Confirmed with Link: Pratt hired as an Assistant Coach

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm optimistic until proven otherwise. ANY acknowledgement that the coaching needs fresh blood (even though I'd rather he just replaced somebody else) is a welcome sign to me.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Don't know much about the guy, but I'm just glad that some coaching changes were made. I was really disappointed with the coaching staff last year personally.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
To be fair to any defensive coach in Colorado, you can't get Ferrari performance out of a beat up Volkswagon. Too be fair, given the cattle, we have probably achieved defensively what we should have.

The problem is they are getting a Ford Pinto performance out of a beat up Volkswagen

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I know next to nothing about this guy, but glad someone new was brought in. Hopefully Farrish disappears.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I don't know much about Pratt either but having just coached a championship team is a good place to start, no?

Does any NHL team have 3 assistant coaches? Or is this going to be a somebody is going to vanish from the website soon kind of thing? I think that will happen one way or another but the question is if this is going to be sooner than later.

I'm not aware of any team with 3 assistants, wouldn't be to surprised to see Army get the boot or a "diminished roll". I highly doubt we go into games with 3 assistants and Roy behind the bench.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What are his strengths?

Development. He was one of the best in the AHL at getting defensemen ready for the NHL. He can take low end talents and make them NHL players and can refine good talent to be ready. Just amazing at the details he teaches (players under him always have great defensive stick work).What he does in the NHL with established players will be interesting, but this is great for the kids and reclamation projects.

Scheme wise will be hard to see as he has always been an assistant, but he was groomed under Larsen who played a style much more like Tampa/Philly (last year) than Colorado.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Development. He was one of the best in the AHL at getting defensemen ready for the NHL. He can take low end talents and make them NHL players and can refine good talent to be ready. Just amazing at the details he teaches (players under him always have great defensive stick work).What he does in the NHL with established players will be interesting, but this is great for the kids and reclamation projects.

Scheme wise will be hard to see as he has always been an assistant, but he was groomed under Larsen who played a style much more like Tampa/Philly (last year) than Colorado.

Well, I'll take your word on it, but that sounds like fantastic news for Zadorov and Bigras. I think Zadorov in particular would benefit greatly.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

I like the sound of that. Thanks.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Thanks for the info. Do you think he was tagged more for the AHL job and they didn't want to lose him or is the NHL assistant job a better place for him with the young D?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Maybe Farrish is the one who goes in the not too distant future if Pratt is a defensive guy?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Looks like Columbus passed him up to hire someone else for their NHL staff. I wonder if MacFarland helped make this happen. Kind of weird how often we take BJ castaways, but not complaining if he can help our young defenders as much as it seems.

I really wanted a systems coach though to join Roy's team. But beggars can't be choosers.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't know much about Pratt either but having just coached a championship team is a good place to start, no?

Does any NHL team have 3 assistant coaches? Or is this going to be a somebody is going to vanish from the website soon kind of thing? I think that will happen one way or another but the question is if this is going to be sooner than later.

Canadian teams have a lot. Toronto has three assistants, plus Lemaire, and a video coach. Montreal has four plus a video coach.

They sure are shelling out the dough this summer on things they didn't necessarily need to do. Guaranteeing all that money on AHL deals to bring in character guys to help develop their prospects. Bringing in Velieux which wasn't cheap. I think while Chynoweth was still under contract too, so they're paying two coaches.

Now they're adding another sought after assistant.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Looks like Columbus passed him up to hire someone else for their NHL staff. I wonder if MacFarland helped make this happen. Kind of weird how often we take BJ castaways, but not complaining if he can help our young defenders as much as it seems.

I really wanted a systems coach though to join Roy's team. But beggars can't be choosers.

MacFarland is definitely a big influence.

I agree Foppa, they are spending the coin at least. Which why the whole cheap franchise narrative drives me crazy. It's like the only way to not be cheap is to sign some 6.5x7 UFA contract or something.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
We have all kinds of development consultants, for whatever that's worth. They're all former players. I'm not sure if those are actual coaches, celebrity appearances during training camp, or just a way to honor guys by keeping them on Stan the Mans payroll. Probably a combination of all 3.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
We have all kinds of development consultants, for whatever that's worth. They're all former players. I'm not sure if those are actual coaches, celebrity appearances during training camp, or just a way to honor guys by keeping them on Stan the Mans payroll. Probably a combination of all 3.

I know for a fact they travel around to visit the players. Foote has been in SA and even up to visit Boikov. The whole team was out to visit Wood. They were even in Ft Wayne at some point. Those are just the ones I know about, I'm sure they have visited everyone.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Honestly it's just a good sign they are spending money on developing our young D at the NHL level.

That is exactly what this team needs, so I wouldn't say they are spending a lot of money in places they really don't need to.

They however are spending money in places that have been a painful deficiency in the organization though.

We'll see if they are the right hires, but you have to acknowledge that Sakic's eyes are open, and hes seeing the needs and weaknesses in the organization.

Now just fire Army's ass, move Ferrish to video or something, and hire Guy Boucher to coach the power play/help Roy with systems and I'll be dancing in the street.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Really like this hire if him being a good developer of dmen is true. Could be a huge boon if we manage to turn our investments in Wiercioch and Gelinas to be worth something, and even more so if we can get Zads and Bigs to take that next step.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Lol the guy was an assistant that helped win the Calder Cup. His strengths are development yet some of ya'll hate this hire because once upon a time nearly 20 yrs ago he played over half a season with the Avs. Really? Only superstars are allowed to coach and have success. The list of non star players that became successful even HOF coaches is far longer than the list of star players that became very successful coaches. Not saying Pratt is the next Scotty Bowman but why is he being pegged as the next Joe Sacco?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Really like this hire if him being a good developer of dmen is true. Could be a huge boon if we manage to turn our investments in Wiercioch and Gelinas to be worth something, and even more so if we can get Zads and Bigs to take that next step.

Yeah especially because we would have 5 top four quality defenders on the roster. I'll be looking forward to days when I am not *****ing out the defense being morons, and losing us game due to the sheeer stupidity of their decision making.

It was already very refreshing when EJ was injured and we had both in the lineup. That stretch of 5 games was some of the best Avs hockey we've seen in a long time.

Out shot, and out chanced some good teams, and some bad teams. It was just enjoyable hockey.

Lol the guy was an assistant that helped win the Calder Cup. His strengths are development yet some of ya'll hate this hire because once upon a time nearly 20 yrs ago he played over half a season with the Avs. Really? Only superstars are allowed to coach and have success. The list of non star players that became successful even HOF coaches is far longer than the list of star players that became very successful coaches. Not saying Pratt is the next Scotty Bowman but why is he being pegged as the next Joe Sacco?

You should know by now who the special kids around here are. lol

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Honestly it's just a good sign they are spending money on developing our young D at the NHL level.

That is exactly what this team needs, so I wouldn't say they are spending a lot of money in places they really don't need to.

They however are spending money in places that have been a painful deficiency in the organization though.

We'll see if they are the right hires, but you have to acknowledge that Sakic's eyes are open, and hes seeing the needs and weaknesses in the organization.

Now just fire Army's ass, move Ferrish to video or something, and hire Guy Boucher to coach the power play/help Roy with systems and I'll be dancing in the street.

Didnt Guy find a gig somewhere?I could have swron he did. The one guy I wouldnt mind hiring to run our PP is that Todd Nelson. The Oilers PP when he got hired was pretty awesome.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Didnt Guy find a gig somewhere?I could have swron he did. The one guy I wouldnt mind hiring to run our PP is that Todd Nelson. The Oilers PP when he got hired was pretty awesome.

Maybe, that was just my little dream. I'm not that familiar with coaches that are not widely known. I'd be happy with a Pratt type hire on the offensive side now as well.

I just always liked how technical Guy was, and he ran a hell of a power play. He even said hes had some teams offer him jobs as AC running the power play, but I was hoping the fact that he has not landed a head coach job this year might make him more open to being an assistant.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO

It goes both ways - very few people seem to know his coaching ability or can speak to how he's going to somehow revolutionize the d-men development. I'm encouraged by henchman's comments and I'm not ready to fire the guy the day after he's hired, but I'm entitled to say what I think of him - he was a lousy player. We'll see. I'm extremely skeptical based on the last 15 years of how this organization has handled young talent. I think there's an overriding element somewhere, because they've shuffled guys in and out with little results to show for it. The guy I am really starting to think is stalling things is Craig Billington. Tough pill to swallow because I liked him as a player, but I think he may be the overriding problem after so many years with the org - most of the time tied to development in some capacity or another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad