TSN: Poulin: Expect Nylander to get somewhere around $6M-$7M range

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Or maybe he waits after the season to sign. He's a D+4 this upcoming season. Maybe his thinking is he can up his value even more. If I were him, if the Leafs offered 6.5 range x 6. Just slightly less than Pastrnak. You got to take the bird in the hand rather than the what if jackpot banking on a career year or possible regression.

Enthusiast17

Sep 13, 2017
I’d easily give him 7milx8 if he progresses to a 70 point player this season and begins his transition over to center.

Injuries or a trade could open up a spot for him at center, and I’d like to see him there for at least a dozen games this season.

If he wants a contract now I’d gladly throw him 6milx8 ;)

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Or maybe he waits after the season to sign. He's a D+4 this upcoming season. Maybe his thinking is he can up his value even more. If I were him, if the Leafs offered 6.5 range x 6. Just slightly less than Pastrnak. You got to take the bird in the hand rather than the what if jackpot banking on a career year or possible regression.

He basically has to either bet on himself or take the security. I am hoping he signs now but I wouldn't be shocked to see Nylander be the kind of player to bet on himself having the kind of year to really cash in and get paid next summer. Another factor is he might be wanting to wait for Marner and Matthews deals to be up as well so he doesn't end up the one being paid significantly less in the end.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Sign the kid for 8x6.75 before the season starts. I suspect he is gonna have a monster season after the finish he had and the workd championships. He has that swagger and after sliding up and down the line-up in the middle of the season i think he will take the next step and become a number 2C after this year after Bozak is gone and Kadri moves down.

If he has a monster year we are looking at mid 7 to maybe 8+ to sign him for 8 years.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
one slight problem with that comparison for Leon D--

21 year old Leon D gets 77 pts
21 year old Voracek got 46 pts

a 31 swing in pts

that would suggest that that is not the comparison

19 year old Matthews had 69 points.

You see where I'm going with this, I hope.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
"much better" goal scorer, yes, "much better" player, no !

and Nylander getting between $6 and $7 mil/per is fair. he's worth it.

Matthews is a much better player than Draisaitl.
look at where they both were at this point of their careers.
Oilers fans would have been happy if Drai turned into a 50-60pt 2C after the miserable year he had as a rookie. Matthews just put up 40 ...

also Nylander isnt sniffing 7. not after Pastrnak just got 6.67 after 34g/70pts in 75 games. The bruins just guarnateed the leafs lock Nylander up in the 6-6.75 range long term

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Didn't Draisaitl play Center when McDavid was out, and he had 22 points in 21 games I recall when he was recalled from the AHL for the last time? He's a Center all right. Proved it then, proved it in the WHL, and proved it in the playoffs. The comparing of Draisaitl's contract to recent winger signings is to borrow a phrase. Fake news.

30 pts in 37 games during McDavid's absence.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
He basically has to either bet on himself or take the security. I am hoping he signs now but I wouldn't be shocked to see Nylander be the kind of player to bet on himself having the kind of year to really cash in and get paid next summer. Another factor is he might be wanting to wait for Marner and Matthews deals to be up as well so he doesn't end up the one being paid significantly less in the end.

For him to wait on their deals to get paid he would have to sign a one year deal since he has just one year left and the other two have 2 years.

I expect him to wait the year and try to get the best long term deal he can.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Pastranak deal was great for the Leafs.

Dont think Nylander or Marner will get much more than he got.

How many ufa years did the Pasta deal cover?

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Pastranak deal was great for the Leafs.

Dont think Nylander or Marner will get much more than he got.

How many ufa years did the Pasta deal cover?

eh.. that's debateable. Pastrnak did this in his third NHL season. Nylander has another year to prove himself and Marner another two. If they improve there is a larger sample size of 'proven' which sort of gets rid of the 'risk' argument that the Leafs could use when trying to not have to pay 8m+.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I think Nylander is great. I hope he gets 7 million a year, especially if he gets 70+ points.

I think he will be better than Pastrnak, or maybe even.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Thank god the Bruins are better at negotiating than Chiarelli and the Oilers. Now we can sign Nylander to a 7M contract over 8 years and have a comparable for Marner as well.

Having Matthews @ ~10M, Marner and Nylander at ~7M would be an incredible feat.

With old man Marleau getting 6.25m per for three years...lol....you should be more worried about Lou's negotiating skills.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
For him to wait on their deals to get paid he would have to sign a one year deal since he has just one year left and the other two have 2 years.

I expect him to wait the year and try to get the best long term deal he can.

I mean for him to sign. Matthews and Marner can both sign there deals next summer they would just kick in the season after where as Nylanders would start next season.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
The maple leafs have a chance to set up a future dynasty if they can't get the big 3 decent contracts. If I'm nylander/marner I sign a 5ish million contract for 6 years so they can all stay on the same team. Matthews signs 6-7 million 6 years.

Keep the gang together

If Draistail gets 8.5 - Matthews will get 10~

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
The maple leafs have a chance to set up a future dynasty if they can't get the big 3 decent contracts. If I'm nylander/marner I sign a 5ish million contract for 6 years so they can all stay on the same team. Matthews signs 6-7 million 6 years.

Keep the gang together

What makes you think Matthews would sign so cheaply? If he signed that he'd be losing 20-30 million in value. He's getting 8/72m minimum likely way more than that. He's never signing a 6/40-45m!

Nylander should bet on himself and then use LD's contract to get big bucks. If his numbers drop, he can sign a bridge deal for 2/10m

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Keep the gang together

That is not happening.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
$6-$7 million if he stays in the 60 ish point range...

I don't see why he can't hit 70 this year. Dude is legit. 6 would be a huge underpayment. Especially with Pasta getting 6.5 ish in his 3rd year playing with Bergeron and Mr. Rat. And don't get me wrong I hate the Leafs.

Whatever line Nylander plays on this year and next will most likely have better offensive production than Pasta's line last season. Unless he signs an extension next summer the Leafs are gonna have to pay Nylander at least $7 mil, probably closer to $8 mil

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Matthews is a much better player than Draisaitl.

i like Matthews i really do so don't take this the wrong way but saying Matthews is a much better player right now than Leon is just foolish! but a much better goal scorer yes. and if you are comparing what they both did as 18/19 year olds, that is irrelevant if you are comparing what they both did last season, which is how good they are right now.

though i get the anticipation for what Matthews could do this coming season based on what he did last year as a rookie, Leon is being constantly sold short because he moved to the wing for part of the season and was the only one out of him and Eberle, Lucic and Hall that had very good success with McDavid on the wing and was every bit as responsible for getting McDavid 100 points as McDavid was getting Leon 77. but if Matthews gets 100 plus points this season and leaves Leon behind in the points battle this coming year then i guess he'd really be the better player.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Didn't Draisaitl play Center when McDavid was out, and he had 22 points in 21 games I recall when he was recalled from the AHL for the last time? He's a Center all right. Proved it then, proved it in the WHL, and proved it in the playoffs. The comparing of Draisaitl's contract to recent winger signings is to borrow a phrase. Fake news.

42 of Draisatls points were connected to McDavid hardly fake news.

He hasnt proved he can center his own line...I believe he will this upcoming season but he hasnt yet.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
If you look at the comparables, Nylander could be a steal at $7 million or under.

For now, I think this team sees him as a winger but as centre for the future. Play him at winger all year, pay him as a winger then move him to centre.

Brilliant!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad