Confirmed with Link: Pratt hired as an Assistant Coach

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
ois0bqfdpeyfhozp3s1u.jpg

Not excited. Never was a fan of his as a player, but oh well.

Considering the speed and quality of our D-men development, this means they should only have to hire about 16 more defensive coaches.

Most of the best coaches are borderline players. I think it grounds them and gives them the ability to teach players to compensate for flaws, rather than expecting them to simply be able/know how to do things.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
ois0bqfdpeyfhozp3s1u.jpg

Not excited. Never was a fan of his as a player, but oh well.

Considering the speed and quality of our D-men development, this means they should only have to hire about 16 more defensive coaches.

Wayne Gretzky was a rotten coach. Glen Sather was called "Slats" because he on the bench so much when he played. Bob Hartley never even made it to the NHL. Are you seriously equating a player's ability to his ability to coach?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
So long as he can maybe get through to Roy and let him know that the system needs an entire overhaul, I'll be happy. Until then, I'll reserve judgement. Didn't like what Roy/Tourigny did the first two years, absolutely hated what Farrish brought to the table last season so maybe this is a sign that they recognize there's a huge problem. Farrish and his shot-blocking system stinks.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Hopefully Farrish gets the Soviet puppet treatment/ski trip disappearance.

Disappearance from the website staff list that is. He'll even discover it from there.

"Hey uhh... Patty, you know why my name's missing from the website?"
"Oh is it? Well I guess you just aren't a coach here anymore, Dave."

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
"You know Dave, since Greg left to pursue other opportunities, we've had a vacancy in our Director of Staff Room Treats and Hockey Ops. We've decided to promote you."

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Thanks for the info. Do you think he was tagged more for the AHL job and they didn't want to lose him or is the NHL assistant job a better place for him with the young D?

I think he was ready for a head job in the AHL, but I don't know what the Avs had him tagged for. I do know he at least interviewed for the AHL job. Maybe this is the consolation, maybe this just a better fit. Regardless I am very happy he is in the organization.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
It goes both ways - very few people seem to know his coaching ability or can speak to how he's going to somehow revolutionize the d-men development. I'm encouraged by henchman's comments and I'm not ready to fire the guy the day after he's hired, but I'm entitled to say what I think of him - he was a lousy player. We'll see. I'm extremely skeptical based on the last 15 years of how this organization has handled young talent. I think there's an overriding element somewhere, because they've shuffled guys in and out with little results to show for it. The guy I am really starting to think is stalling things is Craig Billington. Tough pill to swallow because I liked him as a player, but I think he may be the overriding problem after so many years with the org - most of the time tied to development in some capacity or another.

He was, no argument can be made about that and I remember him well.

However, the guy still managed to play 592 NHL games with 4 different organizations and has won the Stanley Cup.

Dan Bylsma wasn't a particularly good NHL player either by the way, (Pratt actually outscored Bylsma over their NHL careers :laugh:) doesn't mean guys like this can't teach, motivate and/or lead.

Pual Statsny

Overpaid, overrated
Jul 22, 2010
Awesometown
It seems to me that non-superstar players tend to be better coaches because they had to make more out of their talent than other guys. They also had to control their own coaching since offenses weren't designed around them and, as they got into higher leagues, coaches were less interested in developing them than more important players. So they've been ostensibly coaching themselves for a longer time.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I don't think anyone is saying they should bring a superstar player to the coaching staff. I for one maybe jumping to conclusions too soon about Pratt, maybe he'll be a good assistant. I think before Roy was hired i was willing to give him a try, but right now i wish this team would hire NHL experienced good coaches. Pratt just seems like another experimental hire.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I don't think anyone is saying they should bring a superstar player to the coaching staff. I for one maybe jumping to conclusions too soon about Pratt, maybe he'll be a good assistant. I think before Roy was hired i was willing to give him a try, but right now i wish this team would hire NHL experienced good coaches. Pratt just seems like another experimental hire.

thanks - this sums up my feelings about him.

And as I mentioned in my last post, I really am starting to think Billington is the problem, no matter who they bring in.

Sorry for my hate on Pratt - I just really really despised him as a player. Like despised him as much as Brisebois and Skoula. I literally remember sighing every single time he came on to the ice.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
thanks - this sums up my feelings about him.

And as I mentioned in my last post, I really am starting to think Billington is the problem, no matter who they bring in.

Sorry for my hate on Pratt - I just really really despised him as a player. Like despised him as much as Brisebois and Skoula. I literally remember sighing every single time he came on to the ice.

Good thing someone who's extremely knowledgeable on Pratt as a coach already gave a glowing review of his qualifications, so however he performed as a player really doesn't matter...

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Geez, I certainly don't remember him being all that much of a standout either way. :laugh: I don't recall him being with the Avs for that long a time.

Bates Battaglia is the one former Avs player who makes me want to break the knives out at the mere mention of his name. I was furious when he and his brother won The Amazing Race, especially since I was rooting for the team who ended up third place to them.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Good thing someone who's extremely knowledgeable on Pratt as a coach already gave a glowing review of his qualifications, so however he performed as a player really doesn't matter...

Yeah can't wait until he develops one of our dmen into an All-Star in the next 2-3 years. Will be uber awesome.

Owen

Roster Guru
Sep 13, 2003
Does any NHL team have 3 assistant coaches? Or is this going to be a somebody is going to vanish from the website soon kind of thing? I think that will happen one way or another but the question is if this is going to be sooner than later.

Last season: Arizona, Boston, Buffalo, Minnesota, Montreal, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Vancouver, Washington.

Most often, the third assistant coach is the one sitting at the top of the arena as the "eye in the sky." Personally I think it should just be a different title because most of these guys are never behind the bench.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I love guys that bleed Colorado investing their lives and careers in the club, Can only be a good thing.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
I don't know if this has been brought up, but could this mean Farrish is on his way out? I thought he had like 2 years left on his contact. It just seems weird to have 2 D coaches.

Speaking of, anyone see how long Pratts contact is?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad