GDT: Pre-Season #3: Thu., Sept. 19, 2019, Bruins at FLYERS, 7:00 pm ET

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Hopefully they get Sandstrom in this game. Get him acclimated to the WFC. We might end up needing him sooner rather than later. You never know. It certainly wouldn't shock me if he moves to the front of the call-up line quickly.

Also, I'm hoping Rubtsov and Vorobyev get the night off. It would be 3 games in 4 nights for those two. I'd like them to be seen at their best. Not dragging ass after a hectic two weeks on the ice with little rest. Get them in again on Saturday when refreshed imo.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Also, I'm hoping Rubtsov and Vorobyev get the night off. It would be 3 games in 4 nights for those two. I'd like them to be seen at their best. Not dragging ass after a hectic two weeks on the ice with little rest. Get them in again on Saturday when refreshed imo.

On the other hand, if you're making a decision about NHL readiness for a 90+ game system, how a player plays "dragging ass" is an important input - a lot of guys look great when fresh in October but disappear in February.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Those extra looks at Nate ****ing Prosser will surely help though. Wylie could go for his ELC. Why not give him more time?

Wylie needs to have a great fourth season in the WHL to earn an ELC. Just like Twarynski did in 17-18. He wasn't showing anything at camp that would have made them sign him up early. It was all a fantasy.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Wylie is a #127 pick, he's made solid progress, but he doesn't have any outstanding attribute.

Guys like that need to continue to make incremental improvements in their game, year after year, because they lack the talent to get chances unless they have a polished game.

He has made that kind of progress with a really solid CHL season last year, but just compare him to Zamula and you can see the difference between a marginal prospect and a kid who is ticketed to the NHL.

It's hard to judge how much of his CHL production is talent v scheme:
Wylie 67g 11-36 47 +33; PO: 10g 1-4 5 +3 looks impressive, but,
Christiansen 67g 12-32 44 +26; PO 10g 1-7 8 +4
on the same team is only 2 months older and went undrafted

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Wylie needs to have a great fourth season in the WHL to earn an ELC. Just like Twarynski did in 17-18. He wasn't showing anything at camp that would have made them sign him up early. It was all a fantasy.
Again, wasn’t saying the team should’ve handed him one. My comment was questioning the decision to send him back so soon. Even though it is preseason there are still some bigger and better players than in Jr.

Why not see how he plays besides the viewing from the Rookie Game. That’s all.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And still have 53 players in camp.

AV wants to see players like Bigras (#32 pick a few years ago) and get a feel how he'd fit on the Flyers if they have a string of injuries (we've never seen that happen, have we?) - think of the Phantoms as the Flyers' "practice squad," the guys who'll have to step in if the crap hits the fan.

So between deciding who makes the roster, getting veteran AHL players (most likely to be called up) up to speed with the Flyer schemes, and getting the veterans ready for the season, there's no practice or game time for prospects they're sending back to juniors.

I sure hope the Phantoms have some alternatives to Brennan in case of an emergency "break glass" situation arises - he's gone from bad to terrible.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
They only have four preseason games left before they leave for Europe.
I expect Sunday them to cut down to around 28-30 and then cut down to probably 25ish for the trip to Switzerland/Czech Republic.

They will be at 23 for the opener but the extras will stay on just as a thanks after being waived.

Reactions: CNote

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Again, wasn’t saying the team should’ve handed him one. My comment was questioning the decision to send him back so soon. Even though it is preseason there are still some bigger and better players than in Jr.

Why not see how he plays besides the viewing from the Rookie Game. That’s all.

They are more concerned with getting the NHL and AHL team situated at this point. There's a lot of questions to be answered.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
FORWARDS (12)
10 - Andy Andreoff RW
14 - Sean Couturier C
25 - James van Riemsdyk LW
28 - Claude Giroux LW
48 - Morgan Frost C
49 - Joel Farabee RW
50 - German Rubtsov C
51 - Kyle Criscuolo RW
62 - Nicolas Aube-Kubel RW
81 - Carsen Twarynski LW
82 - Connor Bunnaman C
93 - Jakub Voracek RW

DEFENSEMEN (8)
5 - Philippe Myers
9 - Ivan Provorov
15 - Matt Niskanen
20 - Chris Bigras
26 - Tyler Wotherspoon
53 - Shayne Gostisbehere
61 - Justin Braun
80 - Rob Michel

GOALTENDERS (2)
34 - Alex Lyon
37 - Brian Elliott

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Some thoughts on the above:
- I'm imagining we'll see Farabee at RW with Couts & G.
- There's no Hayes on the roster but his linemates are. I'm thinking maybe Frost will get a chance to center the two of them for the night.
- Don't understand why Sanheim isn't getting the start tonight since there are 5 other projected starters playing (provided that they are expecting his linemate to be Myers & not Hagg)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I hope it's Ghost-Myers tonight, and then Sanheim-Braun on Saturday. They need to take a lot at different possible pairings.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
FORWARDS (12)
10 - Andy Andreoff RW
14 - Sean Couturier C
25 - James van Riemsdyk LW
28 - Claude Giroux LW
48 - Morgan Frost C
49 - Joel Farabee RW
50 - German Rubtsov C
51 - Kyle Criscuolo RW
62 - Nicolas Aube-Kubel RW
81 - Carsen Twarynski LW
82 - Connor Bunnaman C
93 - Jakub Voracek RW

DEFENSEMEN (8)
5 - Philippe Myers
9 - Ivan Provorov
15 - Matt Niskanen
20 - Chris Bigras
26 - Tyler Wotherspoon
53 - Shayne Gostisbehere
61 - Justin Braun
80 - Rob Michel

GOALTENDERS (2)
34 - Alex Lyon
37 - Brian Elliott

Noice!

Why isn't Sandstrom playing though?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I hope it's Ghost-Myers tonight, and then Sanheim-Braun on Saturday. They need to take a lot at different possible pairings.

I actually prefer those pairings and I hope they at least give them a look instead of just deciding Ghost-Braun is a lock. Sanheim was our best 5v5 defender last year and having him on the 3rd D pair seems counterintuitive.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
G-Couts-Farabee
JVR-Frost-Voracek
NAK-Rubstov-Andreoff
Twar-Bunny-Crisco

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I expect Sunday them to cut down to around 28-30 and then cut down to probably 25ish for the trip to Switzerland/Czech Republic.

They will be at 23 for the opener but the extras will stay on just as a thanks after being waived.
There are going to be some weird things associated with starting the year in Europe. Last year those teams were allowed to travel with extra guys, but they aren't allowed to participate in practice. At the very least they will likely have a 3rd goalie come with them. Hell, maybe they'll even bring Chris Stewart along. Will be cheaper for him to travel to England.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad