Potential UFA Signings

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Legwand seemed like a good contract at the time. Everyone knew how brutal Phillips contract was though

At the time Legwand was signed, I did not have an opinion on him as I was not familiar with him. However, it did not take many games to see that he was very slow and not worth $3m per year average with $3.5 M due in the second season. I think the GM and the scouts screwed up badly with him. I would much rather give younger players a chance to play and develop than watch him play. I did not think his addition to the team was going to make a big difference anyway as the team was not looking like a contender when he was signed and many were predicting the Senators to be a bubble team, including me. The team is still very much a bubble team and one young forward lost a year of experience.

BigBush*

At the time Legwand was signed, I did not have an opinion on him as I was not familiar with him. However, it did not take many games to see that he was very slow and not worth $3m per year average with $3.5 M due in the second season. I think the GM and the scouts screwed up badly with him. I would much rather give younger players a chance to play and develop than watch him play. I did not think his addition to the team was going to make a big difference anyway as the team was not looking like a contender when he was signed and many were predicting the Senators to be a bubble team, including me. The team is still very much a bubble team and one young forward lost a year of experience.

Ya, it didn't turn out great, but it didn't seem like there was any risk in the signing.

Unless of course his salary really effects our budget. I kind of hope hes traded for a 5th or something this summer

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ya, it didn't turn out great, but it didn't seem like there was any risk in the signing.

Unless of course his salary really effects our budget. I kind of hope hes traded for a 5th or something this summer

$3.5m of the budget is for Legwand next season. I think the team could make better use of it. I hope he is traded too; however, I doubt any team would take him. Getting a fifth round pick would be icing on the cake, considering his removal would add $3.5m to the budget. :)

If GM Murray was serious saying the game has become a young man's game, (which I strongly agree with), then I hope he follows through and cleans out the old slow non-performers by trading them for whatever he can get, which might make some of them think "retirement" rather than being traded away.

I want to see team speed and quickness improved. That means at least one and preferably two big slow D-men have to go (Phillips for sure and also Gryba). I would retain Cowen and Wiercioch for now, one of them could also go if the team could obtain a decent second pair D-man who is good defensively and can skate quickly to beat opposing forwards to the puck or at least get there at the same time.

BigBush*

I could see some teams being interested in Legwand for a late pick.

He had an underwhelming season, but had 50 points the year before.

He can play in the bottom 6 on the PK and PP.

Horcoff was traded for a late pick so its not unreasonable to think Legwand can be traded to. Fingers crossed

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Yeah, Is don't see Legwand being all that tough to move at this point. The issue will be the $10ish million going to Greening, Phillips, Neil and Smith.

BigBush*

Yeah, Is don't see Legwand being all that tough to move at this point. The issue will be the $10ish million going to Greening, Phillips, Neil and Smith.

Greening will have to be bought out. Niel and Phillips will retire this year as life long Sens. Smith will he the 4th line center/13th forward.

The good news is these guys shouldn't have an impact on the budget going forward. The bad news is it'll probably prevent us from signing anyone this year

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Centers are always in demand in the offseason, and considering this year's awful depth in the crop of UFA centers, I don't see the team really having any issues finding new homes for either Legwand or Smith if they decide they want to move them.

hornetman

Apr 15, 2014
We had just lost Alfoe. Everything has to viewed in context. One year was probably OK. Two years too much but Phillips was holding out for two and given the state of the team BM probably felt losing him over 2.5 was not worth the disruption.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
We had just lost Alfoe. Everything has to viewed in context. One year was probably OK. Two years too much but Phillips was holding out for two and given the state of the team BM probably felt losing him over 2.5 was not worth the disruption.

Seriously. I got over losing Fisher, Alfie, and Spezza. I love Phillips and Neil but I'll get over them leaving too, time to move on and say good bye to the 07 team for good.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Seriously. I got over losing Fisher, Alfie, and Spezza. I love Phillips and Neil but I'll get over them leaving too, time to move on and say good bye to the 07 team for good.

It would be nice though if we could have at least one long term player spend their career here.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I could see some teams being interested in Legwand for a late pick.

He had an underwhelming season, but had 50 points the year before.

He can play in the bottom 6 on the PK and PP.

Horcoff was traded for a late pick so its not unreasonable to think Legwand can be traded to. Fingers crossed

Toes too!

hornetman

Apr 15, 2014

I agree. It is time to move on. Just putting some context to his last contract. I am fine with Neil and others being traded. This team is clearly in the hands of the younger players. Might have to be patient with the changes this year but the following year we will see all the older players gone.

Ttracer*

Legwand seemed like a good contract at the time. Everyone knew how brutal Phillips contract was though

Phillips has done more for Ottawa than any current player on the roster. He has been injured, and played his butt off the 1st half. We need Phillips' leadership skills, and we need him to play at 100% for atleast half of next season. Our team shrinks considerably if we lose Chris, you can't trust Wier or all the other rookie D men

Legwand led the team in PP goals, our PP is abysmal but atleast Legwand makes the most of it unlike everyone else

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
It would be nice though if we could have at least one long term player spend their career here.

Not at the price of them playing over someone who is better than them though. I'd love it if Phillips would call it quits and move into coaching or management.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I have had that feeling too on teams that I was a fan of. Got very disappointed in some team management for trading top players away when they got older. I have changed over the years and now feel that sentiment is not a good reason to retain a player. Performance by the individual is more important to me now. I want to see a fast, entertaining team and not one with old players hanging on for another year or two before retiring. I believe hockey is a young man's game and there are few players who can still play at a high level after about age 35. Some can, but they are rare. Of course, the value depends on the wage paid and must consider the team situation (e.g., whether it is a contender versus pretender, versus rebuilder). I have a bias as I would like to see three fast offensive forward lines, and maybe four, rather than defensive oriented players filling up lines 3 and 4.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Not at the price of them playing over someone who is better than them though. I'd love it if Phillips would call it quits and move into coaching or management.

I agree that that would be ideal. Just want to have at least one for the Sens, should have been Alfie.

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Put up an offer for Seabrook.

We almost certainly won't get him but why not try? If the price tag starts to get absurd, back off.

It's strange - Murray seems to think top 6 forward is what we need the most... I really think our top priority should be a #3/4 defenseman.

We'll see. No reason both can't be addressed.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Put up an offer for Seabrook.

We almost certainly won't get him but why not try? If the price tag starts to get absurd, back off.

It's strange - Murray seems to think top 6 forward is what we need the most... I really think our top priority should be a #3/4 defenseman.

We'll see. No reason both can't be addressed.

I think the Senators need a top 3, first line forward, preferably a highly skilled centre. After that, I think the D needs improvement, faster skaters who can handle the puck and set up plays to get the puck out of the D-zone. The current D corp has four slow D-men (Gryba, Phillips, Cowen and Wiercioch) which allows the opposition forwards to get to the puck first and cause the slow D to play a non-aggressive style of play, leading to too many shots. A team could have one or two of those, but Four is just too much.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Oduya would be a great pick up.

Yes, Oduya would be a big improvement. BUT, who would take Phillips and Gryba and their salaries to make budget/cap room for him? So I don't think the Senators will get him if he becomes available.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
never have a heard more discussion about a bottom pairing defenseman than Phillips this past season

you guys make it sound like he has a redden type contract

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'd love to see

Methot-Karlsson
Oduya-Ceci
Weircoich-Cowen
Borowiecki

I know Cowen is on the wrong side, but the wingspan between these two guys would be very damn impressive. They could be great together if given the chance to grow on the 3rd pairing.

I'd hate giving up on Cowen or Weircoich (or trading for penuts) while Gryba, Phillips, or Borowiecki were still on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad