Post-Game Talk: PP not working? MOAR DAVEY!! Habs lose 3-2

Nynja*

Looks like it to me,but you know, no hockey IQ, he cant be credited with deflecting pucks.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I didn't say Subban was the reason for the loss. He can play better for what he is paid.
But hey, I agree with all of your excuses, err points.

Err...factors. It's ok that they lost you know, you don't always have to find a culprit.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Yes, Habs had a 5 minute PP, 30 seconds of 5v3, and a full 2 minutes of 4v3 in OT, on top of the other 3 penalties that they failed to score on, but you're putting this on Tikker.

It shouldnt have gotten to a ****ing shootout to begin with.

You too, put the blame where it belongs: the inept PP.
Nynja is right...no way this is the goalies fault. If your goaltending can keep the goals against to two, he gives you an excellent chance to win. Last night was the PP that let them down...I've been saying it for a long time and heard for the first time on Antichambre last night, they are not very good offensively, they don't have enough true goal scorers, finishers...this is the problem. Pacioretty is a true finisher, Galchenyuk is one in the making...and that's it. Gallagher is a garbage goal scorer wich is great, Plekanec's is steady Eddie, and, well we know about the last two bozos and what THEY bring to the table and it ain't that much..there lies the problem and I'm sure Bergevin took notice. The changes will come this summer...one of the two is gone for sure

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
So the good-possession team with worse goaltending lost again. We've entered the pre-playoffs Twilight Zone.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Subban needs to simplify his game too for the playoffs

Then he needs offensive help so that he doesn't have to do EVERYTHING. He played the whole PP in overtime and at the end he was clearly gassed. Yes I know about the long change but that was a > 215 shift where he was everywhere.

It's not looking good for the second season unless price goes and maintains uber beast mode

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Im hoping that is the last time we will see Tokarski in the net.... ever!

Meh, he.played as well as one could expect. He is what he is, cheap and good to spell price a dozen or so games. Everyone knows if we play him in the playoffs we are sunk.

He didnt.look good in the shootout, he was passable for 65 min.

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
didn't see the game but what has been happening is pretty predictable, and in a way, a blessing as we want our best team and chances heading in to playoffs. Price at the moment no longer in God mode, and with DT playing last night it has been exposing our weaknesses. I know Mitchell has more upside offensively, but the team just seems to play better with Maholtra, Pateryn should also be in lineup as we need the stay at home
defense element and the toughness around net. Also DD should be demoted to 2nd line and Chucky or Eller should get the first line minutes on PP. I honestly don't know what to do with PAP but he is obviously going to be quite useless in playoffs.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
A week before playoffs start and the team has lost 5 out of 6 games.

Great way to go into the playoffs with momentum.

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
Decided not to watch these past 2 games thankfully. Might take a little break until the season finale against Toronto.

Subban's comments post game were pretty telling. He seems pretty fed up with the powerplay system. Haven't seen him call out coaching strategy like that before. He is right though. If our plan is to shoot from the point, why the hell is there no traffic in front? It's insanity to have Desharnais and Gallagher in front.

Our number 1 PP should be Pac---Eller---Galch. Eller can be the big body in front and battle for lose pucks. He is the best forward on the team at it. Pacioretty can be a slot shot option with Galchy on the halfboards.

Instead we get Pac---DD----Gallagher. It's so damn easy to box those guys out.

This is probably the worst coaching staff I have witnessed with the habs. I have never seen a team so unable and unwilling to adjust. It's pathetic.

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
Nynja is right...no way this is the goalies fault. If your goaltending can keep the goals against to two, he gives you an excellent chance to win. Last night was the PP that let them down...I've been saying it for a long time and heard for the first time on Antichambre last night, they are not very good offensively, they don't have enough true goal scorers, finishers...this is the problem. Pacioretty is a true finisher, Galchenyuk is one in the making...and that's it. Gallagher is a garbage goal scorer wich is great, Plekanec's is steady Eddie, and, well we know about the last two bozos and what THEY bring to the table and it ain't that much..there lies the problem and I'm sure Bergevin took notice. The changes will come this summer...one of the two is gone for sure

I agree 100% HABS are featherweights in the goal scoring and hitting rankings. Montreal ranks 23rd in power play goals,23rd in goals scored and 23rd in team hits. Montreals power play ranks very similar to Anaheim and Rangers but those two are near lead in goals scored per game.
Nothing much will change until Montreal acquires some seriou goal scoring.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
Decided not to watch these past 2 games thankfully. Might take a little break until the season finale against Toronto.

Subban's comments post game were pretty telling. He seems pretty fed up with the powerplay system. Haven't seen him call out coaching strategy like that before. He is right though. If our plan is to shoot from the point, why the hell is there no traffic in front? It's insanity to have Desharnais and Gallagher in front.

Our number 1 PP should be Pac---Eller---Galch. Eller can be the big body in front and battle for lose pucks. He is the best forward on the team at it. Pacioretty can be a slot shot option with Galchy on the halfboards.

Instead we get Pac---DD----Gallagher. It's so damn easy to box those guys out.

This is probably the worst coaching staff I have witnessed with the habs. I have never seen a team so unable and unwilling to adjust. It's pathetic.

Gallagher is the best player to play in front of the net despite his size. Just look at the screen he put up in front of Kinkaid for Plekanec's PP goal. Lars Eller doesn't battle the guy just skates around and does nothing he plays when he wants. Desharnais is like Scott Gomez, remember when Gomez would fly around look all good and then before he hits the opponents blueline he just loses the puck, ya that's pretty much DD.

I would try this on the PP,

67 - 27 - 21
76 - 79

22/81/25 - 14 - 11
26 - 28

I don't know why Beaulieu doesn't get PP time??? MT puts Gilbert! Gilbert will never see time on my PP he is just brutal on the PP.
Weise, Eller and De La Rose would rotate to see who fits best.

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
This teams powerplay is something I have never seen in my lifetime.

Montreal ranks 23 in league in goals scored and 23rd in the league in power play goals scored. Coupled with no net presence on the pp you are surprised we dont score more powerplay goals??

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
Gallagher is the best player to play in front of the net despite his size. Just look at the screen he put up in front of Kinkaid for Plekanec's PP goal. Lars Eller doesn't battle the guy just skates around and does nothing he plays when he wants. Desharnais is like Scott Gomez, remember when Gomez would fly around look all good and then before he hits the opponents blueline he just loses the puck, ya that's pretty much DD.

I would try this on the PP,

67 - 27 - 21
76 - 79

22/81/25 - 14 - 11
26 - 28

I don't know why Beaulieu doesn't get PP time??? MT puts Gilbert! Gilbert will never see time on my PP he is just brutal on the PP.
Weise, Eller and De La Rose would rotate to see who fits best.

DSP and Gallagher would provide net presence.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Subban needs to simplify his game too for the playoffs

This ^

PK is flamboyant and talented but makes the game much more difficult than it needs to be. It's not that the rest of the team can't contribute, he just doesn't use his teammates as well as he should. He gives the puck away far too often and can be lazy in his own end.

He is also hesitant to be the first one after the puck in the corner and seems unwilling to take a hit to make a play.

All of that results in extra effort expended by PK and everyone else to get the puck back.

At this point his biggest asset is his booming shot on the PP but the team spends so much time trying to set that up that the rest of PP suffers. He really could simplify his game and make it easier on himself and everyone else.

Shawarma*

with 30% of his total ice time on the PP

Franchise center material

MB absolutely needs to get rid of this guy in the offseason. I just don't see how the situation is sustainable with the way he is used.

Shawarma*

DD is not the problem, the way he is used is.............so we are back to the MT threads...:shakehead

DD is the problem, not just his use. I don't think he is a guy that has a place on this team, or any other contending team, and every time he is moved away from center or off the top line he gives a sad sack interview where he makes it seems like he is going through all this unwarranted adversity,

The Habs are a professional sports franchise. There is no room for feel good stories, moral lessons, coddling of players, or anything other than winning.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
DD is not the problem, the way he is used is.............so we are back to the MT threads...:shakehead

I'd usually agree but not tonight

100% offensive starts, 5:21 min of PP time, 0 shot ATTEMPTS and 44% Corsi

I get that DD is a pass first type of player but you got to attempt a shot every once in a while

DD as well as MT were the problems tonight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad