GDT: Pre-Season #6 | New Jersey Devils @ New York Islanders | Brocktober 6th | 7:00 PM | F/3-0 L

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
The overreactions and hysteria here are already in midseason form. Nice to see.
I'll wait until November. The truth of the matter is that we better pray Dobson doesn't keep regressing, because its actually depressing to see this out of him. Isles really need to get defensemen. Its why I was so pissed when the Jackets took Mateychuk in 2022.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
I'll wait until November. The truth of the matter is that we better pray Dobson doesn't keep regressing, because its actually depressing to see this out of him. Isles really need to get defensemen. Its why I was so pissed when the Jackets took Mateychuk in 2022.
Him and Walhstrom ended up being disaster back to back picks in that draft

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Him and Walhstrom ended up being disaster back to back picks in that draft
Dobson is okay. Not a disaster with his point production. I think a lot of teams regret their picks in 2018 anyways. In a perfect world, we take Miller and Farabee.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Dobson is okay. Not a disaster with his point production. I think a lot of teams regret their picks in 2018 anyways. In a perfect world, we take Miller and Farabee.
Dobson is a net negative because hes so horrendous defensively. He regressed so badly last year and has not looked good so far in preseason. Its very sad.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I am definitely in the group that’s been more pessimistic than most going back to the tail end of last season. I preferred selling off some parts, including Mayfield and Varly at the TDL rather than doubling down and selling futures for a shiny toy like Horvat that still likely won’t get us to the finish line.

Fast forward a few months and I still don’t like what I see. With all that being said, people need to pump the brakes a little bit here. We haven’t played a single game and I may still be wrong. It’s happened before.

Reactions: Olliemets and MJF

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
What you mentioned is surely missing along with a few other parts. That’s why I feel when we added Bo, it wasn’t going to move the needle that much unless Walhstrom was used instead of Beau. Contrary to most I liked Beau on this team

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Yeah, not too encouraged going into the season. I never really was. Will keep my expectations neutral, and see how it plays out.

If they get off to a slow start, I would not hesitate to replace Lambert.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Some people might not be happy with the replacement.

At that point you have nothing to lose if the season is already slipping away.

Would love to see Q. He’s in the Trotz caliber of coaching and could maximize an avg roster.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Other than seeing how the youngsters/bubble guys are progressing, pre-season games mean almost zero regarding how the regular season will unfold.

Some of you are already convinced that this team sucks? Talk of firing the coach? smh

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Has Romanov played any games yet? I know he was coming off an injury. If so how's he looked

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Has Romanov played any games yet? I know he was coming off an injury. If so how's he looked
He has played 2-3 games thus far, he’s looked like himself. He’s pasted a few guys already, definitely no residual rust from his injury. How he defends and moves the puck, well that is still to be seen (since he’s played with half squads thus far).

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Yeah, not too encouraged going into the season. I never really was. Will keep my expectations neutral, and see how it plays out.

If they get off to a slow start, I would not hesitate to replace Lambert.
So you’re saying you’re hoping Lou names Johnny Mac the new Islanders head coach.

He has played 2-3 games thus far, he’s looked like himself. He’s pasted a few guys already, definitely no residual rust from his injury. How he defends and moves the puck, well that is still to be seen (since he’s played with half squads thus far).
Romanov and Pulock looked solid as a pairing. Romanov can play his game and it gives Pulock a different look as a partner. Dobson playing with Pelech looks light years better than Dobson and Romanov. It’s a quality top 4 that personally I feel confident in.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah, you can close your eyes and ignore context as much as you want. Ignorance is bliss.

Isn't ignoring the fact that it's a pre-season game ignoring part of the context?

I don't think anyone would suggest losing to the Devils B squad during pre-season is an indicator of a successful season but I do think putting too much stock into pre-season games is a mistake.

I've often said it takes around ten games for teams to settle in and expect that to continue to be true. The pre-season is a very different animal for veterans and B squads. Veterans can phone it in to a degree, especially when the game starts to slip away from them. That's not an excuse and I'm not saying that is exactly what happened, it's just a reality of the pre-season sometimes and we should be aware of that. Why expend tons of energy and effort for a game that is meaningless?

There are fans who are unhappy with the off-season and I get that, I'm not thrilled with what was done (or wasn't done) but this team is better on paper to start the year than the team that started last year. We'll see if it's enough to improve on A) the regular season and B) the playoffs, if we get there. The cap is finally going to rise and this is Lamoriello's final chance to show an improvement for me.

Reactions: LeapOnOver and MJF

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
There are fans who are unhappy with the off-season and I get that, I'm not thrilled with what was done (or wasn't done) but this team is better on paper to start the year than the team that started last year. We'll see if it's enough to improve on A) the regular season and B) the playoffs, if we get there. The cap is finally going to rise and this is Lamoriello's final chance to show an improvement for me.
this.

but I was told this is the same team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad