TSN: Power Rankings...Leafs 19th. December 17, 2014

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sorry. These guys have lost a lot of credibility over the last year. They slot the Leafs at 15 and have the Ranger and the Habs at 8 and 9. What a joke TSN has become.

NYR and Montreal are in playoff spots and Leafs are in a wild card position.

Maybe higher in the standings reflects in their rankings.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Wins and losses have become less important than mother****ing Corsi and Fenwick.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I simply posted it from the fact of how out of whack these guys really are.

I don't care about advanced stats...team is 11-2 over the last while. Advance stat that! At the end of the day we win.

You could make an argument for Montreal being slotted ahead but it would be splitting hairs right now. This is weekly power rankings and when a team runs 11-2 you think you would have them ranked higher than they are. Just shows how *** backwards TSN really is. They beat Tampa twice in consecutive weeks, in each others barn. I won't even get into NYR, Col, beat Phx on the road. Leaf's on this list should be 8 or 9-no lower!

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada
NYR and Montreal are in playoff spots and Leafs are in a wild card position.

Maybe higher in the standings reflects in their rankings.

Montreal and Toronto have same wins, Montreal has a game in hand, that is what I meant about splitting hairs. Considering where the Leafs are in relation to Mon and TBay you could lump them all within one or another. Putting NYR and Col, Dal, Phx ahead is a joke. It really doesn't matter, it is there opinion-just don't come across as 'The Insiders' that know all about hockey when you can't even get a **** power ranking right.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Montreal and Toronto have same wins, Montreal has a game in hand, that is what I meant about splitting hairs. Considering where the Leafs are in relation to Mon and TBay you could lump them all within one or another. Putting NYR and Col, Dal, Phx ahead is a joke. It really doesn't matter, it is there opinion-just don't come across as 'The Insiders' that know all about hockey when you can't even get a **** power ranking right.

ROW wins are the first tie-breaker and Montreal has 29 and the Leafs 23 so a +6 difference between Habs and Leafs. That is more than splitting hairs IMO. Montreal game in hand is not the reason they are ahead of the Leafs but ROW instead.

If you simply take the top 3 teams in each div as they're in playoff spots that uses up the first 12 spots of the power rankings and why NYR and Col are ahead.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Power Ranking Methodology is explained here. (Note: While all injuries are taken into account, those listed as Key Injuries for each team generally consist of top six forwards, top four defencemen and starting goaltenders.)

NYR for example have all their top 9 forwards in double digit goals scored ie balanced scoring.. Leafs are essentially a 1 line team.

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada
ROW wins are the first tie-breaker and Montreal has 29 and the Leafs 23 so a +6 difference between Habs and Leafs. That is more than splitting hairs IMO. Montreal game in hand is not the reason they are ahead of the Leafs but ROW instead.

If you simply take the top 3 teams in each div as they're in playoff spots that uses up the first 12 spots of the power rankings and why NYR and Col are ahead.

They are weekly power rankings correct? The team has gone 11-2 over the last few weeks but that record they should be slotted much higher than they are. This is not 'year in review'. If the Leafs finish 1 pt ahead of Mon than this ROW means ****-just another garbage stat to keep actuaries employed.

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Power Ranking Methodology is explained here. (Note: While all injuries are taken into account, those listed as Key Injuries for each team generally consist of top six forwards, top four defencemen and starting goaltenders.)

NYR for example have all their top 9 forwards in double digit goals scored ie balanced scoring.. Leafs are essentially a 1 line team.

Who cares? They win. Should show how stupid the other teams are that they can't stop a one horse pony.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They are weekly power rankings correct? The team has gone 11-2 over the last few weeks but that record they should be slotted much higher than they are. This is not 'year in review'. If the Leafs finish 1 pt ahead of Mon than this ROW means ****-just another garbage stat to keep actuaries employed.

The rankings are far more complicated then just the team record the past few weeks.

I posted a link above that explains all the things that go into these rankings.

Leafs hit the break with an 11-2-1 record in the past 14 games, and those results are fighting back against underlying numbers that wouldn't typically put the Leafs in the playoff picture. As is, however, they hold a wildcard spot, ahead of four teams that have at least as many regulation/OT wins.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB

Ottawa did okay for themselves with Alfie Spezza and Heatley for a number of years.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

You are correct. We've killed it for a month now. But some on here(and in the media....) like to hold onto, and magnify, anything that will bring the team down a peg.

I'm getting tired of it, myself.

Oh well. All we have to do is KEEP WINNING. It silences the vast majority of them.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

Except they aren't. The Leafs have 5 players with 15 or more goals. The Rangers have 3. That's a little bit different than a "1 line team".

Rangers have more balanced scoring depth at the top end of their roster, but less high end scoring. Leafs have top end heavy scoring, but less scoring depth.

But even our depth isn't that bad. We have 11 players with 5 or more goals, they have 10. Our 11 players have a combined 144 goals, their 10 have a combined 124.

And our "depth" includes Bolland who's played 16 games, Bozak who's played 36 games, and Holland who's played 31 games. None of their top 10 has played less than 42 games (Nash, Callahan) and the rest have played 49 or more.

So it's a little facetious to say we're a "1 line team" and they have more spread out scoring.

Sometimes the things you say make very little sense and seem derived simply out of a need to put the Leafs in a negative context.:(

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada
The rankings are far more complicated then just the team record the past few weeks.

From the link:

"Consider the rankings to be a snapshot (think photography, not Ovechkin coming down the wing) of a team's value at a given time. For the purposes of TSN.ca, that will most often be on Mondays, when the rankings are updated each week. That means the rankings are always subject to change based on any number of factors, whether it's injuries, trades or simply improved results."

Then he goes on to add more BS to his BS!

"While the end result of the weighted individual grades provides an approximate value for each team, over the years I've incorporated small weightings for factors like divisional strength, power play and penalty killing results to help smooth statistics that are compiled against different levels of competition. These aren't huge factors in the overall rating but certainly if teams are of similar value otherwise, the team in the stronger division will most often prevail in the rankings."

So Einstein added more BS to his theory of relativity since apparently this is a "Snapshot" in his mind.....apparently for Einstein this is his "Frame of Reference"...for anyone that got beyond 2nd year physics.

So when you add all this garbage into his equation, the 'snapshot' of the Leafs that have gone 11-2 over the last few weeks, their value is significantly less than NYR, Columbus, TBay(which they beat twice in a week), LA, Phx and Dal.

Can't convince me Mess but hey, if you're ok with it and the explanation than wonderful.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

Except that his write ups and rankings of other teams show that it's pretty much inherently flawed.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Leafs are essentially a 1 line team.

That is FAR from the truth. What is your deal, Man? Not much of what you say about the Leafs is very fair at all.

We have five 15 goal scorers on this team, and should easily end up with five 20 goal scorers by end of the year.

Our top TWO lines are very much a threat.

And that's obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada
That is FAR from the truth. What is your deal, Man? Not much of what you say about the Leafs is very fair at all.

We have five 15 goal scorers on this team, and should easily end up with five 20 goal scorers by end of the year.

Our top TWO lines are very much a threat.

And that's obvious.

It's simple. He has said play the kids, we have, kids all over this lineup including goal and have played well and that is not good enough. There is always more negative than positive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remuskokafication

Jul 7, 2008
Scarborough
The only rankings other than the standings that are really valuable are the ones on gambling sites.

They have us between 10 and 15 in chance to win it all. TSN just has some goofier teams ahead of us.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
From the link:

"Consider the rankings to be a snapshot (think photography, not Ovechkin coming down the wing) of a team's value at a given time. For the purposes of TSN.ca, that will most often be on Mondays, when the rankings are updated each week. That means the rankings are always subject to change based on any number of factors, whether it's injuries, trades or simply improved results."

Then he goes on to add more BS to his BS!

"While the end result of the weighted individual grades provides an approximate value for each team, over the years I've incorporated small weightings for factors like divisional strength, power play and penalty killing results to help smooth statistics that are compiled against different levels of competition. These aren't huge factors in the overall rating but certainly if teams are of similar value otherwise, the team in the stronger division will most often prevail in the rankings."

So Einstein added more BS to his theory of relativity since apparently this is a "Snapshot" in his mind.....apparently for Einstein this is his "Frame of Reference"...for anyone that got beyond 2nd year physics.

So when you add all this garbage into his equation, the 'snapshot' of the Leafs that have gone 11-2 over the last few weeks, their value is significantly less than NYR, Columbus, TBay(which they beat twice in a week), LA, Phx and Dal.

Can't convince me Mess but hey, if you're ok with it and the explanation than wonderful.

Not my rankings but TSN instead..

Therefore I'm not trying to convince you, was just pointing out things that factor into their final rankings and the recent team record is not the only factor which seems to be what your contention seems to be with.

The premise, then, of my NHL Power Rankings is to determine the team that would be favoured to win a seven-game series on neutral ice. The theoretical premise is based on neutral ice because home-ice advantage is a circumstance of play, not a measure of a team's actual quality.
Given that any team could beat any other in a single game, the likelihood swings towards a more statistically-relevant result when it comes to a seven-game series.

He concludes his explanation with;

Hopefully, this helps address some of the questions you may have regarding the TSN.ca NHL Power Rankings but you are welcome to e-mail me at [email protected] if you would like additional clarification.

Perhaps you could email him for additional info.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

The Leafs most common "second line" of Raymond - Kadri - Lupul has more goals than any of the Ranger's usual lines.

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
I can live with the team being ranked at 15- it's purely subjective. That said, any player ranking based on actual objective analysis of data that determines Kessel is the 45th ranked player in the league currently, is a complete joke. What does this guy have to do to get the respect of being a top-level offensive star in this league? The TSN player ratings are total nonsense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad