Potential TOR vs FLA playoff matchup: Who do you take?

Who wins?

• TOR in 4

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • TOR in 5

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • TOR in 6

Votes: 54 15.0%
  • TOR in 7

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • FLA in 4

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • FLA in 5

Votes: 64 17.8%
  • FLA in 6

Votes: 141 39.2%
  • FLA in 7

Votes: 50 13.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Who is tougher? Reaves? Yes please, play Reaves more in the playoffs!

The core players will still shrivel, because they will be the ones on the ice taking the hits, and wont respond. You think there is anyone on that Leafs team that actually intimidates the opposition, phyisically?

I don't think anyone really intimidates in the modern NHL but yeah Reaves, Edmundson, Benoit, McCabe are very physical guys. Reaves has actually looked solid in the 2nd half and I say that as someone that hated the signing so much.

Reactions: The90 and authentic

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
The best part about it? We will get to see!

There won’t be any ambiguity. I think the leafs improved and are much better than the panthers in everything except in goal.

You don’t.

Let’s start the games and find out!

No I dont. The Panthers went on relying on Bob last year, to being a top 2 defensive team this year, while still having Bob in net. These last couple of weeks dealing with injuries doesnt change that.

What hasnt changed though since entering the league, is how soft the Leafs core is, and how the hard checking, physical, close quarter playoff hockey takes a toll on them. They have yet to step up and make the plays that are required, but now they all of a sudden will, because of a couple of role players?

I don't think anyone really intimidates in the modern NHL but yeah Reaves, Edmundson, Benoit, McCabe are very physical guys. Reaves has actually looked solid in the 2nd half and I say that as someone that hated the signing so much.

No doubt they are a more physical team, but your trading level of play for their physicality, which is not a great recipe when the Leafs are as questionable as they are from the back end to the goalie.

Nobody can guarantee shit because we have no access to the players, but I doubt the Panthers are intimidated by anyone, let alone them.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
No I dont. The Panthers went on relying on Bob last year, to being a top 2 defensive team this year, while still having Bob in net. These last couple of weeks dealing with injuries doesnt change that.

What hasnt changed though since entering the league, is how soft the Leafs core is, and how the hard checking, physical, close quarter playoff hockey takes a toll on them. They have yet to step up and make the plays that are required, but now they all of a sudden will, because of a couple of role players?

No doubt they are a more physical team, but your trading level of play for their physicality, which is not a great recipe when the Leafs are as questionable as they are from the back end to the goalie.

Nobody can guarantee shit because we have no access to the players, but I doubt the Panthers are intimidated by anyone, let alone them.

No one is debating how soft the leafs big 4 are, and have been and that hasn’t changed.

What this team has needed was role players

This isn’t grandma Dubas’s leafs this year. And that’s all we’ve gotten to see in the playoffs.

This isn’t the kerfoot, mikehyev, engvall and Holl role players anymore

I think the leafs talent will crack bobrovsky open like and egg this year, and Florida won’t know what to do when they can’t bully the core into submission, because they’ll be too focussed on protecting themselves and trying to keep the puck out of the net to realize that they aren’t bullying this team and when the big 4 aren’t scared, that’s when they’re scary

I foresee a couple 7 goal nights for the leafs, and at least two Matthews hat tricks and they close it out in 5

• Haha
Reactions: pb1300

The90

Feb 27, 2017
4-1 is 4-1. I could care less how it works out for ya.

Yeah, Bob stood on his head, but that is what goalies are supposed to do in the playoffs. Our goalie made the saves when he had to, and yours didnt. Oh well, boo hoo. The Leafs losing the series was more than just Bob though.

The Leafs core 4 SUCKS in the playoffs. They are soft as butter, and do not do what it takes it win. I have yet to see Marner or Matthews or Nylander do anything that resembles what the Panthers top players did, in order to win. You take the body to them, and they shrivel in the corner. Your captain was getting pummelled, and they just watched it happen.

The Leafs are not going to win shit until they learn to play playoff hockey.
Until they learn to get carried by their goalie. Got it.

By the way, floridas top players were mostly invisible last year lol.

And aside from Tk and Bennett, (who’s really a glorified role player), are soft as shit too. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

• Haha
Reactions: FinlandPanther

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Until they learn to get carried by their goalie. Got it.

By the way, floridas top players were mostly invisible last year lol.

And aside from Tk and Bennett, (who’s really a glorified role player), are soft as shit too. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

And tkachump is easily rattled and intimidated. The leafs didn’t have the type of players that throw tkachump off his game, kerfoot and engvall just can’t do that

Between Domi, bertuzzi, Reaves, edmundson, etc tkachump is going to get bullied to f*** and thrown totally off his game

I foresee many little mini tantrums from that grown man baby in this series

I hope they catch reaves on a hot mic chirping bennet with a chin up challenge between periods

Last edited by a moderator:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The core is pretty soft, but I think the team toughness is better than it’s been in over a decade.

I don’t think the core will shrink this year like they have in the past, because they have a gaggle of players tougher than the panthers this time.

The core will play much taller this year, and I can see Florida becoming scared and frustrated when they’re being beaten on the ice and in the alley

It’ll take a couple games for Florida to realize they don’t want that smoke
I’ve watched the Leafs core become scared and shrink for years now. And every year the Leaf fans say this year will be different. Sorry not buying it unless and until they actually show some backbone.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Toronto is the more skilled team but I'm not sure who in their right mind would bet ON the Leafs. I think they can beat the Panthers, but I have a hard time seeing Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Tavares being consistent enough over 7 games to get it done. Only way I think it happens is if Bobrovsky is a no-show.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
wasnt going back on anything. literarlly what you bolded was the point in my first post. I said the teams are even everywhere but goaltending. dont know how you think thats walking something back. I stand by what I said and followed up with a reply that continued to say the leafs goaltending is a dumpster fire. Samsonov has proven time and time again what he is. If you want to believe a string of 21 games has changed that, your entitled to your opinion. Ived watched him play as much or the same as leafs fans given where he started his career. yes players develop and get better but as most leafs fans would agree and made a 1000 threads about it earlier in the year he showed exactly what he is, unreliable. hopefully for leafs fans Im wrong but I wouldnt bet on Sammy suddenly becoming a good goalie because of 21 games but we will know in a month or so.
27 still pretty young for a goalie
-age of 1st markstrom, Bishop, Smith season as starter
- guy like kuemper, tim thomas, was a no name
-ulmark we didnt know if he was a #1 or food back up
- Tomas vokoun, Mikka Kiprusoff was nothing else than a back up
-was only second yea as starter for pekka Rinne, corey crawford

a lot of great goalie of 2000+

before 30 bobrovsky in playoff in 24 games
sv % at 0.891 and 3.49 gaa in carreer

thing can change pretty quickly. the fact he taking more time to develop doesn't mean he's not able to become sn elite goaltender and raising his game in playoff

Reactions: The90

The90

Feb 27, 2017
27 still pretty young for a goalie
-age of 1st markstrom, Bishop, Smith season as starter
- guy like kuemper, tim thomas, was a no name
-ulmark we didnt know if he was a #1 or food back up
- Tomas vokoun, Mikka Kiprusoff was nothing else than a back up
-was only second yea as starter for pekka Rinne, corey crawford

a lot of great goalie of 2000+

before 30 bobrovsky in playoff in 24 games
sv % at 0.891 and 3.49 gaa in carreer

thing can change pretty quickly. the fact he taking more time to develop doesn't mean he's not able to become sn elite goaltender and raising his game in playoff
Truth hurts for some

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Toss up. I think revenge factor plays a huge part here and say the Leafs in 6.

If Bobrovsky goes ballistic than Florida in 6 or 7

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Bennet is probably the biggest p***y in the entire lesgue

And tkachump is easily rattled and intimidated. The leafs didn’t have the type of players that throw tkachump off his game, kerfoot and engvall just can’t do that

Between Domi, bertuzzi, Reaves, edmundson, etc tkachump is going to get bullied to f*** and thrown totally off his game

I foresee many little mini tantrums from that grown man baby in this series

I hope they catch reaves on a hot mic chirping bennet with a chin up challenge between periods

Bennett is currently listed as 6'1, 195 pounds. Let's see his opponents over the past few years..

Hampus Lindholm. 6'4, 224 lbs
Mikhail Sergachev. 6'3, 220 lbs
Juhjar Khaira. 6'4, 214 lbs
Zach Sanford. 6'4, 206 lbs
Darnell Nurse. 6'4, 215 lbs
Ian Cole. 6'1, 225 lbs.
Ryan Johansen. 6'3, 218 lbs
Jacob Trouba. 6'3, 209 lbs
Josh Manson. 6'3, 218 lbs
Gavin Bayreuther. 6'2, 210 lbs.
Barclay Goodrow. 6'2, 210 lbs

Opponents shorter or lighter than him past few years

Marcus Peterson. 6'3, 177 lbs
Max Domi. 5'10, 208 lbs
Namestnikov. 6'0, 181 lbs
Ryan Suter. 6'1, 200 lbs

So more often than not he's fought players taller and heavier than him, and Namestnikov is the only opponent he's had that was both shorter and lighter than him. Doesn't scream "biggest puss in the league" to me.

Reactions: Idiot Stick

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I’ve watched the Leafs core become scared and shrink for years now. And every year the Leaf fans say this year will be different. Sorry not buying it unless and until they actually show some backbone.

Strap up

Bennett is currently listed as 6'1, 195 pounds. Let's see his opponents over the past few years..

Hampus Lindholm. 6'4, 224 lbs
Mikhail Sergachev. 6'3, 220 lbs
Juhjar Khaira. 6'4, 214 lbs
Zach Sanford. 6'4, 206 lbs
Darnell Nurse. 6'4, 215 lbs
Ian Cole. 6'1, 225 lbs.
Ryan Johansen. 6'3, 218 lbs
Jacob Trouba. 6'3, 209 lbs
Josh Manson. 6'3, 218 lbs
Gavin Bayreuther. 6'2, 210 lbs.
Barclay Goodrow. 6'2, 210 lbs

Opponents shorter or lighter than him past few years

Marcus Peterson. 6'3, 177 lbs
Max Domi. 5'10, 208 lbs
Namestnikov. 6'0, 181 lbs
Ryan Suter. 6'1, 200 lbs

So more often than not he's fought players taller and heavier than him, and Namestnikov is the only opponent he's had that was both shorter and lighter than him. Doesn't scream "biggest puss in the league" to me.

You guys are clowns, just look at a stat page and think that means anything.

Watch the guy, he’s a p***y

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Strap up

You guys are clowns, just look at a stat page and think that means anything.

Watch the guy, he’s a p***y

You’re the clown here. Guy demolishes Tavares during the playoffs, and your soft ass players just watch. You think Bertuzzi, Domi, and Reaves are going to make a difference, when your top players are scared, playoff duds? Good luck with that.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Taking Toronto in 6, Panthers have been very cold the last 3 weeks and it's not like they had nothing to play for - they were in contention for the President's Trophy.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
0 chance Florida is putting in even 50% effort in the past few weeks. They're just trying to make it to the start of the playoffs with no injuries and feeling healthy.
They are not playing at less than 50% effort in the regular season (I mean, that's just absurd, much less that it's 0 chance that they are not doing that, or they're doing that on purpose). They just lost their focus when they picked up those players at the deadline. And it will take a lot of work to get it back.
They relaxed, and figured "now we're stacked, and we don't have to play hard, or take care of all of those details we worked to do", subconsciously.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
They are not playing at less than 50% effort in the regular season (I mean, that's just absurd, much less that it's 0 chance that they are not doing that, or they're doing that on purpose). They just lost their focus when they picked up those players at the deadline. And it will take a lot of work to get it back.
They relaxed, and figured "now we're stacked, and we don't have to play hard, or take care of all of those details we worked to do", subconsciously.
I wouldn't really worry too much. They will be ready to play come game 1 of the playoffs. They won a presidents trophy before and got knocked out in the 2nd round. Then last year they knocked out the president's trophy winning team in the 1st round. These guys know the regular season doesn't matter once the puck drops in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad