Speculation: Power Play Discussion

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Laine at the point on the PP makes it a much better PP.
Ehlers on PP1 and Poink off.
Scheif Wheeler Ehlers Connor

Reactions: Psych0dad

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think he would be excellent on the popint' Not sure what you mean by bobbles the puck too much.
They'd have to respect the shot and he is one of the best passers on the team. He can move in and draw players toward him and pass off to an open man if there is no shot or pass.
i think it is worth a try at least because what we have has become stagnant.
If Laine was our last man back on the PP we would set a record for most short handed goals against. Even going 4-1 adds risk to be getting scored on. Going 5-0 with your statistically worst defensive forward as the last man back is a recipe for disaster.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don’t think Laine is the guy you want on the point? He bobbles the puck too much and is prone to bad giveaways. We would have a lot of high danger chances coming the other way.

Yeah Karyia is the last great forward who played on the point a lot on the PP and Paul had softer hands and was much better at passing and managing the puck then Patrick. I didn't hurt that he also was a very fast skater and above average defensively.

Laine doesn't have the lateral mobility to open up his shot on the point either, I think it would be a disaster to use him there.

Reactions: KingBogo

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If Laine was our last man back on the PP we would set a record for most short handed goals against. Even going 4-1 adds risk to be getting scored on. Going 5-0 with your statistically worst defensive forward as the last man back is a recipe for disaster.

Agreed, any time I see him handle the puck on the left point coming up from his wing position I just shudder if he gets any pressure on him......he bobbles the puck, mishandles it, throws it away,.......it's like he panics under that pressure b/c doesn't want to make a mistake which actually leads to more mistakes. Laine on the point is a horrible idea IMO.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I wouldn't be thinking defense on the PP to be honest. Laine would be just fine back there and I think our PP numbers would improve.

Wasn't Buff the last forward to play the point??????????

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I wouldn't be thinking defense on the PP to be honest. Laine would be just fine back there and I think our PP numbers would improve.

You have to be aware defensively even on the PP. Buff was very cool under pressure at the point and we sorely missed his shot.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Buff is a great defensman and a pretty terrible forward, same with Burns so neither counts imo. Kariya was a full time forward that played a lot on the point on the PP, it is very rare to have a single forward on the point nowadays.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Yeah Karyia is the last great forward who played on the point a lot on the PP and Paul had softer hands and was much better at passing and managing the puck then Patrick. I didn't hurt that he also was a very fast skater and above average defensively.

Laine doesn't have the lateral mobility to open up his shot on the point either, I think it would be a disaster to use him there.

Laine is best shooting from roughly the FO dot to the top of the circle.......that's where he is lethal shooting. You touched on a good point his lateral movement isn't great and neither is his first few strides so quick adjustments laterally or speed wise isn't great......which leads to the point of he stays too stationary out there and needs to find those open lanes and soft spots so the other guys can pass to him or send pass for the one timer. PP needs to be more creative and that includes all the players on the PP, not just Laine & not just Wheeler........everyone knows the pass across from Wheeler to Laine is coming......which a big issue, they all need to be more creative. Maybe they could add a PP assistant coach who has more offensive mind then our current assistant coach handling it.....Adam Oates maybe. Oates was a very creative player, has coached, plus has lots of ties to Mark S.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Laine is best shooting from roughly the FO dot to the top of the circle.......that's where he is lethal shooting. You touched on a good point his lateral movement isn't great and neither is his first few strides so quick adjustments laterally or speed wise isn't great......which leads to the point of he stays too stationary out there and needs to find those open lanes and soft spots so the other guys can pass to him or send pass for the one timer. PP needs to be more creative and that includes all the players on the PP, not just Laine & not just Wheeler........everyone knows the pass across from Wheeler to Laine is coming......which a big issue, they all need to be more creative. Maybe they could add a PP assistant coach who has more offensive mind then our current assistant coach handling it.....Adam Oates maybe. Oates was a very creative player, has coached, plus has lots of ties to Mark S.
IMO the biggest problem on our PP we are far too static and too locked into roles. I’d like to see a PP where Laine and Scheifele drifted back and forth. And you put Stastny at the net and have him drift back and forth with Wheeler on the half wall. Make teams stay disciplined on their PK and if they don’t you have opened up lots of scoring potential.

Reactions: PhilJets

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I doubt Oates is giving up his business to coach at this point. I think he would be good but I can imagine his consulting gig is pretty lucrative and I can't imagine other NHL teams being ok with him coaching a team and then individual players on other teams. It would be a pretty big conflict of interest.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I doubt Oates is giving up his business to coach at this point. I think he would be good but I can imagine his consulting gig is pretty lucrative and I can't imagine other NHL teams being ok with him coaching a team and then individual players on other teams. It would be a pretty big conflict of interest.

I doubt he would also, creates too many conflict of interest problems for him and players he trains. Just used him as a example, lots of other options out there

Reactions: surixon

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Hmmm... I've seen this a few times, then I think about:

Scheifele
Ehlers
Connor
Laine
Trouba
Morrissey
Copp
Lowry
Appleton
Hellebuyck

Not very many bad results from the Jets' prospect pipeline, all things considered.

Is Trotz great at developing prospects? Burkovsky? Schmidt?

Also, for those who think Trotz is a superior coach, remember:

Missed the playoffs for his first 5 NHL seasons, and 8 of his 15 seasons with Nashville.

In 15 seasons in Nashville his team made it to Round 2 of the playoffs 2 times, and never to the 3rd round.
Hmmm... I suppose if your definition of success is one playoff run in the last 10 years then Maurice is doing a great job.

I'd venture to say the Jets players above have done reasonably well in spite of Maurice. I'd also say the majority of NHL teams prospects show improvement and success with whomever is coaching.
I would also say that with Trotz or someone else at the helm, we would have had more success the last few seasons. Were we not picked to win the Cup by the Hockey News recently?
Laine, Ehlers, etc have not been utilized properly in my opinion and Scheifele continues to bet loads of icetime despite a lack of defensive responsibility the last couple of seasons.

Trotz has had more success than Maurice over the last 10 seasons, especially the last six.

We have been a very predictable team the last while. A very stagnant PP amongst other things have the Jets sliding from an upper echelon team to the middle of the pack.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
IMO the biggest problem on our PP we are far too static and too locked into roles. I’d like to see a PP where Laine and Scheifele drifted back and forth. And you put Stastny at the net and have him drift back and forth with Wheeler on the half wall. Make teams stay disciplined on their PK and if they don’t you have opened up lots of scoring potential.

Well the big issue is that Maurice is a coach that likes role specialization so if we want a more fluid team it starts at the top.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Another problem is, PK can focus more low down, on our forwards b/c while we have a couple decent puck movers in Pionk & Josh......none of our D have the big cannon from the point like Buff used to have.......so the PK & goalie aren't really threatened by any big shots from the point......best we can hope for is screens or tips from the point......not very often will any of our D beat a goalie clean without a tip or screen.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Another problem is, PK can focus more low down, on our forwards b/c while we have a couple decent puck movers in Pionk & Josh......none of our D have the big cannon from the point like Buff used to have.......so the PK & goalie aren't really threatened by any big shots from the point......best we can hope for is screens or tips from the point......not very often will any of our D beat a goalie clean without a tip or screen.
Yup. We all miss Buff.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
80 mins sample over 3 years? is this enough to make a stamping conclusion that the line is better than ESW that has 600+ mins together over the past 3 years? I don't disagree that ESL should be used. I was a proponent of having Wheeler a 2C with Connor and another RW flanking him. But Stastny's acquisition might have changed that.

Of course 80 mins is not enough for anything, but they played a lot more time together in 2016-2017 which wasn't included in that, and they were excellent then as well. In short, the line has always had phenomenal results. So the question is not is 80 minutes enough, it should be why is it only 80 minutes?

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
As for the PP. Wheeler & Scheif should swap places. Blake plays closer to the net setting up the screen, looking for deflections and rebounds. I'd rather run 5 forwards on the 1st unit than let Pionk pad his stats and get overpaid for it next year. Whatever it takes to get Ehlers on there and add some movement, improve our zone entries. He and Mark can rotate off the right wall & point.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
So you want to take one of our best goal scorers off the PP ? Connor? That doesn't make sense to me. Everyone is bitching about Pionk on the PP , Wheeler is the guy that has to come off the #1 unit unless he's going to stand in front and screen the goalie.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So you want to take one of our best goal scorers off the PP ? Connor? That doesn't make sense to me. Everyone is bitching about Pionk on the PP , Wheeler is the guy that has to come off the #1 unit unless he's going to stand in front and screen the goalie.

If we had a competent defencemen at the point Wheeler likely doesn't need to come off. We are sorely lacking a strong PP QB on this team now that Buff is gone. Even if his shot was a country mile to wide most of the time, teams still respected it, if not for the chaos it could create. So there was less cheating happening to Laine's side because Wheels could just give it to Buff to rip a chaotic and heavy one timer at the net. The only problem with the other two guys to move over there (Ehlers/Connor) both shoot left. So they won't be able to get clean passe off. Scheif is a right shot but you want him in that bumper spot as a threat as well, otherwise why the hell cover the bumper spot with Wheels there? He's not a threat. Just cheat back to the middle to cover the seem pass to Laine.

We need that reverse umbrella to be effective.

KC
Net

Laine Scheif Wheels

PP QB

That's the best set-up we could possibly have. KC is insanely good at creating space behind the net, and funneling the puck to the bumper and around. Wheeler can make those bumper and point passes cross seam all day. A PP QB is how this team gets back to where we were. But most people don't want a one dimensional PP QB, and most people don't realize we aren't going to find a two-way high end #1 RD sitting on the fence waiting to get a camp tryout anytime soon.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
If we had a competent defencemen at the point Wheeler likely doesn't need to come off. We are sorely lacking a strong PP QB on this team now that Buff is gone. Even if his shot was a country mile to wide most of the time, teams still respected it, if not for the chaos it could create. So there was less cheating happening to Laine's side because Wheels could just give it to Buff to rip a chaotic and heavy one timer at the net. The only problem with the other two guys to move over there (Ehlers/Connor) both shoot left. So they won't be able to get clean passe off. Scheif is a right shot but you want him in that bumper spot as a threat as well, otherwise why the hell cover the bumper spot with Wheels there? He's not a threat. Just cheat back to the middle to cover the seem pass to Laine.

KC
Net

Laine Scheif Wheels

PP QB

That's the best set-up we could possibly have. KC is insanely good at creating space behind the net, and funneling the puck to the bumper and around. Wheeler can make those bumper and point passes cross seam all day. A PP QB is how this team gets back to where we were. But most people don't want a one dimensional PP QB, and most people don't realize we aren't going to find a two-way high end #1 RD sitting on the fence waiting to get a camp tryout anytime soon.
I would still replace either Connor or Wheeler with the zone entry god Ehlers. We would get an extra 10-15 seconds/PP in the O-zone for the first unit.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

KC
Net

Laine Scheif Wheels

PP QB

I agree about needing a Buff at the point absolutely but i don't want Connor off the #1 unit. I just don't think Wheeler is our best option we have for the first PP .

Reactions: Halberdier

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
To be honest even though our PP could use some help our PK needs way more. We have to be better at that this season or we are going to have a tough time making playoffs .

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I think the powerplay will improve by having Stastny in Connor’s spot. It will really help to have a second playmaker in addition to Wheeler. Connor is very good around the net but it would be better to have two options for getting the puck to Scheifele or Laine IMO.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I think the powerplay will improve by having Stastny in Connor’s spot. It will really help to have a second playmaker in addition to Wheeler. Connor is very good around the net but it would be better to have two options for getting the puck to Scheifele or Laine IMO.

This is true. Connor has slick mits but zero hockey sense. He can pass to the slot or step out front and shoot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad