GDT: Pre-Competition • Dec. 21 • Canada 4, Sweden 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Wow...one poster here needs to stop whining about the refereeing. International officiating is usually poor. Get over it. Slash on Erixon should have been called and the first 10 minute "head" shot penalty was shoulder to shoulder, but was tough to call...it's always easier to call from your couch with instant slow motion replay.

Anyways, not much flow to the game. Canada looked slow. I hope that was due to fatigue from playing last night and traveling. No one really stood out for me except Roy. Not much you can do when your defenseman tips it top corner on you. I was most impressed with Landeskog.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Wow...one poster here needs to stop whining about the refereeing. International officiating is usually poor. Get over it. Slash on Erixon should have been called and the first 10 minute "head" shot penalty was shoulder to shoulder, but was tough to call...it's always easier to call from your couch with instant slow motion replay.

Anyways, not much flow to the game. Canada looked slow. I hope that was due to fatigue from playing last night and traveling. No one really stood out for me except Roy. Not much you can do when your defenseman tips it top corner on you. I was most impressed with Landeskog.

In no time, and in no place, is travelling 35 minutes between Oshawa and Toronto grounds for an excuse...

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008

Just curious and totally off topic but do they teach American spelling in BC?

You spelled it traveling, where I've always spelled it travelling.

Not meant to be sarcastic or anything, I'm just curious.:)

Cheli

Jul 6, 2008
Toronto/Waterloo
Got home a short time ago from the game. Haven't read through the entire thread (and don't have the time/patience to do so at the moment) but here are a few thoughts:

- Eakin impressed me. I didn't know much about him before the game, but he did a lot of little things right. Made some good plays, finished his checks, etc. it was nice to see him get the empty netter because IMO he had a pretty good game.

- Larsson #10 (the forward) seemed like he was out there way too often to actually be on the 4th line.. I copied down the lines ~12 hours ago from the OP (I think they've been edited since) but mostly referred to it for Canadian player numbers when I couldn't read the name. But seriously, I saw #10 out there constantly and I looked and had him written on Sweden's 4th line.

- Roy looked solid. The goal against him had a crazy deflection, I'm not really sure how it happened? It didn't look like there was anything/anyone in the way..

- Underwhelmed with the reffing. Some weak calls for contact. Which I'm used to with international reffing, but at the same time.. there was stuff going on which was worse/more blatant than the stuff they actually called, especially from the Swedes IMO. If that's how you're going to call it, call it like that consistently. I don't even understand how the Swedish cross-checking penalty was worth a misconduct - I only saw it from one angle though (Canadian player's back to the camera) - but it didn't look any worse than an average hockey shove. Canada had some holding/hooking along the boards going on that went uncalled a few times.

- Did Schenn get double-shifted and/or played with two lines randomly? I saw him with the usual Leblanc and Schwartz, but I also saw him with other guys.. I believe Eakin and Johansen? Maybe a different guy the first time I noticed.

- Forgot how good Ellis is on the PP. Watching him hold the line, I almost wanted to hear what was being said on the TSN broadcast. I think Schwartz on the point with him was an interesting choice, and not altogether a bad one, they got a few good point shots in and a few good chances (and a goal).

- Pretty good atmosphere. Sat beside an adorable kid in a Crosby Pens jersey. Saw a guy in a Myers Sabres t-shirt and was slightly amused.

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
its unfair cause say the reffing goes on like this and canada wins the tournament then that would be a pretty tarnished win wouldn't you agree? not saying we'd still win with better reffing but we might and most of us would rather lose a fair game than win a joke of a game like tonights
idk a lot of what you are saying is correct but saying we should be ashamed cause of that?... c'mon man, we'd like fair hockey as much as anyone

You two are saying the same thing though. However, you are looking at some "Swenglish" here. When a Swede says, "I would be ashamed..." (in Swedish), he doesn't mean that the team or the himself REALLY IS ASHAMED.... what you mean is that you are irritated that your team seems to get an unfair edge, which makes it hard to enjoy a potential victory to its fullest.

Languages is a funny thing, and when translating verbage as opposed to intended point, they sure can get confusing.

At any rate, I rather have the refs call an overly conservative game at this point than to have it go like last year when ****-for-brains skated around and hit people off the puck in the face, etc.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Got home a short time ago from the game. Haven't read through the entire thread (and don't have the time/patience to do so at the moment) but here are a few thoughts:

Did the team look as slow in person as they did on TV? I don't remember ever seeing a Canadian team look that slow.

Cheli

Jul 6, 2008
Toronto/Waterloo
Did the team look as slow in person as they did on TV? I don't remember ever seeing a Canadian team look that slow.

Well considering I didn't see it on TV, it's hard to make a comparison :laugh:

There were definitely sluggish portions of the game, but I also recall a few fast shifts by Canada - obviously very dependent on the players. The Swedes have a significantly faster team though - I did notice that.

The place looked pretty packed except for a few seats at ice level and some in the absolute nosebleeds, so I'm sure other people there will chime in shortly if they haven't already.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Regarding Roy... Pretty much every Swedish announcer pronounces it "Ro-ah". Is that correct or are Swedish announcers just Pejorative Slured?

His last name is pronounced like Patrick`s. It is wah with an unglided o instead of the a.

boozeash

Apr 19, 2007
Ottawa
I get what you're saying. And i agree. *****ing about the reffs are totally unneccesairy and very counter productive.

I however have to say i'm not at all suprised that a lot of Swedes on theese boards complain about it. Seeing as the media and the commentators over here always play the bias card.

I don't like the IIHF ruling any how and i think it messes up a lot of good games.

Canadian Announcers are biased as well. Pierre especially.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I've notice Swedish people always have nice hair. :)

Even Matts Sundin had beautiful hair before he was attacked by the Male Pattern Baldness Monster. Such an evil monster.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Was at the ACC, the only thing I can say about this Canada team is that they are a mirror image of Dave Cameron's Mississauga squad. No real pure offensive stars, just a ******** of trapping and boring defensive hockey and just enough scoring ability to make good on their chances.

It was an absolute snooze of a game from the stands. The Swedes definitely didn't have the same energy level as the Canadians but it was probably because they were lulled into a coma.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Just curious and totally off topic but do they teach American spelling in BC?

You spelled it traveling, where I've always spelled it travelling.

Not meant to be sarcastic or anything, I'm just curious.:)

I'd guess that a browser's auto-spellcheck could be in play.

KC91

Jan 3, 2009
In no time, and in no place, is travelling 35 minutes between Oshawa and Toronto grounds for an excuse...

From Oshawa, bus to Niagra Falls after the Swiss game, then to Toronto today. That's quite a bit of travel on a back to back.

Pyke*

Was at the ACC, the only thing I can say about this Canada team is that they are a mirror image of Dave Cameron's Mississauga squad. No real pure offensive stars, just a ******** of trapping and boring defensive hockey and just enough scoring ability to make good on their chances.

It was an absolute snooze of a game from the stands. The Swedes definitely didn't have the same energy level as the Canadians but it was probably because they were lulled into a coma.

Honestly, the Swedes had a better energy level than the Canadians. The fact that Canada played last night was part of it, but Sweden had a lot of jump for much of the game. Lehner was really good too.

As to the reffing, I'd say 6 or 7 of the 10 powerplays were deserved, and the refs missed 2-3 calls against Canadians.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Yet Pierre is actually American.

He was born in the US but grew up in Montreal. He's as Canadian as they come.

As for the Swedes you have to remember this was the first time most of them played in a small rink in a long time and maybe the first time ever for some. That's obviously an advantage for the NA teams but as they get more accustomed the Europeans teams will learn small ice tactics.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
He was born in the US but he probably holds Canadian citizenship as well since I'm pretty sure he was raised in Montreal.

yep. Dual citizen, grew up in montreal, grew up a habs fan. He did get most of his early coaching work done in the US though, before making it to the bigs in pittsburgh. His family also lives in montreal and he has stated it would be hard to move them from there if he went back into coaching.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Couldn't watch this game, but anyone mind telling me how Lander and Roy played? Greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad