Sportsnet: Pre Camp Player News....

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Still not worth that contract. Look what Kucherov did and what he received right after.

That contract means he needs to be defensively sound, crashing the net, a physical presence while also getting 110 pts. Otherwise it's a disappointment.

He's a great player, he just isn't living up to the contract.

You're describing a Hart/Art Ross winner in most years. McDavid makes more and is worse defensively, not a physical presence, and has broken 110 points once, he's a much bigger disappointment than Marner right?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Still not worth that contract. Look what Kucherov did and what he received right after.

That contract means he needs to be defensively sound, crashing the net, a physical presence while also getting 110 pts. Otherwise it's a disappointment.

Marner makes Superstar money and the expectations that go with that range from,no complaints to hate the deal. The expectations are warranted. I’m not so sure that myself personally am letting him off the hook maybe a little to much or that hating the contract in its early stages is being to harsh from others.Ha we never find middle ground in evaluating him on here it seems.
He needs high expectations. Hopefully he knows that enough now and just plays, has fun and accepts full responsibility.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
So Ford is on whining that 65,000 people are coming in to the country at Pearson airport every day without being tested and the Federal government won’t give them instant testing and Canadian Nhl teams Chartering from city to city with no contact with the public is a issue for their health department? Bunch of incomponents. International flights landing every day. So we need international flights do we ha. Jokes complete jokes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
So Ford is on whining that 65,000 people are coming in to the country at Pearson airport every day without being tested and the Federal government won’t give them instant testing and Canadian Nhl teams Chartering from city to city with no contact with the public is a issue for their health department? Bunch of incomponents. International flights landing every day. So we need international flights do we ha. Jokes complete jokes.

Well while there might be limited contact on the road, it won’t be no contact.
The issue will arise with the home teams, as they are only subject to local health restrictions, they can go out and do what they want, within local rules.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Well while there might be limited contact on the road, it won’t be no contact.
The issue will arise with the home teams, as they are only subject to local health restrictions, they can go out and do what they want, within local rules.
Which is a complete kind of lockdown from boxing day and a issue after 28 days. It’s messed up man.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I don't often agree with you, but do here.. just be careful of the no politics rule.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
We have a solid group of waiver exempt players for the taxi squad.
I am guessing thats the way taxi squadron will look. Dell stays on as third with Freddy/ Campbell. Boyd never gets included in anyones list. He’s on mine to be a Leaf. He’s a solid player. Very safe,trustworthy.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

there isn't a Leaf in recorded history who's ever "lived up to that contract":naughty:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I don't think that is going to matter a whole lot. It may give him a little bit more, but he is not big enough to really go in there with power so he is going to rely on his dekes, or maybe Tavares setting him up for more tips. It may make him a little bit less of a passenger, but if he really wants to be harder to defend, get a shot that can be respected. That would open up more passing options for him too, since teams won't always assume he is going to pass, or if he does decide to shoot, it may be much more difficult to save.

no one thought Nylander would ever get over his allergies to corners and creases, but with a little extra muscle, strength and confidence he did, and instead of being a decent scorer with some elite skill, he became an elite player..... full stop

It took Mitch awhile to become a top tier player in Jr. hockey, it was difficult task because he doesn't have an elite shot nor elite skating skill, he cannot overpower people but yet there was nobody better in the entire CHL in Mitch's last 80 league games(yeah I know McD and all but he had Strome Mitch had Dvorak huge diff) not to mention that Memorial cup run. Why would that growth cycle to achieve that kind of level take any less time amongst the worlds greatest players in the worlds greatest league.

everything is pointing to him becoming one of the leagues best players and maybe becoming the greatest Leaf of all time. I could never imagine the Leafs ever having two guys in their line-up that will both vie for that title and yet here we are, Marner is a goal driven individual don't bet against him

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think Barabanov is going to make the team out of camp on the taxi squad only because he is waiver exempt. The guy is all work ethic and net jam and great skater to boot.
I seen a article today proclaiming Simmonds over Perry was a mistake. I don’t agree, lets play and see.
Our depth will be young, fast and gritty enough and talented.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad