Potential UFA Signings

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Was thinking the other day about Vermette coming back as our 3rd line centre.

We know the Top 6 are some form of
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan

Could look like
Prince - Vermette - Michalek; Puempel - Pageau - Lazar

Either could be the 3rd or 4th line on any given night, depending on the need. Pretty good persistence top to bottom.

Addresses Murray Top 6 (9) infusion in a way, as Vermette could play 2C if he was needed. He still has some wheels and vision. He has positive history here in Ottawa.

Also like the idea of steady Oduya as a UFA D. Not too expensive or flashy, and a good mentor/insurance for Ceci

The Jangle Meister*

if we trade a d-man in a package for a forward I think Oduya is a likely pickup. He wont be too expensive.

If we move a large haul of forwards for an elite player, Williams Glencross and Stewart are potential suitors. Depends on what we move and what spots open up.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
It'll be a challenge just to get Zibanejad, Stone, Pageau, Chiasson and Hoffman signed. As of right now we have about 60 million on the cap. If the PA want to use a split escalator (2.5%) then the cap will come in at about 69 million - and we already know we aren't a cap team, so knock a few million off that number for our ceiling. How's it going to get done?

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
I've grown to expect underwhelming signings, if any, at this point.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
If we do make any signings for the NHL team, I expect it to be more of what we've seen the past two years.

A couple of days in, we try and sign a lower risk two way guy that we know almost exactly what we're getting for a short term two year contract.

Clarke MacArthur: Signed July 5th, 2013 for two years at $3,250,000.
David Legwand: Signed July 4th, 2014 for two years at $3,000,000.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
He won't hit UFA, I don't think. Chicago will re-sign him after the playoffs are over, before July 1st.

Chicago does have cap issues so who knows - depends if he wants top dollar or not. But if he does want top dollar then he's probably not coming here either.

It'll be a challenge just to get Zibanejad, Stone, Pageau, Chiasson and Hoffman signed. As of right now we have about 60 million on the cap. If the PA want to use a split escalator (2.5%) then the cap will come in at about 69 million - and we already know we aren't a cap team, so knock a few million off that number for our ceiling. How's it going to get done?

I thought it was confirmed that the PA didn't do that thing and the cap is $71.

Agreed we have a challenge with our FAs though.
Thank god we have PLNGS (Phillips/Legwand/Neil/Greening/Smith) locked up for a cool $12.25MM next year. That's a solid group.

I've grown to expect underwhelming signings, if any, at this point.

Me too - its part of our heritage as Sens fans. You learn to just enjoy the excitement of free agent frenzy and then have conversations with your friends like "wow, why the hell does David Legwand want to play here?"

bornNraised Sens

Apr 8, 2014
I wouldn't mind if we overpaid a little for a short term (2-3 years) deal for a top 4 UFA d man. Help shelter and bring along Ceci and Wiercioch into their roles if possible.

Would only work if we were able to drop some of the dead weight onto other teams which would be hard to say the least.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Thank god we have PLNGS (Phillips/Legwand/Neil/Greening/Smith) locked up for a cool $12.25MM next year. That's a solid group.

Don't forget Cowen and his $3.7M in actual salary!

Nearly $16M in salary tied up in those players on a team that's budget is a decent amount below the cap...I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
He won't hit UFA, I don't think. Chicago will re-sign him after the playoffs are over, before July 1st.

They're pretty tight right now, they need to let guys walk.

Funny though as only 3 weeks ago I proposed a trade with oduya's rights and everyone scoffed at me in the trade thread xD

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I thought it was confirmed that the PA didn't do that thing and the cap is $71.

Nothing's been decided yet. Without any escalator the cap would actually decrease next season to about 68.2 - I think that's the least likely scenario. Right now the partial escalator seems like a compromise both sides can live with.

Low cap ceiling makes it very difficult to move bad contracts. Luckily we spend smart and don't have any contracts we'd like to dump.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
They're pretty tight right now, they need to let guys walk.

Funny though as only 3 weeks ago I proposed a trade with oduya's rights and everyone scoffed at me in the trade thread xD

Oduya is not what the Sens need. He's going to turn 34 before next season starts, and while he's having a good playoffs let's not forget he was pretty bad during the regular season. And that was on a Chicago team that's much better than the Sens are right now.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
We complain about bad contracts but how do we fare against other teams in the league as far as bad contracts go? I'm too lazy to research it.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013

Why did you just do that? Use acronyms and then state the acronyms meaning, what was the point of using the acronym in the first place? Are you trying to create or start something? Just generally curious.

Oil For The Boys

Jan 7, 2013
If we do make any signings for the NHL team, I expect it to be more of what we've seen the past two years.

A couple of days in, we try and sign a lower risk two way guy that we know almost exactly what we're getting for a short term two year contract.

Clarke MacArthur: Signed July 5th, 2013 for two years at $3,250,000.
David Legwand: Signed July 4th, 2014 for two years at $3,000,000.

Because of the lockout, July 5th was the first day to sign free agents in 2013. I remember MacArthur was one of the first people signed.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
It depends on who we ship out with the goalie and who comes back our way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad