Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
tenor.gif
Excellent GIF usage!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just rewatched game on DVR because I was drunk last night (had a BBQ). Hayes and Jake are going to wreak havoc together.
They have the ability to cycle against teams wearing them down along the boards(along with Oscar) while maintaining possession and then creating a scoring chance. Nice to have. Gives us a different "look" for teams to deal with.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think that's true. Laughton hasn't been used once at wing this preseason, with anyone above 4th line quality. Given that Andreoff is a nobody who has looked the part, who is 4C if Laughton is competing for 3W?

NAK is waivers eligible, so he is competing for a press box 12/13 too. He doesn't have to leapfrog Raffl/Pitlick. Someone like Twarynski does. I'm not sure either will anyway, at least if Pitlick is healthy.

We might not have a 3C for the beginning of the year. That is a monkey wrench of an opportunity. More likely to me is Rubtsov is in direction competition with Frost for that 3C/3W job. I don't know if they feel any more comfortable with Rubtsov as 4C, though it's rightfully plausible they do. That's really the only Laughton 3rd line option. But he's far from certain.

Rubtsov is 4C or LHV, because his defensive game is ahead of his offensive game right now, and he shows he has the NHL body to handle 4C.
Laughton played LW about half the time last year, and AV and Fletcher have mentioned him as a 3rd line candidate before the Patrick injury (was reported).

I'd be more comfortable with Frost at 3C and Rubtsov at 4C than Laughton at either spot.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No one has mentioned that Provorov actually looked good on the PP, good crisp passes right on sticks.
Wonder if he got a Goldilocks stick this year (not too long, not too short . . .)

Reactions: bennysflyers16

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
No one has mentioned that Provorov actually looked good on the PP, good crisp passes right on sticks.
Wonder if he got a Goldilocks stick this year (not too long, not too short . . .)

He was fine....“good” is a stretch. I’d say he managed the unit alright, playing short pitch and catch mostly with top talents who can do more with it. We know he’s talented; and a fair number of his 12 career PP points have been with the top unit. I just don’t see anything special on that front as a playmaker or shooter or puck retriever, and while he’s not responsible for all of the second unit’s troubles, he’s complicit as an umbrella guy. In a world where we didn’t have a better PP QB, I’d be more willing to give him rope as the unit talent improves.

Yet, Sanheim came in with a worse second unit in a third the time, and I thought he made even better plays. It is sad that a superior PP talent — who doesn’t play top pair ES minutes (maybe third pair) and doesn’t PK — is odd man out. How would he have looked? It comes down to roles, and what is expected out of a #1 defenseman. I do expect Sanheim to play on PP2, since every unit combination has had 2D, but he’s first to go. Whenever Ghost gets shipped off, a thought over which many rub their hands together, we know who will anchor PP1.

Stick looks the same by the way (eye test). It’s a normal — probably still above average — length, and certainly not his original one. He just hunches over and has his bottom hand unnaturally low, as usual. The whole mini stick thing was nonsense to begin with.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad