GDT: Pre-8: FLYERS 4 at Bruins 1, Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018, 5:00 p.m. ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't see Hextall promoting Myers for a bottom spot, he's being groomed as a top four D-man who plays 20+ minutes a night (he has the stamina to carry a Provorov like role, 60+ minutes in that overtime game).

So it's top 4 or bust, and I don't think he's ready for that load, which is why I expect him to return to LHV for a couple months.

Hextall wants Myers to succeed (and Sanheim), they're his "picks," they're a key to this team's future.

Reactions: mdm815

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
Myers needs the experience HERE ….. he has the size, let him play. Will he excel right away?, no
He's gotta learn about the speed HERE.....just grimace once in a while thru the first couple of months, he'll be fine :cool:

Reactions: Rebels57

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I just hope we can get the game,

I have NHL Network, they will use the NESN feed. With philly not putting it on TV, that should lift the blackout. Usually they blackout us on NHL Network

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Myers needs the experience HERE ….. he has the size, let him play. Will he excel right away?, no
He's gotta learn about the speed HERE.....just grimace once in a while thru the first couple of months, he'll be fine :cool:

That's a judgment call, not a fact.
You don't know if that's true, Hextall doesn't know if that's true.
Player development is not exactly an exact science.

Sending Myers down for more seasoning is a "reasonable" decision, that is, it may help his development more than playing in the NHL right now.
If so, it would help this team more down the road when they are a legitimate SC contender (i.e., as soon as Hart is ready to start).

Reactions: caseoftastykakes

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
The NHL can be a development league if a player is skilled enough. Hextall is again being too cautious with players that look like they can develop in the NHL

At this point, the reigns should be taken off Sanheim and Myers.
They're not going to hurt the team because the other options are trash.
I can accept being cautious last season but its ridiculous at this point

The 6 starting dmen should be (not in pairing order)
provorov, ghost, sanheim, myers, mcdonald, hagg.
When Morin is healthy then Mcdonald goes to the bench.

Determine if you believe Haag has a future. If Hextall decides Hagg isn't a good option for the future then trade him by the time Morin is ready.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
I just hope we can get the game,

I have NHL Network, they will use the NESN feed. With philly not putting it on TV, that should lift the blackout. Usually they blackout us on NHL Network

I'm in the Philly area on Verizon and get NHLN Flyers games, as long as they're not on NBCSN or NBCSPA (whatever the hell that stands for)

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I don't see Hextall promoting Myers for a bottom spot, he's being groomed as a top four D-man who plays 20+ minutes a night (he has the stamina to carry a Provorov like role, 60+ minutes in that overtime game).

So it's top 4 or bust, and I don't think he's ready for that load, which is why I expect him to return to LHV for a couple months.

Hextall wants Myers to succeed (and Sanheim), they're his "picks," they're a key to this team's future.

Because every prospect that comes into the nhl is refined, and no learning can be accomplished in the NHL.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There's is no "right" answer to a judgment call, that is, whether Myers would develop faster in the NHL than going back to the AHL.
I don't know which is the right decision, nor does anyone else here, so I'm not going to second guess Hextall.
I understand why'd he make that decision, Myers' development is too important to risk on a marginal improvement, if any, the first half of this season.
Is it the right decision? Hindsight is 20/20, check back in April.

Just because as a fan you'd find it more entertaining to watch Myers v Hagg/AMac doesn't change the equation.

Reactions: tymed and VladDrag

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
we're making this more complex than it needs to be, it's effin ice hockey.....let 'em play and see how they do

I'd rather watch them over McD and Gudas, I think they've reached their "peaks"..... JMHO

Reactions: magnumpi

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
There's is no "right" answer to a judgment call, that is, whether Myers would develop faster in the NHL than going back to the AHL.
I don't know which is the right decision, nor does anyone else here, so I'm not going to second guess Hextall.
I understand why'd he make that decision, Myers' development is too important to risk on a marginal improvement, if any, the first half of this season.
Is it the right decision? Hindsight is 20/20, check back in April.

Just because as a fan you'd find it more entertaining to watch Myers v Hagg/AMac doesn't change the equation.

I don't disagree but your line of 'it's top 4 or bust' seemed to me to indicate your opinion on Myers, with which I disagree. However if you are saying that's Hexy's thought, then I misunderstood your comment.

I would like to see Myers in the NHL, but understand why he's not here. He has performed better all dman not named Ghost or Provy.

Benjo

Mar 25, 2009
Sorry if off topic, Canucks fan coming in peace just wondering how Carter Hart is looking so far in preseason? Saw a lot of him over the last couple of years playing my Victoria Royals and he was so good every game. Is he making the team this season? Is he playing a lot of games?

Daveyyaunce

Jun 23, 2017
Philadelphia
I don't see Myers starting in a 3rd pair role as a problem. The young forwards on the team had to scrap in the bottom 6 before moving up the lineup. I see no reason why Myers couldn't do the same outside of the coaching staff refusing to move vets out of the way.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sorry if off topic, Canucks fan coming in peace just wondering how Carter Hart is looking so far in preseason? Saw a lot of him over the last couple of years playing my Victoria Royals and he was so good every game. Is he making the team this season? Is he playing a lot of games?

He may make the team due to injuries, but will probably be sent to the AHL as soon as Lyon is healthy (end of October).
Hart has looked as advertised, great positioning, quick, struggled a bit with rebound control and handling the puck.

We're all looking forward to him winning the starting job, but he probably needs some time in the AHL to adjust to the pro game.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall has shown he's willing to waive a veteran and eat the contract, he did it with AMac two years ago, did it with Read last year.
So that's not a good explanation for his current strategy.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
3rd pairing and 50 -60 games would be fine for Myers. The issue is then you need Hextall to waive a veteran dman to make room.

But is that fundamentally different than say 40 games in the AHL then 40 NHL games in a bigger role?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I’d rather Myers played a full season, half in each league, then be scratched for fringe NHL players for 20-30 games, if healthy. That doesn’t sound appetizing. If he’s up, he plays. The odd scratch is different. Though Hagg never got one until the injury.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Since rumor is that Myers is in Boston with the team, and the Ghost-Provorov pairing may not even play (according to Meltzer), are we looking at a defense group like:

Sanheim-Folin/Gudas
MacDonald-Myers
Hagg-Friedman

or something along those lines? Giving Myers & Friedman their first test against a basically full lineup of NHL regulars to see how they stack up?

So, with the recent comments about nobody in the bottom four sticking out consistently, I’m guessing they’re just putting all six candidates out there and having a massive one game audition for the last four spots more or less? Not that I trust Hakstol to evaluate even one preseason game, but I like that idea.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
At this point, the reigns should be taken off Sanheim and Myers.
They're not going to hurt the team because the other options are trash.
I can accept being cautious last season but its ridiculous at this point

The 6 starting dmen should be (not in pairing order)
provorov, ghost, sanheim, myers, mcdonald, hagg.
When Morin is healthy then Mcdonald goes to the bench.

Determine if you believe Haag has a future. If Hextall decides Hagg isn't a good option for the future then trade him by the time Morin is ready.

I would still get keeping the leash on Myers in his rookie season, at least at the start until he earns more and acclimates. There’s no excuse for keeping reigns on Sanheim at this point. I agree it’s absurd that either of them are still being looked at cautiously. If they’re not ready for an NHL role of some kind at this point they’re not NHL players.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Giroux.......looking at the rafters........thinking........PLEASE pass it to me without turning it over....PRETTY PLEASE..... But inwardly smiling...."I am getting paid 8 million dollars to work with this.....ok.....whether I get the puck or not from these guys.....I am getting paid and at retirement at age 37 I will be living high off the hog" [ unless he is kosher...].......unlike most of us.....//////My cat looking at me thinking " hey buster, you better be working until you drop dead or I am going to eat you......." Hey I said "don't give me that Cheshire cat look"

cheshire cat.jpg

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad