TSN: Poulin: Expect Nylander to get somewhere around $6M-$7M range

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
42 of Draisatls points were connected to McDavid hardly fake news.

He hasnt proved he can center his own line...I believe he will this upcoming season but he hasnt yet.

It is not unusual that great players benefit from playing with each other. But what I am addressing here is, if is fake news that Draisaitl is not a good player on his own.

When he was recalled for the last time at the time of McDavid's injury at the end of the 2nd period against the Flyers.

Draisaaitl went on a run of 31 points in 37 games and 1 period without McDavid. That's a 68 point over 82 game prorate for a player playing Center and in his first full year.

Add this to his 16 points in 13 Playoff games centering his own line. It is fake news he is not a great player in his own right. Does he benefit from McDavid? Yes, he does. But it isn't a mutually exclusive partnership. McDavid is a great player, but it is worth noting he seemed to struggle more in the playoffs without Draisaaitl than Draisaitl struggled without McDavid.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
$6-$7 million if he stays in the 60 ish point range...

I don't see why he can't hit 70 this year. Dude is legit. 6 would be a huge underpayment. Especially with Pasta getting 6.5 ish in his 3rd year playing with Bergeron and Mr. Rat. And don't get me wrong I hate the Leafs.

Whatever line Nylander plays on this year and next will most likely have better offensive production than Pasta's line last season. Unless he signs an extension next summer the Leafs are gonna have to pay Nylander at least $7 mil, probably closer to $8 mil

It will be difficult to have more production than Pastrnak and Marchand last season. We know for certain the line itself wouldn't be better than Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak. Odd comparison.

One would think outside of other comparable over payments (Draisaitl) the Leafs' duo will be similar to Pastrnak and that is a great place to be for the Leafs.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It will be difficult to have more production than Pastrnak and Marchand last season. We know for certain the line itself wouldn't be better than Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak. Odd comparison.

One would think outside of other comparable over payments (Draisaitl) the Leafs' duo will be similar to Pastrnak and that is a great place to be for the Leafs.

If the Leafs are smart they lock up Nylander now, because after another season he's going to be worth Draisatl dollars, or even more.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
~7 for both Marner and Nylander sound about right right now.

I just can't see either guy getting 8M+. Scoring wingers generally don't make as much as top line centers unless you're the best player on the team, and that's not the case when you have Matthews.

And while i don't think any of them will agree to huge paycuts just to keep the gang together, i mean that has to be what they all want.. young guys who have become friends and just starting out their careers together. Im sure they're going to give some leeway to the team.

And as far as the market goes, Pastrnak just signed for 6.66M after a 70 pts season. Of course it was 6 yrs not 8, but regardless it'll come up in discussions im sure.

Im still confident the Leafs will be able to keep these guys with 25M, unless they take huge steps already in the next 1-2 years.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
If the Leafs are smart they lock up Nylander now, because after another season he's going to be worth Draisatl dollars, or even more.

True, because the cap will probably bounce 2-3m or more next year with the Canadian dollar bounceback....higher cap will = higher ask.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
If Draistail gets 8.5 - Matthews will get 10~

All we have to go on so far is Draisaitl scored 77 points last season, and Matthews scored 69, so Matthews current value isn't 10 per. If he has a 90 point season this season, he would be, but that hasn't happened yet. Conversely, if he has a 60 point season, he may only be worth 7 per. Either way, a season has to be played before any valuation can be made, seeing as he (and Marner) can't be re signed until July 2018.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
With Pastrnak getting 6.66 per, Nylanders value on a 6 year deal would now be 6 to 6.5 per. He could roll the dice and wait a year, but he'd be one injury away from losing 36 to 39 million $. His choice.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
All we have to go on so far is Draisaitl scored 77 points last season, and Matthews scored 69, so Matthews current value isn't 10 per. If he has a 90 point season this season, he would be, but that hasn't happened yet. Conversely, if he has a 60 point season, he may only be worth 7 per. Either way, a season has to be played before any valuation can be made, seeing as he (and Marner) can't be re signed until July 2018.

There is no chance in hell that Matthews is only signing for 7m, especially after the cap bounces a few mill more for next season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Except context matters. Matthews put up those numbers as a 19 year old, while Draisaitl was in his D+3 season. All signs point to Matthews surpassing Draisaitl, maybe even as soon as next season and st that pace that puts him in a 10ish million salary range (like with Eichel).

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
Except context matters. Matthews put up those numbers as a 19 year old, while Draisaitl was in his D+3 season. All signs point to Matthews surpassing Draisaitl, maybe even as soon as next season and st that pace that puts him in a 10ish million salary range (like with Eichel).

Yes, but he actually has to do it before he gets that kind of money. The only data we have on him at the moment is a 69 point season, so he isn't a $10 million player yet.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Yes, but he actually has to do it before he gets that kind of money. The only data we have on him at the moment is a 69 point season, so he isn't a $10 million player yet.

It's lucky he doesn't need a contract for the next 2 years. People are extrapolating off a 40g rookie season whereby in 2 years they think he will have put more than 69 points up.
Pretty reasonable assumption

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
This is the same Poulin who was part of the braintrust that knew the value of players in the Burke regime.
Nylander 6 to 7 m. Most Leaf fans over the age 8 would agree. Great insight Poulin

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

When we are are arguing how awesome Matthews is, he is a 40 goal scorer. When we are talking about his contract, he only scored 69 points.

When we are arguing about how awesome Nylander is, he is going to be a 1B center. When we are talking about his contract, his best comparison is a winger, because he is a winger.

Cracks me up.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
When we are are arguing how awesome Matthews is, he is a 40 goal scorer. When we are talking about his contract, he only scored 69 points.

When we are arguing about how awesome Nylander is, he is going to be a 1B center. When we are talking about his contract, his best comparison is a winger, because he is a winger.

Cracks me up.

We can call Matthews a 40 goal scorer and use Stamkos and Kucherov's contracts as comparables if you'd prefer.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
6.5-7 on a 6-8 year deal for Nylander and Marner is fair and would put the Leafs in great shape moving forward. Matthews 10x10 or something along those lines. They'll still have plenty of room when guys like JVR, Bozak, buyouts, etc. are off the books in the next 1-2 years.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
With Pastrnak getting 6.66 per, Nylanders value on a 6 year deal would now be 6 to 6.5 per. He could roll the dice and wait a year, but he'd be one injury away from losing 36 to 39 million $. His choice.

NHL is a lot different than say the NFL when it comes to injuries. Outside of cowen, I can't recall a young player getting hurt to the point that it crippled their career. If you have a higher offensive ceiling, best to show that before you sign. IMO, the player who lost out the most by signing long term out of elc was jossi. $4 million per year over 7 years when he's a top 10 dman after the 1st year of his new deal. If he opted for a bridge for $2 million per over 2 years then he would likely get $6.5 to $7 million per right now. That would be a good $10 million roughly that he gave up. Risk vs reward. So, if Nylander has more to give offensively than what the leafs offer is valued at, he should play out his ELC.

It takes two sides to come to a deal. So, unless the leafs come in at a number that makes sense for Nylander, he's better off playing out his ELC.

What that number is is up to them to figure out.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I know as a Jets fan I'm not supposed to hope the Leafs catch a break or anything like that, but I'd really love to see these guys take a bit less than they could so that the Leafs can become a powerhouse for a good long while. I don't know, I love watching them play together, even if they're not on my team. Obviously I'm hoping for the same thing with my Jets. Going to be so much fun watching all these stars!

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

Well Matthews played with two rookies Nylander and Hyman. Hyman!!! Draisaitl had the luxury of lots of wing time with McDavid.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Something like 6x 5.65 with some signing bonuses may be the team friendly move if he wants to win.

Let's say he wants to hit UFA earlier, then maybe a 5 year deal, with only one UFA year under contract. That would be something that helps the team.

Let's see if Lou and Shanny can build that with Babs.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
The maple leafs have a chance to set up a future dynasty if they can't get the big 3 decent contracts. If I'm nylander/marner I sign a 5ish million contract for 6 years so they can all stay on the same team. Matthews signs 6-7 million 6 years.

Keep the gang together

Dynasty means multiple cups in a short period of time....try winning one first.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
It is not unusual that great players benefit from playing with each other. But what I am addressing here is, if is fake news that Draisaitl is not a good player on his own.

When he was recalled for the last time at the time of McDavid's injury at the end of the 2nd period against the Flyers.

Draisaaitl went on a run of 31 points in 37 games and 1 period without McDavid. That's a 68 point over 82 game prorate for a player playing Center and in his first full year.

Add this to his 16 points in 13 Playoff games centering his own line. It is fake news he is not a great player in his own right. Does he benefit from McDavid? Yes, he does. But it isn't a mutually exclusive partnership. McDavid is a great player, but it is worth noting he seemed to struggle more in the playoffs without Draisaaitl than Draisaitl struggled without McDavid.

Someone hit the small sample size song.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Dynasty means multiple cups in a short period of time....try winning one first.

He said they have a chance and he's not wrong. The Leafs have a young core that's as good as any and they'll be competitive this season and contenders the following year and perhaps the next decade. Once the Pens slow down it really is wide open.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad