GDT: PRE 3 | "Small Sample Size" | Oilers vs. Jets | 9.23.15 | 7:00 PM | Rexall | Streamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
schultz was amazing in preseason last year, this means nothing to me....i need to see it in the regular season.

Replacement isn't wrong, ease in my foot, these guys have been the laughing stock for the last 7 years, they better start showing some hustle out there as the games get more important

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Christoffer is a decent player and has done well in camp overall, but as a rookie you can't take three dumb minor penalties in a game.

Oesterle looked weak and I'd expect him to be among the next cuts.

Talbot's puckhandling looks suspect. Not Scrivens bad, but still a worry.

Reinhart is going to become a very good defenceman. Size, smarts and an effective puck mover. Just what the team needs.

Schultz with a second good game this preseason. I'm hesitant to make too much of it, but at least it's encouraging.

I like the look of Slepyshev. He will need some seasoning, but we might have a future NHL-player in him.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
schultz was amazing in preseason last year, this means nothing to me....i need to see it in the regular season.

Replacement isn't wrong, ease in my foot, these guys have been the laughing stock for the last 7 years, they better start showing some hustle out there as the games get more important

Realistically what exactly are you expecting? That they're going to go from where they were last year to the one of the hardest working teams in the league?

I don't think so. They're not a lunch pail/blue collar group, they're just not built that way right now.

They'll be better than last year. By a good 20 points even. But there will certainly be many games where they will make you want to throw your TV remote out the window.

I'm fully expecting a slow start for example as I said before. This is still going to be a process.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
i didnt get to watch the game really... but this 3-on-3 experiment / practice video on the oilers site is horrid.

it's like watching rec league inline hockey. it's feels super casual because of too much space.

disappointing this is actually in the game.

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
Very well done post. Thank you.

Ps: I am one of those "Yak haters" I was just more disappointed because I thought he was really good last game and this one...seemed like the opposite.
Yes, he didn't do much offensively, but reading all the media reports and grades, they all liked his overall game. They especially pointed out the forechecking and keeping the puck in the other teams zone, even Staples liked his play, which is saying something. That line performed very well at that, and yak did not look out of place either. If this line stays together, and plays like that, I could certainly live with that, the goals will come.

I felt the entire team was off offensively, not just Yak, so it would be unfair to single him out when others (including Drai, who just didn't have it today) were doing the same. He didn't hit as much, but then Ebs, Klefblom and Hendricks (!!!!!) didn't even record a hit at all.
I think people here have to be a bit more fair, it's hard to be critical of one player when others were doing worse at certain things.

I find Yak to be chaos squared sometimes (okay, all the time) but there is one thing about him, in that he is very teachable, more so than the other super-kids (Hall and Ebs, not RNH) He is I suspect playing far closer to the coaches system and the way the coach wants the team to play overall than those two. And considering the previous decade of team failure it's nice to see that a player that a lot of posters here were trying to throw under the bus has turned it around, showing promise and very good improvement in some pretty major deficiencies.

It wasn't just about scoring with him, it was his play in his own zone, and play without the puck. He has greatly improved so far (I no longer hold my hands in front of my eyes when ever the puck is in the Oiler zone and he is on the ice, but I still do hold my breath every once in a while) and I for one hope he continues to improve.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I actually really liked JC Lipon for the Jets. Such a **** disturber. Hitting everything he sees and just being a nuisance all around. He's what I hoped Chase would be.

For the Oilers I become more and more convinced Nurse needs to start the season in the AHL. Christoffer has had a good camp but he got eaten alive this game and should be sent down. Oesterle had some good moments and some bad moments, not sure what to make of him really.

Draisaitl was OK in the 1st period but didn't get much done. Same went for Yak and Lander. Not a big fan of Gryba so far. Doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade on Aulie. He'll probably rotate with Nikitin and Ference for that #6D spot.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
i didnt get to watch the game really... but this 3-on-3 experiment / practice video on the oilers site is horrid.

it's like watching rec league inline hockey. it's feels super casual because of too much space.

I totally disagree, I thought it was entertaining. Better than a shoot out and fun for the fans. What more could you want?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I totally disagree, I thought it was entertaining. Better than a shoot out and fun for the fans. What more could you want?

Agreed. It feels like the perfect mixture of actual hockey, fun, and entertainment. Maybe that feeling will go away down the road, but I love it right now. It will be interesting to see what it looks like when real games are on the line.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Agreed. It feels like the perfect mixture of actual hockey, fun, and entertainment. Maybe that feeling will go away down the road, but I love it right now. It will be interesting to see what it looks like when real games are on the line.
And now more games will end with hockey plays rather then constant penalty shots.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Ever since April 18th.. everything has gone so good for the Oilers. I'm not used to all this positivity.

Feels good man

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Ever since April 18th.. everything has gone so good for the Oilers. I'm not used to all this positivity.

Search for all recent posts by Replacement. You'll be back in the Oilers fan comfort zone in no time.

This is all we've ever had, this preseason hope. Ever since the patron saint of appeasing your wife left us. Let's be happy for the next two weeks.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Oilers play the Flames, Hawks, Kings and Blues 2x each in the first 20 games, as well as the Pens, Ducks, etc.

I think that is a fair point to look at how far the team has come.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Oilers play the Flames, Hawks, Kings and Blues 2x each in the first 20 games, as well as the Pens, Ducks, etc.

I think that is a fair point to look at how far the team has come.
I feel like we oddly play good against the Hawks for whatever reason. And the Pens will be a fun game as we have very similar teams make up wise.

LA, Anaheim I think will beat us both times and I think we will split with the Flames and the Blues.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The way I look at 3 on 3 is that it's not a perfect solution, but it is the best solution among a group of unsavory alternatives.

It may be pond or shinny hockey, but it's closer to hockey than a glut of non-stop breakaways that would sometimes degenerate into a contest over who could think up the goofiest trick shot. THAT is not hockey, it's skills competition. The other thing 3 on 3 does is that it gives a better chance at a definitive resolution than 4 on 4, which too often didn't give a winning result as teams would play it safe and not go for a win. IMO all things being equal, the NHL would prefer to have kept 4 on 4 if it had actually done what it intended, but unfortunately it did not...or at least not often enough to warrant keeping the status quo.

Hockey's also a bit of an odd bird compared to the other major North American sports leagues in that the odds of a tie game at the end of regulation are much more likely to occur than in other games, and by and large the US sports fan (which the NHL has forever tried to cater to) abhors tie games. Sports viewers want to see a winner and a loser more often than not.

Given that, the other complication the NHL had is that with the hectic travel schedules that many NHL teams have, they can't afford to just play overtime like they do in the playoffs until a goal is scored. With the amount of teams and the relatively high likelihood of games going into OT, it would cause havoc with travel schedules and make a tough enough travel life for NHL players even worse.

Ultimately, there's no perfect solution, every idea has its own set of warts...but I'll take 3 on 3 play over what was happening before, which was functionally no different than deciding a basketball game with a 3 point shooting competition, a football game with a quarterback passing drill, or a baseball game with a home run contest.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

And yet it's infinitely more entertaining and legit than the shootout. So glad we're going to see a lot fewer of those.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Meh, I had fun. Low intensity fare for pre-season. First game I have watched the Oilers live since Ryan Smyth's rookie season.

Yeah, this was the first preseason game I had been to in many years and I had forgotten how low-key they are.

Try and make it out to something like the home opener. Very very fun time.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010

Feels good man

The offseason always goes good for the Oil. Hopefully this is the year things actually go good while they play hockey. :laugh:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Love the fact that Schultz is finally showing that he gives a ****. Hate the fact that it has taken him this long. But better late than never.

Early signs are good and he looks like an improved player, but Schultz always was always able to dominate 2nd tier players and AHL scrubs, it's when he has to play at an NHL pace and he has his extra time and space taken away from him that the real test will begin for him.

I was very impressed with Reinhart last night and it seems like McLellan shared my sentiments he made a baseball analogy in the post game interview, basically saying Reinhart wasn't trying to hit any homeruns just hit singles consistently and that's how you win games. Despite this group A/ group B stuff I'm guessing Reinhart now has the inside track on getting an NHL job likely at the expense of Nurse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad