GDT: PRE 3 | "Small Sample Size" | Oilers vs. Jets | 9.23.15 | 7:00 PM | Rexall | Streamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I will add, that I really dug the 3 on 3 OT.

Better than the shoot out, and was really exciting to see such open space...more and more games are getting boring 5 on 5 IMO, as the game has become so over coached.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
Caught the second period last night and watched Nurse specifically. The guy looks like he's playing his own game out there. Jumps in to the rush EVERY chance possible. High risk plays all over the ice. It worries me that he's dropped from the top group in camp, and plays the exact style of game that has gotten him dropped.

It seems pretty obvious that he needs to settle down and play a more responsible and calm variety of hockey. Is that message not being delivered? Is he not listening?

He has all the tools, but his decision making is what really worries me.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Caught the second period last night and watched Nurse specifically. The guy looks like he's playing his own game out there. Jumps in to the rush EVERY chance possible. High risk plays all over the ice. It worries me that he's dropped from the top group in camp, and plays the exact style of game that has gotten him dropped.

It seems pretty obvious that he needs to settle down and play a more responsible and calm variety of hockey. Is that message not being delivered? Is he not listening?

Nurse and Slepyshev have replaced Reinhart and Pitlick in Group A this morning.

Somewhat puzzling message to send to Reinhart, who had a very strong game last night.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Nurse logically needs more time in the AHL. He's played just 11 games down there in total including playoff games and it wouldn't hurt him to see further games down there.

He's only 20 and the Oilers have literally over a dozen older and more experienced options on D ahead of Nurse. He could use more time to solidify his game before he hits the NHL level.

I think many are wanting to see him in the Oilers lineup because he's exactly the type of dman they need long term... but in the short term I think they are handling him wisely by going slow and letting him see big minutes at the AHL level will help him transition to the NHL better... as early as later this season.

Before the Nurse backers jump on me... I like Nurse and his toughness and all around skill will be a great addition to the Oilers... but I'd rather have him more seasoned in the AHL than thrown into the group on the Oilers which already is full of issues and question marks as it is.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Very good post. Kid has all the tunes but his brain is racing and telling himself that he needs to be doing everything to try to get a spot. Its like he's uber motivated and punching every cow, racing up on every shift, trying to ring every bell.

I asked the same question about whether Mclellan has spoken to him to cool his jets out there. I suspect this has occurred but that Nurse had himself so hyped up coming into camp that he wanted to be everything and force the teams hand.

Instead the trajectory has been out of orbit.

Still, being too hyped is a good problem to have, Nurse just needs to learn to pick his spots more. I just think he has been over ambitious.

My one worry is its so clear how much Nurse wants to be in the show this season is how he will feel about not making it. Clearly it meant a lot to him to land in the NHL this year. I bet he was primed for this most of the summer.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Somewhat puzzling message to send to Reinhart, who had a very strong game last night.

That's a whole lot of Random. Reinhart had a good game, Nurse had a bad game, and a counter intuitive grouping occurs.

I thought Slep had an interesting game. He's shown he's dangerous around the net.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
That's a whole lot of Random. Reinhart had a good game, Nurse had a bad game, and a counter intuitive grouping occurs.

I thought Slep had an interesting game. He's shown he's dangerous around the net.

It's almost like the coaching staff didn't read too much into a single preseason game and is giving all of the fringe players their opportunity.

:D

Sticking Nurse with Nikitin is a cheapshot though.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan

I don't know but to me he is just trying to do too much. There's a contrast there between him and Reinhart. GR is playing a safe, solid, smart game and standing out that way. Nurse is an animal and is trying to do everything he can to make the team, he's trying to stand out in a different way it seems and he might just be over thinking it a bit.

I think he will settle down and improve once the season starts. He'll improve his decision making as the year goes on and he gets some looks at the professional speed/style of play. Just needs some time, no doubt he'll be an impact player.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It's got to be disappointing to be sent down if you are someone like Nurse who is an elite level talent.. and who has the drive and motivation to succeed which he obviously has.

Then again look at how many dmen spend time in the AHL... who are older than Nurse. 20 years old is very young for a dman and if he looks around at all the other older D prospects in the org who all are in the same boat I'm sure he'll get some perspective that it isn't all about "right now".

Obviously it's a game of numbers as well with waivers, contracts etc coming into play and even if a younger prospect plays exceedingly well... they often still get sent down because the roster can only hold so many.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005

Why does it have to be a message? Reinhart and Nurse are both rookies with a chance to make the team, clearly this is just giving each an opportunity with the "big" group. Same I'd think with Slepyshev and Pitlick. Those are guys who could conceivably make the roster in a press box or bottom line type role or be first call ups, give them each a chance with the big group.

Not everything has some hidden message, sometimes it's just giving each person a chance.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Why does it have to be a message? Reinhart and Nurse are both rookies with a chance to make the team, clearly this is just giving each an opportunity with the "big" group. Same I'd think with Slepyshev and Pitlick. Those are guys who could conceivably make the roster in a press box or bottom line type role or be first call ups, give them each a chance with the big group.

Not everything has some hidden message, sometimes it's just giving each person a chance.

But, but, but, we have to analyze every tidbit of minutiae. Don't we. ;)

haha

jk aside I think some of the problem with this stuff is that for the actual very young turks involved such things do send messages and create confusion. Theres so much competition in a camp or in preseason nearly every little bit of anything is analyzed in this.

Nowhere is this more evident than in Pro football in which several former players have written books indicating in detail every little bit of hints about whether they are making the club or not. So much so that every down in scrimmage is something the player thinks about. I dropped that ball, I'm done, I missed that tackle, kill me now, I blew coverage, I'm doomed.

Almost every player biography detailing the players first days in the bigs has comments like this that indicate clearly that many things like this do rattle the players who are constantly assessing where they fit.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008

Exactly. I'm sure the coaching staff has also explained this to them. Mclellan doesn't appear to be a guy who will keep you guessing. He'll tell the players straight out what's going on.

Timo

May 23, 2007
Edmonton
The decision to switch players from Group A and Group B came before the game last night, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Each player deserves a chance on A and B.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Exactly. I'm sure the coaching staff has also explained this to them. Mclellan doesn't appear to be a guy who will keep you guessing. He'll tell the players straight out what's going on.
Makes sense to me. Let's see how Nurse plays with an NHL partner l. If he still looks the same then he goes back.

It's a battle between the two and they both know that. Give them equal opportunity and see who excels with it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The decision to switch players from Group A and Group B came before the game last night, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Each player deserves a chance on A and B.

I think one of the difficulties in this is the several print articles stating clearly that A team meant NHL team and B team meant being sent down. This has been stated countless times and with Mclellan being quoted in this way.

just saying

Had that not been stated there would probably be less confusion. If I'm a player I'm thinking team B isn't at all where I want to be.

One other thing. 3 headed goalie monster looming.

It takes much longer to assess goalie performance. We're rotating 3 goalies giving them all different starts. 2 of them being brand new here. To me this kind of runs counter to Mclellan wanting to make quick decisions on what his NHL lineup is going to be and paring down to that. My take is its not going to much more clear in a week or two who our guy is. Talbot isn't exactly staking claim so far.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
My one worry is its so clear how much Nurse wants to be in the show this season is how he will feel about not making it. Clearly it meant a lot to him to land in the NHL this year. I bet he was primed for this most of the summer.

This is professional hockey. The last thing anyone should be worried about is hurt feelings. Boo hoo, man the **** up.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Nurse logically needs more time in the AHL. He's played just 11 games down there in total including playoff games and it wouldn't hurt him to see further games down there.

He's only 20 and the Oilers have literally over a dozen older and more experienced options on D ahead of Nurse. He could use more time to solidify his game before he hits the NHL level.

I think many are wanting to see him in the Oilers lineup because he's exactly the type of dman they need long term... but in the short term I think they are handling him wisely by going slow and letting him see big minutes at the AHL level will help him transition to the NHL better... as early as later this season.

Before the Nurse backers jump on me... I like Nurse and his toughness and all around skill will be a great addition to the Oilers... but I'd rather have him more seasoned in the AHL than thrown into the group on the Oilers which already is full of issues and question marks as it is.
I agree. Plus, a dman will get hurt at somepoint, so even if he gets sent down, he will likely get a call up at some point. Send him down and play him 20-25 mins a game in the A.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Seeing Nurse and Reinhart swap groups after last night gives the two groups a bit of a 'Who's Line Is It Anyway?' feel. The points don't matter!

It's not a big deal, but it sort of undermines the idea that the groups are selected only on merit/play.

Ladra

Jan 29, 2011
Seeing Nurse and Reinhart swap groups after last night gives the two groups a bit of a 'Who's Line Is It Anyway?' feel. The points don't matter!

It's not a big deal, but it sort of undermines the idea that the groups are selected only on merit/play.

But if the switch was decided before the game last night?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

They didnt swap though, Reinhart got a little injury and didnt skate today.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You said you worried about how not making it would effect Nurse...

Would? No, not what I said. I wondered how he would take it. Read it over.

Did you read any negative inference in that? Is it necessary to disparage Nurse for that as the other poster did?

I simply feel that this means so Much to Nurse that he's approached the camp and preseason trying to do too much. I've stated this as overall a positive and that the kid is very motivated.

So is it necessary for someone to post up the "poor baby, man the **** up" response in reply?

Why not challenge that post?

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Which has what to do with what I stated in my post or about Nurse?!

I didn't mean "man the **** up" directly to you, more so to anyone whose feelings need to be worried about in professional hockey.

We don't need to worry, at all, about how Nurse will feel about being sent down. Him really wanting to make the team has no bearing on demoting him.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Reinhart has a minor injury. So said Mclellan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad