif

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Listened to the game on 97.5. Sounded like from Tim and Coatesy that Farabee was a standout. They did not mention that Hagg was on the ice for the Rangers goal in the first period. They did mention a few times that Morin and Myers were pretty good at blocking out people. And for Hagg......all they talked about what a great hitter he was. Stewart's name was hardly mentioned except in connection to his shootout prowness. I think tonight's game showed what Hagg and Stewart are all about.....nothingness......

Reactions: kelmitchell

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
We need to try all new shooters in SO

The Flyers and shootouts are just weird.

Giroux was one of the top shootout players EVER until 2015 (42.5% after first 40 shots). He had a few weird attempts that did not go (I think vs Islanders and Anaheim) where he beat goalie and puck did not cross the line, and since then has not used the ~3 or so "go-to" moves he used to have.

Schenn left the Flyers and all of a sudden got good in shoot-outs.

Voracek now at 33.3% is the most consistent SO guy over last few years for the Flyers. He does what Giroux "used" to do. He basically has ~2-3 moves, and goes for them, and if he executes has a great % chance.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Flyers and shootouts are just weird.

Giroux was one of the top shootout players EVER until 2015 (42.5% after first 40 shots). He had a few weird attempts that did not go (I think vs Islanders and Anaheim) where he beat goalie and puck did not cross the line, and since then has not used the ~3 or so "go-to" moves he used to have.

Schenn left the Flyers and all of a sudden got good in shoot-outs.

Voracek now at 33.3% is the most consistent SO guy over last few years for the Flyers. He does what Giroux "used" to do. He basically has ~2-3 moves, and goes for them, and if he executes has a great % chance.

Girouxs move in OT tonight was pretty great and a guaranteed goal if Hank doesnt gamble on that poke check. I hope he keeps going in slowerl like that because he can really break a goalie down with his hands at that speed. Works for Patrick Kane.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I’m sorry, but Fletch really can’t think that Stewart is worth a contract... can be? I mean, this is preseason and he’s PLAYING FOR A JOB AND FOR MONEY, which are both on the line and, in the nicest way possible, he’s dog ****.

He doesn't seem rational with some of these players. They come across as pets. Pets make dog shit.

I think it's been all but confirmed Stewart is going to Europe, albeit still on his PTO.

Reactions: CapnZin

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Girouxs move in OT tonight was pretty great and a guaranteed goal if Hank doesnt gamble on that poke check. I hope he keeps going in slowerl like that because he can really break a goalie down with his hands at that speed. Works for Patrick Kane.

I think with Giroux on SO's it has all been confidence. He has some of the best hands in the league... but tried to shoot a lot in the last few years early. It seemed like he missed a few through bad luck and then tried shooting/weirder stuff than he did before.

His "reverse Datsyuk" was pretty much a guaranteed goal if the goalie did not pokecheck it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He doesn't seem rational with some of these players. They come across as pets. Pets make dog ****.

I think it's been all but confirmed Stewart is going to Europe, albeit still on his PTO.

Definitely seems like a personal attachment and not professional when it comes to guys like Stewart and Gabriel.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I wouldn’t be surprised if this team has a tough time scoring this year. This game was a snoozefest

Can’t see it, that top 6 is elite.

As long as slop like Hogg aren’t playing bringing them down, there is an above average puck mover on every line too.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I cling to the fact that Fletch has not actually given Stewy a contract yet. A few other PTO's guys got signed already.

He was awful tonight.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Can’t see it, that top 6 is elite.

As long as slop like Hogg aren’t playing bringing them down, there is an above average puck mover on every line too.
Don't worry, your making a new paragraph doesn't obscure the lack of emoticon after the first sentence.

But you're right, Jake looked like ass at least 3 times tonight. He looked good 0 times. And you're also right that we shouldn't be assuming that just because G and Couts and TK and Hayes and JVR/Farabee have all looked strong over varying lengths of time, 5 out of 6 ought to be good enough to consider it an Elite Top Six.

Sorry if I interrupted your entire-board flirt thing. I'll let you get back to it.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Myers was fine, as was Morin, but unfortunately neither did enough to dislodge Hagg in the minds of ..... whatever I don't even want to finish the sentence. When you add in the uncertainty, all this stuff is even more exhausting.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Definitely seems like a personal attachment and not professional when it comes to guys like Stewart and Gabriel.
This is what worried me about an old guard GM like Fletcher....

He is looking good with Hayes but then crap like Stewart negates it.....

We had a lot of that with Homer.....good beginning GM stint.....mediocre in the middle stint (thought he had redeemed himself a bit with the Carter and Richards trade).....terribly bad at the end (Vinny, Amac, cap hell, botched having Lavi as a coach by getting players totally contrary to his system, hardly any homegrown prospects in the farm system, etc)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad