GDT: Pre-Competition • Canada vs. Switzerland • Dec. 20 • 7:00 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

the word*

Braden Schenn had a very disappointing WJC last year and again he is trying but not finishing and being very sloppy with the puck. I really question his puck skills and speed. He may be demoted to the 4th line if he keeps this up.

Schwartz scored a nice goal but Canada better not depend on that line. In fact even Schwartz didn't impress me that much outside of two or three plays the entire game. Hopefully hes saving it up for when it matters. I hope to see some line changes.

Leblanc and Couturier stirred the drink all night but no jump out of your seat plays or players tonight.

Visentin looked shaky, misplayed the puck three times and was out of position constantly. That ain't going to cut it, I hope he isn't in net when the games count.

Sandino

Feb 3, 2006
That Swiss backup was really good tonight. Wouldnt surprise me if he got in a couple of games.

trying but not finishing and being very sloppy with the puck. I really question his puck skills and speed. He may be demoted to the 4th line if he keeps this up.

Have to disagree since I kept my eye on that line in particular. If anyone, maybe Jaden Schwartz, but nothing to worry about. First game and all. There were only two instances where the puck hopped over the stick and the play died, and there was a broken play which was caused by being double teamed. In the midst of this, the unit didn't have to rely on grinding and outworking the opponent, as they generated nice chances off the rush, Leblanc & Schenn did a solid job distributing the puck, and Schwartz had a few opportunities, one which he buried with a nice one-timer in the 1st.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

They get tired of pushing us to be favourites. It's been pretty evident from the beginning that's what's going on, obviously take a game against the Swiss with a grain of salt but there's offensive skill on this team and there's big bodies that can skate and win puck races/battles. And there's a D group that went virtually untested as there was no offensive zone presence from the Swiss but it looks like a strong group.

Hi MoO,

I assume you are Canadian... :)

I also think that is builds TV Ratings. Canada lost to the US last year - Canadians tune in by the millions and shed a collective tear. This year they push the US as favourites... if Canada does well people tune in to see if they can knock off the US. Builds suspence as apposed to "Canada will dominate".

I have thought from Day 1 Canada had the best team. No stars but solid, top to bottom. Everyone told me otherwise.

I know, I know... it is only the Swiss but this tournament has Vancouver 2006 written all over it.

:)

NewHabsEra*

Braden Schenn had a very disappointing WJC last year and again he is trying but not finishing and being very sloppy with the puck. I really question his puck skills and speed. He may be demoted to the 4th line if he keeps this up.

Schenn never impressed me much as well..

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I thought Schenn was Canada's weakest player.

Fought the puck. Made mistakes.

:(

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
I have to agree with others. Brayden Schenn doesn't have the talent and the finish to be on the top line. He didn't impress me last year, and he was okay tonight.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Could say the same about Cowen, couldn't we?

Yep. Tough to evaluate defensive Dmen in an 8-0 route though....tough to critically evaluate anyone though. Your only gonna see the best these guys have to offer in games where they are actually being tested.

Critiquing anyone in these games is virtually pointless. Schenn put up 7 points in 7 games in the AHL...I think he's fine. He's not supposed to wow you offensively, that was Skinner, Seguin, O'Reilly, Duchene. We've got projected 3rd and 2nd line centers on our top line.

HemskyToHall*

Yep. Tough to evaluate defensive Dmen in an 8-0 route though....tough to critically evaluate anyone though. Your only gonna see the best these guys have to offer in games where they are actually being tested.

Critiquing anyone in these games is virtually pointless. Schenn put up 7 points in 7 games in the AHL...I think he's fine.

This.

Visentin looked shaky, I think if we were facing a USA team, he would have not gotten a shutout.

Don't we play Sweden next game? I think we should rotate goalies. Vistenen

Sandino

Feb 3, 2006
How did Ashton look? Any chance he moves up from the 4th line?

Had a strong game. Best player on his line in my opinion. Very hard in on the forecheck, used his size and strength and had a few chances. Doubt he will move up, not a knock on him, the team is very well balanced on paper.

the word*

Critiquing anyone in these games is virtually pointless. Schenn put up 7 points in 7 games in the AHL...I think he's fine.

Agree. Some players had above average games and some weren't very noticeable. That's about it. Only thing I come away with from this game is that with Visentin in net we wont go very far. If hes out of position like that and mishandling the puck against the US we are going to get lit up.

bottleCAPS

Jan 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
in Schenn's defense he hasn't played very much hockey these past few weeks due to injury, but he was pretty sloppy tonight. where he made up for that was in his board play, he cycled well and won the majority of the battles along the boards.

no one was overly flashy but I like this edition of Team Canada. they're big and aggressive and are going to play up and down hockey.

Tomorrow night will be a nice litmus test for them against Sweden.

the word*

Of the bottom line guys I thought Hamilton was the most impressive. Could be my Oiler bias though.

Ashton looked better offensively, Hamilton looked better defensively and had the crunch of the game.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Could say the same about Cowen, couldn't we?

Yes, we could. I just don't think that, when the tournament ends, Brayden Schenn will be leading us in scoring even though he's looked as the main guy by TSN because of his appearance last year and time spent in the AHL/NHL.

I still think that Brett Connolly and Jaden Schwartz will be Canada's best players offensively, but who knows?

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
In my eyes, Foligno-Couturier-Kassian stays put.

Connolly deserves some top line minutes.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
How was Kassian,Foligno?

Good and hard to clearly evaluate like all forwards in this game. Untested. Those two won puck battles and races all over the ice and knocked people over, but so did everyone. Foligno was doing good things all over the ice. But it was a game where Team Canada forwards couldn't do much wrong as a unit.

You aren't going to see anyone separate themselves until they are tested.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Ashton looked better offensively, Hamilton looked better defensively and had the crunch of the game.

Did he though? I thought Hamilton had more chances and created more, but Ashton actually produced. But like I said, could be my bias.

Either way, tough to tell too much from one blowout anyways. I'm more interested in the Sweden game.

Last edited:

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Good and hard to clearly evaluate like all forwards in this game. Untested. Those two won puck battles and races all over the ice and knocked people over, but so did everyone. Foligno was doing good things all over the ice. But it was a game where Team Canada forwards couldn't do much wrong as a unit.

You aren't going to see anyone separate themselves until they are tested.

thanks for the info .

HemskyToHall*

Did he though? I though Hamilton had more chances and created more, but Ashton actually produced. But like I said, could be my bias.

Either way, tough to tell too much from one blowout anyways. I'm more interested in the Sweden game.

I'm excited to see Lander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad