GDT: Pre-Competition • Dec. 21 • Canada 4, Sweden 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HemskyToHall*

Couldn't watch this game, but anyone mind telling me how Lander and Roy played? Greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Lander - Nothing really special to note here, he was the 3rd best player on his line but I believe he did well with the faceoffs and penalty kill. But I can not give a full scouting report because I was too focused on potential pick in the upcoming draft, Gabriel Landeskog.

Roy - Was the best player. Look solid and confident, an unfortunate bounce separated him from a shutout. He needs to work on his rebound control however. But imo, he is the #1 goalie.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Game started good, intense, lot's of tackles.. the ref called too much crap both in the first and second period though he really wanted to be a part in this game. He shouldve let several penalties go from both teams. I fell asleep in the intermission between the second and third period though :p anyone with a quick resume of the third? ;)

Roy was great during the first 2 periods while Landeskog and Cehlin was the best swedish players and while Larsson was pretty good the first period he wasnt very good at all in the second, he mustve had about 10 giveaways and got a bad penalty even though I think Schwartz(?) dived a bit there.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Home refs.. oldest concept in sports. Don't want to upset the home crowd. Especially if you are the same nationality as the home team (as was the case today).

It happens.

But also, our (homer) announcers get so ridiculously upset about it, which I definitely think influences a lot of Swedes opinions.

But really there is something to it.
It's just an exhibition game for crying out loud. At least wait until the real games begin.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Would've watched the game if I remembered Landeskog is playing in the WJC (haven't followed prospects and the draft this year). My favorite player in the 2011 draft.

Daryl

Jul 22, 2010
Couldn't watch this game, but anyone mind telling me how Lander and Roy played? Greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Roy played pretty good,one unlucky goal shortside which ruined his shutout,but in my opinion he is the #1 goaltender for Canada. He was obviously the more busy goaltender than Swedens goaltender but he managed to keep them away and only let one in.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
For those of you who missed it and aren't aware, the Canadian games are always put up on demand by TSN here under Video Library > WJHC On-Demand.

They had some audio sync issues with the Swiss game that have even been fixed now, which I'm happy about.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Game started good, intense, lot's of tackles.. the ref called too much crap both in the first and second period though he really wanted to be a part in this game. He shouldve let several penalties go from both teams. I fell asleep in the intermission between the second and third period though :p anyone with a quick resume of the third? ;)

Roy was great during the first 2 periods while Landeskog and Cehlin was the best swedish players and while Larsson was pretty good the first period he wasnt very good at all in the second, he mustve had about 10 giveaways and got a bad penalty even though I think Schwartz(?) dived a bit there.

I have always wondered why it isn't "dove" instead of "dived", it sounds just terrible!

Frank Bascombe

Apr 28, 2010
Larsson and Cotourier was very underwhelming. Larsson played like Rundblad last year.
Järnkrok was pretty bad as well. And the refs sucked.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
That was a godawful game, probably the worst hockey I've watched all year. I'm not going to harp too much on an exhibition game (on the second half of a back to back no less) but Canada looked terrible, even as they were being gifted an endless stream of powerplays and 5-on-3. Sweden didn't look a whole lot more convincing but they deserved better than a 4-1 final, that's for sure.

Best players on Canada: Roy, Foligno, Ellis...Schwartz-Schenn-Leblanc looked good but why not keep them together on the PP instead of having stonehands Kassian handle the puck? I know he scored, but still.
Disappointing: Couturier, Cowen, Despres

Best players on Sweden: Cehlin, Landeskog, Fasth
Disappointing: Jarnkrok, Nemeth, Larsson

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I don't care about his age.

They should have made our natural leader team the captain, Gabriel Landeskog.

Very, very impressive and strong on the ice.

Well, he is probably leading the way in the dressing room anyway, he is pretty vocal from what I've heard and read about him.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's hard to score goals and get momentum going when you get penalties for everyting, while the other team gets away with the exact same things. Canada is good enough to win without having the refs hand them the game on a silver platter. It's the same deal every single time.

Complaining about the officiating everytime you lose doesn't mean your team deserved to win. Why is it that everytime Canada wins it's because of the officiating? Even though you state yourself Canada is good enough to win......

Perhaps Canada was just the better team?

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Complaining about the officiating everytime you lose doesn't mean your team deserved to win. Why is it that everytime Canada wins it's because of the officiating? Even though you state yourself Canada is good enough to win......

Perhaps Canada was just the better team?

So because their good enough to win on their own actually winning the game on their own is not important as long as they win?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well if Larsson and Couturier (off this game) were considered #1's before --UGH!!

LANDESKOG at least looked good even though he didn;t score...

BUT my firends-there ain't no Crosby or Stamkos or for d-men no Doughty in this draft..Looking for "special"--hard to find from the rft eligibles in that game..

On the other hand---NHL 'ready" --MARCUS FOLIGNO--again! The guy has figured out how to clone HOLMSTROM in screening goalies in front of the crease..He looks like a man among Jr. boys in coming out of the corners taking it to the net...HE looks "ready" for NHL style hockey..

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Well maybe if Sweden didn't play dirty enough to take all those penalties they may have made more of a game of it?

You know the bad reffing isnt only swedes getting called through the whole enchilada but the absence of whistles when canada did the same exact things?

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
I don't think either Canadian goalie has played himself out of consideration for the #1 spot yet, that is pretty obvious. I wonder if they will play both tomorrow night.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You know the bad reffing isnt only swedes getting called through the whole enchilada but the absence of whistles when canada did the same exact things?

You know there are lots of infractions that don't get called on Canada's opposition too? I agree that the officiating is bad, but I have yet to see any substantial proof that the officiating has favoured Canada in any way. Sometimes Canada gets breaks, sometimes the opposition gets breaks.

The only thing that I have noticed that's been consistent is that anytime a team loses to Canada, their fans continue to whine about the officiating.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
You know there are lots of infractions that don't get called on Canada's opposition too? I agree that the officiating is bad, but I have yet to see any substantial proof that the officiating has favoured Canada in any way. Sometimes Canada gets breaks, sometimes the opposition gets breaks.

The only thing that I have noticed that's been consistent is that anytime a team loses to Canada, their fans continue to whine about the officiating.

So it's never you and always everyone else? ;) did you just /thread yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad