Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season #5: Mon, Sept. 23 2019, FLYERS at Bruins, 7:00 pm ET

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
They are arguably correct. They modified the rule 5 years ago:

* Rule 38.4 (viii) has been modified to allow broader discretion to Hockey Operations to assist the referees in determining the legitimacy of all potential goals (e.g., to ensure they are "good hockey goals"). The revised Rule will allow Hockey Operations to correct a broader array of situations where video review clearly establishes that a "goal" or "no goal" call on the ice has been made in error. The new expanded rule will also allow Hockey Operations to provide guidance to referees on goal and potential goal plays where the referee has blown his whistle (or intended to blow his whistle) after having lost sight of the puck.

There have been a few goals allowed over last few years in the NHL when the whistle was blown already.

The problem is that it is just so inconsistently assessed.

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I believe this is the current rule as it applies to the goal. Let's see if anything is attached to that tonight.

31.2 Disputes - The Referees shall have general supervision of the game
and shall have full control of all game officials and players during the
game, including stoppages; and in case of any dispute, their decision
shall be final.

As there is a human factor involved in blowing the whistle to stop
play, the Referee may deem the play to be stopped slightly prior to the
whistle actually being blown. The fact that the puck may come loose
or cross the goal line prior to the sound of the whistle has no bearing if
the Referee has ruled that the play had been stopped prior to this
happening.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
No matter, stupid and selfish play by Hayes that'll be called 100% of the time. Is he used to getting even up calls for that in NY?
I thought it was a good goal. The ref who blew the whistle was behind the net looking at the play. He didn't actually blow it until the puck squirted out. Elliott never really had it. At the other end, with teams reversed, I'd want that goal for the Flyers.

Hayes, well, looking like a Ranger again. Hopefully he gets it out of his system.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They are arguably correct. They modified the rule 5 years ago:

* Rule 38.4 (viii) has been modified to allow broader discretion to Hockey Operations to assist the referees in determining the legitimacy of all potential goals (e.g., to ensure they are "good hockey goals"). The revised Rule will allow Hockey Operations to correct a broader array of situations where video review clearly establishes that a "goal" or "no goal" call on the ice has been made in error. The new expanded rule will also allow Hockey Operations to provide guidance to referees on goal and potential goal plays where the referee has blown his whistle (or intended to blow his whistle) after having lost sight of the puck.

There have been a few goals allowed over last few years in the NHL when the whistle was blown already.

Conveniently (for Pittsburgh) they didnt allow this goal in the deciding game of the 2017 Cup that would have given Nashville a lead.

Last edited:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Braun's mobility is concerning.

Elliott's everything is concerning. (Free Felix?)

Myers puck-moving is concerning.

________

We were pretty damn good the first half of the game. A lot of good stuff.

Then we stopped possessing the puck. Too many Scott Gordon style flip passes instead of clean breakouts.

I know he'll get love because of the goal, but Twarynski came back down to earth. His line with 21 & 44 sucked.

NAK, Bunny, Morin, and Friedman were the bubble guys that played pretty decent.

The Hayes, Oskar, Bunny line was pretty damn good. The Couturier line was incredible early, then slumped away.

Travo and Ghost did some good things, but were not helped by their partners.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Braun's mobility is concerning.

Elliott's everything is concerning. (Free Felix?)

Myers puck-moving is concerning.

________

We were pretty damn good the first half of the game. A lot of good stuff.

Then we stopped possessing the puck. Too many Scott Gordon style flip passes instead of clean breakouts.

I know he'll get love because of the goal, but Twarynski came back down to earth. His line with 21 & 44 sucked.

NAK, Bunny, Morin, and Friedman were the bubble guys that played pretty decent.

The Hayes, Oskar, Bunny line was pretty damn good. The Couturier line was incredible early, then slumped away.

Travo and Ghost did some good things, but were not helped by their partners.
#FreeTravisAndShayne

On a serious note, this is why I wish the top 4 was going to be Provorov-Ghost Sanheim-Niskanen... it just seems so much stronger. Then we could've went after a vet LD to play with Myers on the bottom pair.

Reactions: kelmitchell

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Conveniently (for Pittsburgh) they didnt allow this goal in the deciding game of the 2016 Cup that would have given Nashville a lead.

The NHL rule-book is pretty poorly written at times in my estimation and different rules arguably contradict each other on occasion... and there are big grey areas.

Quite frustrating at times to read and realise when you have a legal background.

occultist goat

Mar 16, 2019
that very last sequence was lol
200w.webp

im not a conspiracy theorist but i honestly wouldn't be suprised if the leauge was really and intently out to f*** the flyers over
shit hapens to much of a pattern for me to think its coincidental.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad