Sportsnet: Pre Camp Player News....

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Marner planning on going to the net and dirty areas more in this article. That was the fix to his game he needed besides the ankle giving him grief. Glad he is going to jam the crease. 30 goals coming if he does and he is a whole lot harder to defend if he does it and continues to do it. The fix he needed. It was obvious. https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-toronto-maple-leafs-mitch-marner-1.5844635

I don't think that is going to matter a whole lot. It may give him a little bit more, but he is not big enough to really go in there with power so he is going to rely on his dekes, or maybe Tavares setting him up for more tips. It may make him a little bit less of a passenger, but if he really wants to be harder to defend, get a shot that can be respected. That would open up more passing options for him too, since teams won't always assume he is going to pass, or if he does decide to shoot, it may be much more difficult to save.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm assuming we go with a 21 man roster. 12 forwards 7 defense. Might need to do 7-11 some nights to give Spezza or Thornton a night off in a compacted schedule.

The taxi squad rules, are really going to be a key here. Do players need to pass through waivers, cap rules around the taxi squad...etc... I can see a scenario, where we roll people in and out of the taxi squad/roster, to keep players fresh, especially in a compacted schedule and back to backs.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don't think that is going to matter a whole lot. It may give him a little bit more, but he is not big enough to really go in there with power so he is going to rely on his dekes, or maybe Tavares setting him up for more tips. It may make him a little bit less of a passenger, but if he really wants to be harder to defend, get a shot that can be respected. That would open up more passing options for him too, since teams won't always assume he is going to pass, or if he does decide to shoot, it may be much more difficult to save.
A passenger? Yeah ok ;)

Reactions: therealkoho

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
The ONLY thing I hate about this is that each year more of these guys look like they could be my kids, or truthfully, grandkids @growingoldersucksbigtime! ;)

When I was a kid I thought JS Giguere looked like an old, old man when he was accepting the Conn Smythe in that famous picture. Now at age 30 I just see a young man with dead eyes and a sweet beard.

Reactions: Duckrider

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Please no Marincin. I'd much rather have Liljegren up with the group.
Me too. It’s bad to watch him fumble pucks and panic with it when there is time and make the wrong play and cause havoc defensively. When he is on he’s really good in fairness to why they keep him around. If the guy finds a nice controlled mindset he will be able to play. Hit everything,box out everything,don’t panic and he’s a different player. He has split personality right now in his game. I don’t want to be to harsh because he would destroy me ha. He has to refine down his game.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Please no Marincin. I'd much rather have Liljegren up with the group.

Marincin as the 9th D is a good decision. Give Liljegren big minutes leading the Marlies, is better for his long-term development, than being the 9th D, playing on a taxi squad, with few games. Who cares about Marincin's development, or playing time... just a practise guy.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Marner planning on going to the net and dirty areas more in this article. That was the fix to his game he needed besides the ankle giving him grief. Glad he is going to jam the crease. 30 goals coming if he does and he is a whole lot harder to defend if he does it and continues to do it. The fix he needed. It was obvious. https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-toronto-maple-leafs-mitch-marner-1.5844635
I'll believe it when I see it. He's gonna have to do a lot more than go to the net once or twice per game to live up to that contract.

Reactions: supermann_98

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Is Matthews in Toronto yet? I would assume he came in this weekend given that he has to quarantine for two weeks.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

I don't need to see anymore fluttering wrist shots into the goalies crest.

I would rather he stayed away from the dirty areas and have him feed his linemates in the dirty areas to be honest. Let the plumbers plumb and Mitch isn't a plumber.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Yeah like put up 93 pace and 94 point seasons in a row or something like that.
Still not worth that contract. Look what Kucherov did and what he received right after.

That contract means he needs to be defensively sound, crashing the net, a physical presence while also getting 110 pts. Otherwise it's a disappointment.

He's a great player, he just isn't living up to the contract.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Still not worth that contract. Look what Kucherov did and what he received right after.

That contract means he needs to be defensively sound, crashing the net, a physical presence while also getting 110 pts. Otherwise it's a disappointment.

He's a great player, he just isn't living up to the contract.
I seen this conclusion before i tell ya :). I don’t agree with it. I think he can earn the contract and be a better 90+ point player moving forward. I definitely see improvement room . Thats all. He’s not perfect. I watched him last year play the pass a way to much. You watch and question his thinking on plays because he doesn’t jam the net. In junior he jammed the net/ went to the net much harder. He even done it with Jvr/Bozak. Then it just disappeared last year. I posted a article recently where he says he is going to the net more again( not sure if you seen that recently) Anyways, it was a big yes do that again minute hearing him realize that. It was terrible decision with the puck last year by him actually. He had a bad year other than the good production total. I didn’t like his play, it lost something here and there. Lets hope for the best this year that he puts together better play and scores significantly more goals pace in the shortened season. 20 goals plus in the 56 game season would be a start. He simply needs to score more and work on his shot.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad