Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season #4: Sat., Sept. 21, 2019, Rangers 1 at FLYERS 4

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No talent and no IQ
Yeah, it blows my mind that he's still in the NHL and especially still on this roster.

Cement hands and a cement head are a bad combination, but whats funny is he hits like a feather pillow. Gudas could actually hit people and do some damage... Hagg just lightly bumps into them after giving them the puck. The one thing he's known for and he sucks at it.

Then we watch Sanheim play and do stuff like in the gifs above and somehow that guy is the one who is consistently misused/underused.

Reactions: Rebels57

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
No one has mentioned that Provorov actually looked good on the PP, good crisp passes right on sticks.

Wonder if he got a Goldilocks stick this year (not too long, not too short . . .)

And not just the power play.

Aside from one flub against the Rags, Provy is looking a lot more like the pre-2018-19 version when he was so reliable with the puck, especially on exits from the defensive zone.

Ivan's mistakes with the puck last season were concerning and unexpected (by me, at least). Whether it was a radical change in stick pattern, a bum shoulder, defensive partner issues, a substantial increase in his TOI%, an uptick in quality of competition, or a combination of all of the above, it's a good sign that he seems to be getting this part of his game back on track.

Reactions: Rebels57

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Passing accuracy isn't Provorov's problem on the PP. It's the fact that he's exceptionally easy for PKers to read. He telegraphs everything. There is no element of deception to his game, and considering how much our PP units have relied on tricky play at the point (going back to Streit before Ghost, and Timonen before him), that's a problem. Our dmen have to operate as a secondary PP QB, not someone to be set up for bombs by forwards. Provy isn't good at that.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Passing accuracy isn't Provorov's problem on the PP. It's the fact that he's exceptionally easy for PKers to read. He telegraphs everything. There is no element of deception to his game, and considering how much our PP units have relied on tricky play at the point (going back to Streit before Ghost, and Timonen before him), that's a problem. Our dmen have to operate as a secondary PP QB, not someone to be set up for bombs by forwards. Provy isn't good at that.

Remember how we said that Provy could basically do things at almost a robotic pace and manner? Well...

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And not just the power play.

Aside from one flub against the Rags, Provy is looking a lot more like the pre-2018-19 version when he was so reliable with the puck, especially on exits from the defensive zone.

Ivan's mistakes with the puck last season were concerning and unexpected (by me, at least). Whether it was a radical change in stick pattern, a bum shoulder, defensive partner issues, a substantial increase in his TOI%, an uptick in quality of competition, or a combination of all of the above, it's a good sign that he seems to be getting this part of his game back on track.

He does seem to be playing with more poise and decisiveness early on. I would not at all be surprised if his shoulder was an issue last season. I'm dealing with shoulder issues over 2 years after a hockey injury. Or maybe he was putting too much pressure on himself in a contract year. Could be a lot of things.

Reactions: Foggy14

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He does seem to be playing with more poise and decisiveness early on. I would not at all be surprised if his shoulder was an issue last season. I'm dealing with shoulder issues over 2 years after a hockey injury. Or maybe he was putting too much pressure on himself in a contract year. Could be a lot of things.

Maybe he had to poop the entire time.

Reactions: pit and Rebels57

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

I don't think he'll ever be a true PP QB, in the way the aforementioned players are/were; however, I actually do think that Provy could be a semi-successful as a PP QB if he were to make a few adjustments to his game while on the PP. When you have a guy like Giroux and a secondary playmaker like Jake on your PP you don't need to be a primary playmaker. I can see a scenario with the personnel we currently have where he could be successful. He would need be a distributor of the puck, which he can do. It would be nice if he could develop a head fake or shimmy (really anything to buy himself an extra second with the puck) or develop consistent no look passes and really open his game. But just as a role of distributor, I think he could successful. However, he would need to understand that role, and not attempt things he can't do.

And, I think that's his problem - he's been too selfish on the PP. He holds the puck too long, and is prone to taking poor shots on net. Now this is pure speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me if he believes he's better at PP QP than he actually is.

All of this should be moot, however, as to me the problem with him on either PP1 or PP2 is that we have a better in house options and better options in the pipeline. @Magua mentioned this previously, and I am in agreement. There's no point in trotting him out there when we have better options ready to go now, and potentially better options in a few years. If we didn't have other options, or we were buying time for others, then send him out there. But since we have other options....

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't think he'll ever be a true PP QB, in the way the aforementioned players are/were; however, I actually do think that Provy could be a semi-successful as a PP QB if he were to make a few adjustments to his game while on the PP. When you have a guy like Giroux and a secondary playmaker like Jake on your PP you don't need to be a primary playmaker. I can see a scenario with the personnel we currently have where he could be successful. He would need be a distributor of the puck, which he can do. It would be nice if he could develop a head fake or shimmy (really anything to buy himself an extra second with the puck) or develop consistent no look passes and really open his game. But just as a role of distributor, I think he could successful. However, he would need to understand that role, and not attempt things he can't do.

And, I think that's his problem - he's been too selfish on the PP. He holds the puck too long, and is prone to taking poor shots on net. Now this is pure speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me if he believes he's better at PP QP than he actually is.

All of this should be moot, however, as to me the problem with him on either PP1 or PP2 is that we have a better in house options and better options in the pipeline. @Magua mentioned this previously, and I am in agreement. There's no point in trotting him out there when we have better options ready to go now, and potentially better options in a few years. If we didn't have other options, or we were buying time for others, then send him out there. But since we have other options....

Yes. If you can't fool the PKers, then you better at least be making plays quickly, and Provorov doesn't do that. It isn't an ideal combination.

Reactions: VladDrag

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad