Post-Game Talk: PP not working? MOAR DAVEY!! Habs lose 3-2

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
I watched the game.

There are 10 reasons before Subban's accuracy that explains this loss.

Namely:

-PP zone entry and puck distribution
-DD+PAP on a same line does NOT work
-The refusal from the players (induced by the coach?) to sustain any kind of puck pressure to retrieve previously lost pucks in the O-zone
-Lars Eller being given 4th line duties because he does well
-The absence of the General
-The absence of the Chosen One
-The absence of a brain in the coache's skull (sorry, too good to pass up, I put myself on a Tee here :P )
-Pacioretty's average game
-Tokarski

I gave you 9, but you get the picture.

Oh I just remembered this is our 2nd game in 24 hours. This is the tenth reason. Heavy legs in hockey is always a factor, even against lottery teams.

I wish you good night.

This this this. How come MT didn't notice that these two don't match at all. If PAP was faster, like way faster, it would be perfect. And PAP should react faster too when he has the puck.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Just for a little outside perspective. What did you guys think of the Devils young guys last night?

It was probably their best game collectively from the goaltending to the defense to the forwards. Sometimes, on the Devils board they get a little to irrational, for a lack of a better word, when watching the younger guys.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
A good example of the ineptitude of the coaching staff. Just last night they were shown how a power play works. Ovechkin playing along the mid wall and things running through him..a player with a cannon who gets the respect for his shot and goal scoring threat. But yet again tonight..Therrien kept throwing out Desharnais to be the club's Ovechkin along the wall.

A player with ZERO PPG in his last 46 games is supposed to be this club's Ovechkin...and back defenders off. Before that he was the Habs' Corey Perry..."screening" the goalie on the first PP wave...Clem and Mike's power play adjusting consists of alternating Desharnais from the half wall to the front of the net...he is considered to be the quarterback on this club's power play....and that for me is a scary thought. He is 200th overall in PPG....but who is out there with Patch on the OT PP? Almost six minutes of PP time tonight..while Eller gets 20 secs at the end of the 5-minute major despite outplaying DD in all three zones for more than a month now.

Mind boggling.

Grant, you talk with scouts and hockey cronies, and with some Habs personnel, how do they not see this?

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
Gallagher is the best player to play in front of the net despite his size. Just look at the screen he put up in front of Kinkaid for Plekanec's PP goal. Lars Eller doesn't battle the guy just skates around and does nothing he plays when he wants. Desharnais is like Scott Gomez, remember when Gomez would fly around look all good and then before he hits the opponents blueline he just loses the puck, ya that's pretty much DD.

I would try this on the PP,

67 - 27 - 21
76 - 79

22/81/25 - 14 - 11
26 - 28

I don't know why Beaulieu doesn't get PP time??? MT puts Gilbert! Gilbert will never see time on my PP he is just brutal on the PP.
Weise, Eller and De La Rose would rotate to see who fits best.

Please don't make me remember Scott Gomez... He was just the worst.

I think it's up to the the coaching staff to give Eller a role. If they tell him to be a net presence on the PP if he wants O time, then he will do it. If he doesn't, then adios. He has all the tools to be effective there.

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
Habs rank 23rd in the league in ppgs ,total goals scored and in team hits.
Total team effort in bottom 1/3 of the league buoyed by an unbelievable goalie.
Need 2 more 30 goal scorers and a remarkable improvement in hitting capability.

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
I'd usually agree but not tonight

100% offensive starts, 5:21 min of PP time, 0 shot ATTEMPTS and 44% Corsi

I get that DD is a pass first type of player but you got to attempt a shot every once in a while

DD as well as MT were the problems tonight

NO! Same old problem bottom third of the league in total goals scored and total team hits.
NEED 2 more 30+ goal scorers and a ton more hitting.

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada
NO! Same old problem bottom third of the league in total goals scored and total team hits.
NEED 2 more 30+ goal scorers and a ton more hitting.

Getting a single 30 goal scorer from the draft or through trades is hard enough, getting 2 is a pipe dream. The Habs have to fix what they can however, that is changing up the powerplay strategy and to make adjustments to the way they play as it stifles offensive production.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Yes GM Whitesnake. Please judge the trade of two 22-year-olds THIS season.

You'd swear Bergevin sold the farm in obtaining depth in Mitchell and Flynn. they were depth additions..and Bergevin paid depth addition priced. It gave Malhotra an opportunity to get some rest leading up to the playoffs....both Flynn and Mitchell got an audition..they were by no means complete liabilities when they played..they will be available to plug into a role if someone underperforms or is injured in the playoffs.

How do you know Mitchell and Flynn were supposed to take 4th line spots...you really think Bergevin expects Weise or Prust to sit over those guys?
Teams weren't giving away top six forwards at the trade deadline..none were dealt on Deadline Day. A helluva lot easier to say "We shukd have done this" than it is to do it.

Bergevin picks up arguably the best player on trade deadline day for a second and a couple of depth additions for late picks and swaps underachieving 22-year-ods..and you'd think he just dealt the rights to Guy Lafleur for Ernie Hicke.

Yes GM Grant. No idea where you're going with your rant once again. Where, IN THAT POST, am I talking about the value of deals, the returns based on what we have given up etc. Where? A guy who's not going a whole lot, no matter if he's acquired for a 1st, a 7th or nothing is just....not doing a whole lot. Try to pretend as if I said anything but that they are not doing a whole lot THIS YEAR. It might help your agenda that I'm this bad wannabe pro that is just filled with rage and jealousy. Where in that post do I talk about Sekac or the picks we have given up for those guys? Where in that post am I officially saying that we lost that deal?

'Cause CLEARLY I said in my post that I HATED those deals right? You'd be able to act on your agenda IF I would have said that we indeed sold the farm for those guys, which I didn't say. Only said that they aren't doing squat and guess what...they aren't. To a point that I would totally bring Thomas, Ghetto and Bournival back. I guess you have conveniently forgotten that AT THE TIME, I said I liked those deals (aside from the DSP one). How convenient. But the post you quoted is based on what we're seeing TODAY. And again, not a single word about my Petry comment. How convenient and predictable. I also said I like Petry based on what I see TODAY. You have no comment for that? Oh no...you are surely reserving your comment IF we let Petry go so that you'd tell us that it was the only thing to do based on what he's asking. Which, depending of the amount of money he'll sign for we will agree or disagree, mostly based on the fact that Markov isn't getting younger and we need strong d-men for the remainder of our window with Price, Subban and Pacioretty in it.

By the way, your GM that you love protecting so much to a point to always discrediting posters who make comments on him, is the same who hired Therrien when he had a choice between Vigneault, Boucher, Hartley and Roy. The same Therrien who you keep laughing at and saying how awful he was. Same GM Bergevin. On the post you quoted, I didn't say anything about we should have done something else. On other posts, yep, my comment for the past quite a few years were mostly about how Jagr would have fit well with this team. I'd love to hear how this guy would not have helped.

As far as judging the trade of 2 22 year old...I guess you ALSO, quite conveniently, missed all of my other posts when I said that I'm ready to give DSP till NEXT playoffs to determine if he can help or not. But hey, I know, it wouldn't fit your agenda. Yet, even if I'm patient, it doesn't mean that I can't have an opinion on a how a guy is playing RIGHT NOW. I mean, come on.....To the question "What do you think of this player right now"...how the **** can you answer "Let's wait 2 years shall we"? THAT'S NOT THE POINT. YES, to make a FINAL decision on how a deal goes, you DO have to wait. But at the question "What do you think he can offer today"...why the heck can't we answer? Petry TODAY is making us a MUCH better team defensively TODAY. Why can I answer that....but not the ones that might have a negative aspect to it?

As far as Prust and Weise sitting for Flynn and Mitchell, don't look, but all 4 were able to play together. You don't play Malhotra, you don't play Parenteau and you can play all for of those 4 guys together. Not sure where you take that Prust or Weise would have to sit. Not sure why you don't think that it's even possible that based on the great play of both or even just one of Mitchell and Flynn that DLR would not sit either. As much as Therrien is in love with DLR, at the start of the playoffs, he would have love to have a proven vet way more.

Last edited:

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
Getting a single 30 goal scorer from the draft or through trades is hard enough, getting 2 is a pipe dream. The Habs have to fix what they can however, that is changing up the powerplay strategy and to make adjustments to the way they play as it stifles offensive production.

The fact that Montreal has such a great goalie and the existence of such parity that exists in the NHL I dont disagree that an improved Power play would make a difference. We didnt need many more wins this year to win the Presidents trophy.A ppg last nite would have given use one more win.
I think we need a better net presence on the pp. As it stands superior netminding has us where we are. More goals are required. I said 2 30 + goal scorers and as you said a pipedream .Nevertheless someone has to produce an additional 20-30 more goals.Ideally that could be spread out among existing bodies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I tend to agree with this.

I give the DSP trade one more year. I think it was a gamble for a potential PF, and MB is willing to see DSP bust.

It is looking like a bad gamble so far in terms of DSP.

You have to give to get, and I think they felt they could cover the loss of 35 points from Sekac from Hudon and the like.

If DSP busts and Sekac becomes consistent 40 Point 3rd line, then it's a stinker.

Yeah. Me too. I totally agree with this. Only thing left to do is to fit a POST that fits that reply. 'Cause my post most CERTAINLY has NOTHING to do with that reply.

Though, be careful when you say that it's a bad gamble.....Grant might come back hard on you...Oh wait...no....don't worry. He is reserving that for me. Even if I disagreed with that trade, I did mention a couple of times that we have to give DSP at least another year INCLUDING playoffs to be able to determine the value of this trade. And frankly, I'm probably WAY more patient than the majority of the people here. But hey....somehow, it doesn't count. I had the audacity to say that they were not looking good RIGHT NOW, it CLEARLY had to mean that I was writing everybody off forever for some odd reasons.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Decided not to watch these past 2 games thankfully. Might take a little break until the season finale against Toronto.

Subban's comments post game were pretty telling. He seems pretty fed up with the powerplay system. Haven't seen him call out coaching strategy like that before. He is right though. If our plan is to shoot from the point, why the hell is there no traffic in front? It's insanity to have Desharnais and Gallagher in front.

Our number 1 PP should be Pac---Eller---Galch. Eller can be the big body in front and battle for lose pucks. He is the best forward on the team at it. Pacioretty can be a slot shot option with Galchy on the halfboards.

Instead we get Pac---DD----Gallagher. It's so damn easy to box those guys out.

This is probably the worst coaching staff I have witnessed with the habs. I have never seen a team so unable and unwilling to adjust. It's pathetic.
The powerplay lost that game for the Habs.

There won't be a lot of powerplays in the playoffs, but the Habs need to make teams pay with a deadly powerplay. That may make the opposition second think gambling defensively with fringe penalties. What I'm trying to say is they may not play the same vs Habs 5 on 5 if the habs rejuvenate the Powerplay.

DD at 5 on 5 isn't the worst thing. But I agree he needs to be removed from the PP.

And Therien has no balls as a coach. He always sticks to what he knows ie: veterans

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
WOW. Last night Price faced NINETEEN and let in FOUR! CLEARLY on the goalie. Jesus man. Oh forgot, he also let in the game winner in the shootout.......damn goalies
He has one win in his last 5 games.

Beyond the numbers, his positioning is atrocious. This guy won't last in the NHL very long but it'll be frustrating until his blackballed.

To say the Habs could have put Dubnyk under contract instead. Ugh.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I'd usually agree but not tonight

100% offensive starts, 5:21 min of PP time, 0 shot ATTEMPTS and 44% Corsi

I get that DD is a pass first type of player but you got to attempt a shot every once in a while

DD as well as MT were the problems tonight
True, but on most nights, he is not used properly...and it's hard to fault him...it's like the GM who overpays for a UFA, the UFA isn't going to say no to a new insane contract offer...DD isn't going to say no to getting all the o-zone starts, and most of the PP time...
When will our coach wake up, and stop putting DD in these spots?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad