Micheyev
Kapanen | Johnsson
Barrie | Kerfoot​

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
7AB423EC-2E8C-424A-9BA2-B37AA8A227B6.jpeg

Sad.

The 40 million dollar boys produce this ? Ouch !

Dubas our PP is penalizing No one.

We need a stat..... power play value: results / cost.

We have to be worst in the league.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
With the talent on that first unit, they should be able to move and rotate around to give Matthews and Tavares different looks. It should be our most feared weapon.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I think the pp would be better without Mitch... he gives the pick away all the time.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I think the pp would be better without Mitch... he gives the pick away all the time.
Except he has the most pp points on the team. Good strategy though...getting rid of the biggest contributor to make it better

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Except he has the most pp points on the team. Good strategy though...getting rid of the biggest contributor to make it better

....Ohhhhh I see the pp sucks, but because he has the most PP points 20% into a season, he cannot be the reason the overall unit is under performing.

Well this is so simple! We just need to find the guy on the #1 unit who has the least amount of PP points and replace him with somebody new... and BAM! We will have the best PP in the league!

[MOD]

My point is Marner is trying to do too much with the puck, he's a skilled guy and should not be off the pp long, but he needs to move the puck quicker sometimes and stop trying to force low quality, thread the needle type plays when moving it to another teammate would be the better option.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Get Rid of the Bumper Position, its stupid

PP1:

Tavares
Nylander | Matthews
Marner | Rielly

PP2:

Micheyev
Kapanen | Johnsson
Barrie | Kerfoot​

Bumper position isn't stupid if used properly. We're not using it properly at all.

Marner (in his usual spot) should have the options 1) pass to point 2) pass down low to the net-front guy 3) cross-ice to Matthews AND lastly 4) pass to the bumper position for a one-timer.

Our layout issue is that the bumper position is always a left-handed shot for some dumb reason, it needs to be a right-handed shot in order for that position to be effective. Think of Brayden Point on Tampa's powerplay or TJ Oshie on Washington's powerplay.

I suggest Barrie in that bumper position, since he has a wicked right-handed shot.

Reactions: OddyOh and IPS

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Get Rid of the Bumper Position, its stupid

PP1:

Tavares
Nylander | Matthews
Marner | Rielly

PP2:

Micheyev
Kapanen | Johnsson
Barrie | Kerfoot​

The bumper position is actually a huge part of any good PP. They don't get many touches on the puck due to hanging around the slot (most dangerous area of the ice) but they play a huge part in breaking down coverage to open up the money plays. When a team commits too much to defending a one timer threat, the next play down the chain is having a man down low make a quick short pass to the bumper.

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
It took them 5 failed powerplays to get to the point of saying "what's the worst that can happen?". Give us another 2-3 1st round losses and we'll change up the lines in the playoffs maybe.
It kind of sounds like they are maybe being over coached maybe?

Reactions: SAMCRO44

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Shared it in the Babcock thread but look at the movement in Floridas PP last year. The stationary part is either a Babcock or player issue, but the players can be coached...

Mcfarland had all 5 players on Floridas powerplay moving at all times.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I would carry Spezza at least on the fourth line to put on the PP, especially with Marner injured.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I don't know why they just don't continue to rotate through their four lines and 3 pairing as if it is still 5v5 when they get a PP. Can't be any worse.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
We should have the best f***ing powerplay in the league BAR NONE with all the damn talent we can throw out there.

Instead it SUCKS and is literally costing us a playoff spot. We should be dummying teams with our PP.

Dubas, SHANAHAN, you just gonna sit around and watch? DO SOMETHING. make a goddamn change already. its. not. working.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs don’t have two guys on the point on their PP1 or PP2 who can pitch it back and forth, distribute to each side of the ice efficiently or walk the line to create the threat of a shot from the point at various angles. It’s so stagnant and starts with the D and permeates to the forward group.

The slow drop pass happy breakout also just creates a traffic jam at the opposition blueline and is begging for a two on one against. Ugly.

Reactions: Erdinger

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It’s worth at least a try. I mean the PP is terrible why not try Barrie.

He’s played the point. He sucks. He’s drop pass heavy, out of position often and fails to keep the puck in the zone, is butter soft in a one on one contest to the point of being a liability, doesn’t use his shot, has had poor vision distributing the puck and is otherwise not effective.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
He’s played the point. He sucks. He’s drop pass heavy, out of position often and fails to keep the puck in the zone, is butter soft in a one on one contest to the point of being a liability, doesn’t use his shot, has had poor vision distributing the puck and is otherwise not effective.
He has been brutal. To say the least. I agree with ya there. But figured hey maybe a look on the PP might work. Could be a dream that turns into a nightmare though. Lol.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm with the coaching staff

Trying stuff is hard, way better off doing nothing and praying for different results instead

We may be praying to the wrong God though, we may need to try a different one instead, or sacrifice an animal perhaps?

NastyKnies

Feb 20, 2010
Canada
It is insanity. They do the same shit over and over again. The break out for instance that stupid drop pass does not work at all. I see other teams do it, but the leafs for some unknown reason do it like 5 times in a bloody row it's so frustrating to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad