TSN: Power Rankings...Leafs 19th. December 17, 2014

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Sorry. These guys have lost a lot of credibility over the last year. They slot the Leafs at 15 and have the Ranger and the Habs at 8 and 9. What a joke TSN has become.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Kessel is the 43rd best player in the world according to them. I wouldn't put much stock in their rankings.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
How the heck is Columbus 5 spots ahead of us? We're 7 points ahead, even though they have 2 games in hand, and no team in the league has been as hot as us the past little while (though there are some comparable).

Montreal I can at least understand since they're technically ahead, even though 6 spots seems a bit much given how close we are.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Sorry. These guys have lost a lot of credibility over the last year. They slot the Leafs at 15 and have the Ranger and the Habs at 8 and 9. What a joke TSN has become.

In their last 15 games going back to Jan. 10th, the Leafs are 11-4.

Not sure what else they need to do.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
It's not that off.

Toronto has the 10th most points in the league. If teams win their games in hand they could be 12th.

The rangers, who would still be below the leafs (but are still really close) in this case are 7-3-0 in their last 10 while the leafs are 7-2-1, very comparable so at that point you could look at the margin of victories and how convincing they are.

Montreal is on a 3 game winning streak while being ahead of Toronto in the standings.

I think the leafs may be a little low at 15, but if I was to do it myself they would still probably only be at 12-14.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It's always the same deal from Cullen. Idk why but he hates giving any Leaf player any credit.

Not a big deal, though, I mean... it's just a power ranking.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Looks like they are using "advanced" stats to make their decisions to rank the teams.

Hit the break with an 11-2-1 record in the past 14 games, and those results are fighting back against underlying numbers that wouldn't typically put the Leafs in the playoff picture. As is, however, they hold a wildcard spot, ahead of four teams that have at least as many regulation/OT wins.

Seems fair. Jumped up 2 spots. But then you look at the Habs and they jumped 4 spots from 13 to 9.

5-1-1 in the past seven games, the Canadiens have emerged from a stretch during which they had four regulation wins in a 22-game span. Declining possession numbers are still a concern.

Hum....

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
While we're roaring back in the standings 15th is about right after our terrible stretch of games. Let's not forget they Columbus is in a weaker division

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Meh, it's better if people underestimate the team. It's fine if people want to focus solely on corsi stats as long as they can understand that corsi isn't everything.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
It's probably because the Leafs constantly have slow starts and often win by being horribly outplayed. Until those two things change long term, we're still probably going to be viewed as lucky or pretenders.

Oh well, it really doesn't matter.

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
Can we stop getting offended by everything please?

They're ranked 15th. That's great. Can rank them 31st for all I care as long as they keep winning.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
If I was a website looking for hits would I A)talk about glowing pucks from the 90's, B)talk about bunny rabbits, or C)piss of Leaf fans? Hmmm...

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
The team needs to speak with their actions. If/When they make some noise in the playoffs, these power rankings will reflect that.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012

I don't think the ranking is a joke. There is relavence in the reasoning of the ranking...."...underlying numbers that wouldn't typically put the Leafs in the playoff picture...."

Can't argue it - it's fact. We're lucky to be in a wildcard slot.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's not Standings, it's Power Rankings, results over the past week/month (however often they do it)

We should be top 5 based on recent results

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
It's not Standings, it's Power Rankings, results over the past week/month (however often they do it)

We should be top 5 based on recent results

Based on their explanation for leafs ranking, TSN does not look only at results.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I honestly believe that some sports journalists are so worried about being labelled as Leafs boosters that they take it in the opposite direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad