Speculation: Power Play Discussion

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Having statsny in conners spot will add another dimension once again.

This alone will improve it drastically. If we find a good PP Qb the powerplay will be top 5 again.

Reactions: surixon

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
He needs to watch Mackinnon in Colorado and start emulating some of what Nathan does on the PP. He walks it into the middle of the ice and shoots often. I would like to see Laine do the same.
Having MacKinnon’s speed and strength would go along way in achieving that. Great thing to try, but you need the tools.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Find a point threat and it’s a non issue. Nevermind Cooper the mastermind, our pp would be infinitely better with Hedman, end of story.

Every team in the league knows what the other teams are running and they are constantly adjusting. Coaching plays a part but having the right personnel pieces plays a bigger part. The Jets are one key piece from a top 5 PP again.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Find a point threat and it’s a non issue. Nevermind Cooper the mastermind, our pp would be infinitely better with Hedman, end of story.

Every team in the league knows what the other teams are running and they are constantly adjusting. Coaching plays a part but having the right personnel pieces plays a bigger part. The Jets are one key piece from a top 5 PP again.

I agree, unfortunately it’s the most important piece we are missing

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I can't say what exactly the Jets have planned for their PP and how much Maurice coaches it, but I think maybe Maurice's coaching is getting more "credit" than it's due. I'm under the impression PP units generally tend to have a lot of freedom in how they want to play things and a lot of the setup is down for the players to decide and work out.

Like it's been pointed out, losing Buff was big, the Jets don't have a point man anywhere near the capability. IMO Buff wasn't that great as a puck mover, but he was probably one of the best in the league at holding the line and he also shot the puck a lot, which I also used to criticize but in hindsight it was mostly a good thing because though his shot was all over the place, it was hard and the PK had to respect it.

Laine is accountable for his shot and his share of the setup, which is 1/5 more or less, maybe a bit more since he is the pivotal shooter, but to blame him for most of the staticness of the PP is ridiculous - it's clear Laine is not telling everyone what to do, if he were, Pionk wouldn't be making granma passes to him.

If it were me, I'd have Laine out there for the full 2 min but work both PP units so that there's plenty of threats besides Laine. Basically make it so that Laine is a threat that's always out there, but so that he's not the only play for neither PP. The way I'm imagining it, it would max out his decoy value and also give him somewhat more looks than he gets as being "the play" for PP1.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Last shot At this thread guys I promise.

You guys are as happy as everyone’s wife or girlfriend standing in front of the full length mirror taking that last terminally frustrated look after putting the finishing touches on yourself before a big night on the town.

It doesn’t matter how good it looks to the world you’ll never let yourself like what you see.

To rap up my sensitive “hey boomer” point and weave in all elements (the PP, our loved ones, you posters) I will turn to a musical sage.

“you ain’t a beauty, but, hey, you’re alright”

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Last shot At this thread guys I promise.

You guys as happy as everyone’s wife or girlfriend standing in front of the full length mirror taking that last terminally frustrated look after putting the finishing touches on yourself before a big night on the town.

It doesn’t matter how good it looks to the world you’ll never let yourself like what you see.

To rap up my sensitive “hey boomer” point and weave in all elements (the PP, our loved ones, you posters) I will turn to a musical sage.

“you ain’t a beauty, but, hey, you’re alright”

:sarcasm:
:nod:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

We arent going to find another Buff anytime soon so we need to come up with something different.

I would like to see Conner moved to the Wheeler slot as having a big shot there will take some pressure off whoever we have on the point.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
i just find a bit hard to believe and wrap my head around that a coaching staff really needs to be constantly telling a 4 year NHL vet and supposed super-star to move his feet. there's video and audios of maurice and teammates yelling at him to move his feet over the years so i don't think it is something that is completely going uncalled.
I think that was one time though to be fair right?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
What about Ehlers at the point? He’s sneaky there. I’ve really only seen him and Heinola in his short stint on the Jets move away from Laine, wind up to shoot but instead wire it to Laine.

No one else really makes an effort to psych out the opposition that way. They most stand in one place and don’t really use any creativity.

Ehlers would be the fastest guy back in case it’s needed as well.

Reactions: bennylundholm

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
We arent going to find another Buff anytime soon so we need to come up with something different.

I would like to see Conner moved to the Wheeler slot as having a big shot there will take some pressure off whoever we have on the point.
You want Connor moved to the Wheeler spot? Is that what you meant? I assume not the slot. I’m not sure about Connor on the half wall, unless we find a better option to QB the PP from the point, which we don’t right now. Personally I won’t be surprised to see PoMo put Stastny down low instead of Connor.

I understand we’re not finding anyone to replace Buff anytime soon. I’m just addressing the references to the Tampa PP setup being so amazing, when in reality it has more to do with personnel than anything, particularly Hedman.

Reactions: Jets 31

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You want Connor moved to the Wheeler spot? Is that what you meant? I assume not the slot. I’m not sure about Connor on the half wall, unless we find a better option to QB the PP from the point, which we don’t right now. Personally I won’t be surprised to see PoMo put Stastny down low instead of Connor.

I understand we’re not finding anyone to replace Buff anytime soon. I’m just addressing the references to the Tampa PP setup being so amazing, when in reality it has more to do with personnel than anything, particularly Hedman.

I like Hedman but he isnt doing anything that amazing there other then his crazy post season. The pp essentially runs through Stamkos and Kucherov with Hedman deferring to either or shooting. I think Morrissey could fill a similar type role here adequately.

I agree, I expect Stastney takes Conner's spot and we run the same system. The good news is that likely makes our second unit a lot stronger.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I like Hedman but he isnt doing anything that amazing there other then his crazy post season. The pp essentially runs through Stamkos and Kucherov with Hedman deferring to either or shooting. I think Morrissey could fill a similar type role here adequately.

I agree, I expect Stastney takes Conner's spot and we run the same system. The good news is that likely makes our second unit a lot stronger.
The PP doesn’t need to run through him, It’s just his presence, he has a good ability to get shots and passes through lanes. It’s an illustration of what the Jets miss in Buff and how that added element really opens the other options. You don’t necessarily have to do much, you just have to make teams worry you can.

If the suggestion is the Jets need to change their PP setup to more effectively use what they have, I can get behind that. But there is no use modelling a system where they don’t have the weapons to properly execute it. There is nothing wrong with the current setup the Jets currently employ, other than they lack a very key piece to make it more of a threat.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The PP doesn’t need to run through him, It’s just his presence, he has a good ability to get shots and passes through lanes. It’s an illustration of what the Jets miss in Buff and how that added element really opens the other options. You don’t necessarily have to do much, you just have to make teams worry you can.

If the suggestion is the Jets need to change their PP setup to more effectively use what they have, I can get behind that. But there is no use modelling a system where they don’t have the weapons to properly execute it. There is nothing wrong with the current setup the Jets currently employ, other than they lack a very key piece to make it more of a threat.

Very good point and it applies to more than the PP -
We are constantly comparing our PP, PK to other teams who have better pcs - in the case of both, the shortfall is D yet we want to implement a new system with the same players and our problems are solved.
And then it ends up on the coaches lap for not executing the new plan with the players that are likely unable to pull if off -

Reactions: Ducky10

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
What about Ehlers at the point? He’s sneaky there. I’ve really only seen him and Heinola in his short stint on the Jets move away from Laine, wind up to shoot but instead wire it to Laine.

No one else really makes an effort to psych out the opposition that way. They most stand in one place and don’t really use any creativity.

Ehlers would be the fastest guy back in case it’s needed as well.
I'd say Ehlers would be our best bet to qb the PP from the point.
Easily the best puckhandler and skater on the team. AND, he does have a cannon of a shot.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014

The current setup needs Wheeler out of there as the main passer on the side wall. Way too predictable, no threat to shoot, way too stationary. Get Connor, Ehlers, or Stastny there as a left hand shot threat and passer.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The current setup needs Wheeler out of there as the main passer on the side wall. Way too predictable, no threat to shoot, way too stationary. Get Connor, Ehlers, or Stastny there as a left hand shot threat and passer.
KC in Wheeler's spot, Scheif in Laine's, Ehlers low beside the net, Wheeler in front of the net and you know who at the point. Bazinga!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I understand that having a player who has a big shot and can get it through is a major distraction for the defending teams.

That was really my point, since we don't have Buff we are going to have to create a few additional wrinkles or slightly change the scheme to one that isn't as dependent on a big shot from the point. What we saw last year was using exactly the same set up with an inferior point shot in Pionk and of course it didn't perform as well as a result.

I feel one way to get around that is having a shooting threat in the Wheeler spot (Ehelers or Conner) which should theoretically open Laine/Scheifele up more. When you couple that with a real good down low passer in Stastney I think there is some opportunity to add some motion and work the down low play a lot more this year.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
I understand that having a player who has a big shot and can get it through is a major distraction for the defending teams.

That was really my point, since we don't have Buff we are going to have to create a few additional wrinkles or slightly change the scheme to one that isn't as dependent on a big shot from the point. What we saw last year was using exactly the same set up with an inferior point shot in Pionk and of course it didn't perform as well as a result.

I feel one way to get around that is having a shooting threat in the Wheeler spot (Ehelers or Conner) which should theoretically open Laine/Scheifele up more. When you couple that with a real good down low passer in Stastney I think there is some opportunity to add some motion and work the down low play a lot more this year.
Ya, I don't get the "Wheeler is a great passer" narrative I keep hearing.
I think you put any number of players in his position on the PP and they are going to pile up the assists as the primary passer.
Also, extremely frustrating having Wheeler run the PP. No shot threat, almost no movement, easy to defend. Just cover Scheif and Laine.
For the life of me, I cannot figure out why they have Wheeler in that spot as opposed to a left hand shot threat like Connor or Ehlers.
Guess that's why I'm typing on here and not behind the bench.

Reactions: kellhunter

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ya, I don't get the "Wheeler is a great passer" narrative I keep hearing.
I think you put any number of players in his position on the PP and they are going to pile up the assists as the primary passer.
Also, extremely frustrating having Wheeler run the PP. No shot threat, almost no movement, easy to defend. Just cover Scheif and Laine.
For the life of me, I cannot figure out why they have Wheeler in that spot as opposed to a left hand shot threat like Connor or Ehlers.
Guess that's why I'm typing on here and not behind the bench.

Well he is the captain and highest paid player so he is a mainstay on it for the time being. He also performed well in that role 17 through end of 19 when he had an additional shot threat in Buff. Now I think we need to try something different in that role. I wouldnt even be opposed to trying Scheifele there and moving to slot to act as a high tip threat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad