PP, Ference, and Purcell get the win for the caps.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Meh, I don't like Nillsons style of play. Flop on the ice like a whale hoping his pure size is enough to stop pucks and being harpooned instead.

Farley Mowat wrote a book about this guy..

Caps feasted on Nillson. Picked the carcass clean. They would again anytime they faced him.

But really how hard is it to beat a guy that goes down early, doesn't move, and doesn't even display having lateral mobility in goal?

Fundamentally this guy looks to be in the stone age.

Swedish Gump Worsely. Bad memories of Salo.
I like how we completely refuted your point and you just ignored all of it. You defend Scrivens tooth and nail but hate Nilsson for the same reasons. At least with Nilsson he is a young goalie still and isn't in his prime. Scrivens is only and looking to be heavily in decline.

McDeathbyCheerios*

So Scrivens is dirt. Is that the only alternative to Nillson?

At least Scrivens played well for awhile here before screwing up.
Nilsson played great against Vancouver and Dallas. He has had one game so far where he has looked bad. And the d didn't help him at all last game.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
So Scrivens is dirt. Is that the only alternative to Nillson?

At least Scrivens played well for awhile here before screwing up.

whats the point of even defending scrivens?

we were in the lottery ....the goaltending did not play a small part in that....they played a significant one.

Scrivens was beaten by Nilsson in camp....pretty cleanly.

We'll see what happens.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I like how we completely refuted your point and you just ignored all of it. You defend Scrivens tooth and nail but hate Nilsson for the same reasons. At least with Nilsson he is a young goalie still and isn't in his prime. Scrivens is only and looking to be heavily in decline.

Its very important to defend this internet thread sidebar hill to the very end.. :sarcasm::laugh:

I think I must've been drunk last night. :amazed::help::nod:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
whats the point of even defending scrivens?
You tell me and we'll both know. What I get for venting my spleen and getting pulled over for posting over the limit..;)

we were in the lottery ....the goaltending did not play a small part in that....they played a significant one.
I need another cup of coffee to understand this part.

Scrivens was beaten by Nilsson in camp....pretty cleanly.

We'll see what happens.

Team should have obtained better than a NIllson as a backup. If we want to be at all serious about being competitive.
So scrivens is garbage. I have a strong feeling Nillson will be that as well.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Goalies have bad games. Early last year Lundqvist allowed 6 goals on 24 shots and got pulled... Against the Leafs.

Does that mean the book is written on him? No. It means he had a bad game.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Goalies have bad games. Early last year Lundqvist allowed 6 goals on 24 shots and got pulled... Against the Leafs.

Does that mean the book is written on him? No. It means he had a bad game.

We'll see. I have a lot of questions about his fundamentals. Which I've found strange others aren't commenting on.

Again the funny thing about all this is there were no less than half a dozen posters in GDT saying we are starting our better goalie for the Caps game. How on earth does anybody think Nillson>Talbot at this point?

What I think is that nobody really knows anything about Nillson. Which I've said all along. But he was literally set on fire in two of his 3 starts thus far.
Am I jumping the gun? I would say that's accurate if I hadn't recognized a clear fault in Nillsons stance in 5 of the 6 goals. That could suggest bad night. It could just as easily suggest some serious fundamental problems. The pattern was clear, he was committing and going down early on everything and staying down.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Meh, I don't like Nillsons style of play. Flop on the ice like a whale hoping his pure size is enough to stop pucks and being harpooned instead.

Farley Mowat wrote a book about this guy..

Caps feasted on Nillson. Picked the carcass clean. They would again anytime they faced him.

But really how hard is it to beat a guy that goes down early, doesn't move, and doesn't even display having lateral mobility in goal?

Fundamentally this guy looks to be in the stone age.

Swedish Gump Worsely. Bad memories of Salo.

You just described Scrivens perfectly. :D

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
take it for what its worth;

5 goals on kincade
5 goals on jones
4 goals on darling
4 goals on ward
6 goals on hiller/ramo

I am in the Nilsson played bad camp....but he also had no support.

7 goals on Nilsson/Talbot

Anyway, looking at what the Capitals have done scoring >4 goals in almost every game....it's probably not entirely on the goalies.

They attack extremely well and have some of the best scorers in the league.

On the bright side we scored more goals then any of the caps opponents so far :dunno:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
McLellan was talking in the practice interview yesterday about a "lack of trust" out on the ice. I initially took that to mean defensive players. It can probably be extended to include the D and the goalie (Nilsson) as well though.

I do agree that Nilsson had a poor game, but he cannot just be written off because of it. He was solid in net in his other games and typically was standing up for the most part. He WAS flopping around too much against the Caps for my taste. It was only 1 bad game out a good number though. He can't really be hung out to dry for it on these boards.....it happened enough during his last game by the D.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
But in a night where the Oilers give up 7 goals and played their worst defensive game of the year by a country mile, Teddy Purcell wasn't on the ice for a single goal against.

Whoa whoa whoa whooooooooa..... get your facts out of here. These kids got a narrative to push!

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Whoa whoa whoa whooooooooa..... get your facts out of here. These kids got a narrative to push!

Purcell was at his best last game. To borrow a phrase from one of the Boldest men to ever grace the NHL, the best Purcell is going to be is a non-factor :naughty:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Purcell was at his best last game. To borrow a phrase from one of the Boldest men to ever grace the NHL, the best Purcell is going to be is a non-factor :naughty:

He made an amazing defensive play early, but was fairly ineffectual later on. In general Purcell has been good defensively but lacking offensively, especially this season.

In the offensive zone he's missing a lot of shots and messing plays up. It's almost like he tried to fix his defensive game and then forgot to keep up his offensive skills. At one point in his career he was known for his offense

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
He made an amazing defensive play early, but was fairly ineffectual later on. In general Purcell has been good defensively but lacking offensively, especially this season.

In the offensive zone he's missing a lot of shots and messing plays up. It's almost like he tried to fix his defensive game and then forgot to keep up his offensive skills. At one point in his career he was known for his offense

Agree. Purcell has been really effective on the D side of things. Offensively, he has beeen some kind of black hole out there, sucking the gravity of the forwards he plays with into some kind of weird vortex of bad.

It would be cool if someone put the offensive gaffs of Purcell this year to this:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad