Potential TOR vs FLA playoff matchup: Who do you take?

Who wins?

• TOR in 4

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • TOR in 5

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • TOR in 6

Votes: 54 15.0%
  • TOR in 7

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • FLA in 4

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • FLA in 5

Votes: 64 17.8%
  • FLA in 6

Votes: 141 39.2%
  • FLA in 7

Votes: 50 13.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I think this will be pretty close but I'll go with my Panthers. I think we're just a bit more balanced of a team.

Also, I think the goaltending tandem is largely in our favour. Bobrovsky is in the running for being a Vezina nominee, and Stolarz has statistically been the best backup goalie in the league.

That being said. Maple leafs will always be a scary team because of their offense, especially if it ends up carrying over in the playoffs. Everyone jokes about the core fours postseason showings, but all it takes is one year like it did for Tkachuk who was rightfully considered a poor playoff performer before last year.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Let’s not pretend like it wasn’t 80% Bob ‘giving a shit’ last year. Once he cooled off, your panthers were toast.

Barkov really have a shit though. Played 2 more rounds than the leafs and an additional game in the first round and ended up with (drumroll please)……

5 more points. So impressive!

Still going on with this copy and paste stuff.
How about you actually participate in THIS thread and give us your expert opinion on who wins THIS year's potential series, quit living in the past for 5 minutes.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Should be a good matchup.

The homer in me thinks the Panthers can beat the Leafs in a series.

There's 6 players on the ice. Bob played excellent last time they met, but if Matthews were to win a series, "all by himself" would that be discredited the same way as a hot goalie or since he's a skater that's ok?

Florida was inconsistent in the regular season last year but it wasn't due to lack of talent. There was a big shift from the Q run and gun(and leave the goalie to dry at times) to the Paul Maurice more conservative method.
This year Florida has done a very good job playing defensively as a group the entire year, allowing both Bob and Stolarz a comfort zone at times of what to expect.
So, IMO, it's less about simply hoping Bob plays GOD mode and more about the Panthers 5 skaters just committing to backcheck/no dumb own zone turnovers(Kulikov)

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Still going on with this copy and paste stuff.
How about you actually participate in THIS thread and give us your expert opinion on who wins THIS year's potential series, quit living in the past for 5 minutes.
But I was responding to a post about last year lol

I shouldn’t be policed for posting literal facts, because you guys don’t like that it exposes your bad takes.

Coin flip again this year. Imo. If a goalie gets hot, that team wins. If a goalie grenades, that team loses. Same as it’s always been.

I don’t see how Torontos D and Goaltending holds up against Floridas depth.
What depth does Florida have over toronto? It’s certainly not up front. Behind their top line, they’re pretty thin.

Better D, definitely. Bob is a game breaker when he’s on.

But specifically depth, where does that come from?

Reactions: leafsfan5 and thusk

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
But I was responding to a post about last year lol

I shouldn’t be policed for posting literal facts, because you guys don’t like that it exposes your bad takes.

Coin flip again this year. Imo. If a goalie gets hot, that team wins. If a goalie grenades, that team loses. Same as it’s always been.

No no, Leafs fans have blamed their goalies for too long. Maybe shift the focus to other players this time if they do lose.

So what's the actual prediction then?
I went FLA in 6, figure Leafs earn an extra win in this year's rematch.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Haha so true, Keefe should force them to watch the 90s to 2000s Leafs teams, they at least had some will to win
Do you think the big bad panthers are going to push the leafs around this year?

No no, Leafs fans have blamed their goalies for too long. Maybe shift the focus to other players this time if they do lose.

So what's the actual prediction then?
I went FLA in 6, figure Leafs earn an extra win in this year's rematch.
I haven’t blamed any goalies. I’ve long said I don’t think Toronto was particularly good, but Florida also didn’t blow the doors off them like you’re pretending. Both can be true.

Ask Carolina fans if they were enamoured with Florida’s ‘systems, playing the right way’ blah blah blah nonsense. They’ll say no.

It just hits a nerve because the leafs hit closer to home for you and you hate that the stats don’t represent your memory of it.

I think it’s a coin flip. 6 games either way unless a goalie gets hot.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Do you think the big bad panthers are going to push the leafs around this year?

I haven’t blamed any goalies. I’ve long said I don’t think Toronto was particularly good, but Florida also didn’t blow the doors off them like you’re pretending. Both can be true.

Ask Carolina fans if they were enamoured with Florida’s ‘systems, playing the right way’ blah blah blah nonsense. They’ll say no.

It just hits a nerve because the leafs hit closer to home for you and you hate that the stats don’t represent your memory of it.

I think it’s a coin flip. 6 games either way unless a goalie gets hot.

I think the Leafs did beef up with more grit so no I don't expect the Panthers running around as much with free will physically but I do think FLA will still forecheck/dump n chase like they did last year.

I think the Leafs are still thin/green/declining on D and their goalies and success of PP will be the X factor. In saying that, I think the Leafs need to play like they did the other night to overcome FLA, whether they can do that for 4 games/wins is another question. Should be a fun series.

I wouldn't want to play Carolina again, they're deeper and likely even more motivated to win after getting upset.

Still not seeing your prediction for the actual winner, FLA/TOR? Don't need the nerve/emotional evaluation.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Keefe will get his ass handed to him...Panthers in 6. I would have picked 5 but I will give The Leafs 1 free one cause Matthews will have a big game....

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I think the Leafs did beef up with more grit so no I don't expect the Panthers running around as much with free will physically but I do think FLA will still forecheck/dump n chase like they did last year.

I think the Leafs are still thin/green/declining on D and their goalies and success of PP will be the X factor. In saying that, I think the Leafs need to play like they did the other night to overcome FLA, whether they can do that for 4 games/wins is another question. Should be a fun series.

I wouldn't want to play Carolina again, they're deeper and likely even more motivated to win after getting upset.

Still not seeing your prediction for the actual winner, FLA/TOR? Don't need the nerve/emotional evaluation.
I don’t have a prediction. I’m not a child and don’t need the validation of ‘see I was right durrrr’ because it’s a coin flip.

Floridas ‘forecheck, dump and chase’ talking point aka ‘playing the right way’ wasn’t what won them the series against Toronto or Carolina last year. That’s the point. You keep bringing these talking points up, but ignoring the factor that was responsible for 75% of your run because it’s inconvenient to your memory.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Leafs fans vote for leafs, everyone else votes for Florida.

Pretty much how these polls go it's pointless

Leaf fans here, voted Leafs in 5!

GO LEAFS GO

The Leaf’s goaltending and D
The problem is not the depth it’s the core players. Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares and Rielly simply can’t match the physical play of Tkachuk, Barkov, Bennett, Ekblad, Verhaege etc.
Until the Leafs core who play 25 minutes a night commit to playing a more physical style they will be at a disadvantage in the playoffs when the games get tighter and more physical. We’ve seen this every year so far.
The other edge I’d give Florida is in net and on D.
I’d take Florida in 6.

Reaves, McCabe, edmundson, Domi, bertuzzi, Benoit call all match whatever physicality Florida has.

And the core 4/5 crush them all in skill.

If Bob isn’t a god, leafs win this handily

WE WANT FLORIDA AND BOSTON!

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Leaf fans here, voted Leafs in 5!

GO LEAFS GO

Reaves, McCabe, edmundson, Domi, bertuzzi, Benoit call all match whatever physicality Florida has.

And the core 4/5 crush them all in skill.

If Bob isn’t a god, leafs win this handily

WE WANT FLORIDA AND BOSTON!
The support players aren’t the problem. It’s the core. Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares and Rielly just don’t match up well against Tkachuk, Verhaege, Ekblad, Bennett etc. Unless and until Toronto’s core prove they can play through the closer checking and more physical play without disappearing you have to take Florida. That’s been the book on the Leafs’ core for a number of years now.

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don’t have a prediction. I’m not a child and don’t need the validation of ‘see I was right durrrr’ because it’s a coin flip.

Floridas ‘forecheck, dump and chase’ talking point aka ‘playing the right way’ wasn’t what won them the series against Toronto or Carolina last year. That’s the point. You keep bringing these talking points up, but ignoring the factor that was responsible for 75% of your run because it’s inconvenient to your memory.

But Bobrovsky didn't score any goals?
What a bum.
Lol 75%, your made up number?
Never reveals your homework on that made up stat.
Good talk, it's not about saying you were wrong but I can tell you don't have faith in your team as much as you did going into the FLA/TOR series last year.

Reactions: dukeofjive

The90

Feb 27, 2017
But Bobrovsky didn't score any goals?
What a bum.
Lol 75%, your made up number?
Never reveals your homework on that made up stat.
Good talk, it's not about saying you were wrong but I can tell you don't have faith in your team as much as you did going into the FLA/TOR series last year.
I literally have posted stat after stat and you find gold medal worthy mental gymnastics to dodge the inconvenient truth.

If your goalie puts up .942, you’re going to win. If your goalie puts up .953, you’re going to win. It really is that simple. I don’t care how much forechecking you do/ don’t do, when your getting that kind of goaltending.

Against the leafs, Bob was .942. Against Carolina, Bob was .953. If you want to pretend otherwise, go for it. The facts don’t represent your feelings no matter how loud you say it.

I’ll re post the same post by a Carolina fan because it represents what I’m saying.

Attachments

• A7399B09-30B1-46C3-B89A-6FB0B2D36BBD.jpeg
    A7399B09-30B1-46C3-B89A-6FB0B2D36BBD.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 3

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I literally have posted stat after stat and you find gold medal worthy mental gymnastics to dodge the inconvenient truth.

If your goalie puts up .942, you’re going to win. If your goalie puts up .953, you’re going to win. It really is that simple. I don’t care how much forechecking you do/ don’t do, when your getting that kind of goaltending.

Against the leafs, Bob was .942. Against Carolina, Bob was .953. If you want to pretend otherwise, go for it. The facts don’t represent your feelings no matter how loud you say it.

I’ll re post the same post by a Carolina fan because it represents what I’m saying.

So show your math on Bob getting to 75% of the reason we won then? We know his stats. Does the Deserve meter have some calculator I'm not aware of?

You've posted this exact copy and paste message like 15-20 times. Adin Hill posted nothing close to Bob's stats and they won the whole thing. Explain that?
Were you a goalie when you played hockey? Because there's 5 players on the ice with the goalies as well.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Florida needs to be worried about Tampa. They look like they will pass the leafs.

This year Toronto is worse on D and structure. But definitely won’t be bullied.

Reeves/domi/bert/edmundson

Is a massive change in the physicality department.

I still think Florida Probably wins but not based on physicality. Torontos defensive structure has been horrific.

The third period of the panthers game was just a disaster

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

The90

Feb 27, 2017
So show your math on Bob getting to 75% of the reason we won then? We know his stats. Does the Deserve meter have some calculator I'm not aware of?

You've posted this exact copy and paste message like 15-20 times. Adin Hill posted nothing close to Bob's stats and they won the whole thing. Explain that?
Were you a goalie when you played hockey? Because there's 5 players on the ice with the goalies as well.
You’re really close to figuring out that vegas was a better team and didn’t need to rely heavily on their goalie. As did almost every team who won the cup without god like performances. The hot goalie performances usually last 1-2 rounds and fizzle out. Bob was a great example of that. The team didn’t play any different, they actually had similar chances for and against. They just didn’t get the saves. That’s where the 75% came from. Which is obviously a made up number, but represents that he was the majority of why they got to where they did.

I’ll leave you to it big guy. Yourself Being someone from the Toronto area, but cheering for Florida, I know that series meant a lot to you. It’s all good.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
You’re really close to figuring out that vegas was a better team and didn’t need to rely heavily on their goalie. As did almost every team who won the cup without god like performances. The hot goalie usually last 1-2 rounds and fizzles out.

I’ll leave you to it big guy. Yourself Being someone from the Toronto but cheering for Florida area I know that series meant a lot to you. It’s all good.

So just admit you made up the 75% comment and I'll go on about my day but I know you won't. It's a weird routine you got.

You always bring this Toronto comment up knowing I'd never live in that shithole. Always deflecting and try to get emotional..

The90

Feb 27, 2017
The support players aren’t the problem. It’s the core. Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares and Rielly just don’t match up well against Tkachuk, Verhaege, Ekblad, Bennett etc. Unless and until Toronto’s core prove they can play through the closer checking and more physical play without disappearing you have to take Florida. That’s been the book on the Leafs’ core for a number of years now.
It’s literally almost always been the depth lol. The leafs top players have all been at or very near ppg for going on 5 years now in the playoffs. The one series they got depth scoring (Tampa) they won. Go figure. That’s also not saying the leafs core has had ‘that’ dominating performance either, but they haven’t been the reason they lost that’s for sure. That’s just an easy talking point for someone who doesn’t watch the games.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It’s literally almost always been the depth lol. The leafs top players have all been at or very near ppg for going on 5 years now in the playoffs. The one series they got depth scoring (Tampa) they won. Go figure. That’s also not saying the leafs core has had ‘that’ dominating performance either, but they haven’t been the reason they lost that’s for sure. That’s just an easy talking point for someone who doesn’t watch the games.
The core is the reason they lost. It’s been the one constant every single year. The depth changes every single year but the core stays the same and so does the under performance. These guys disappear in the big games.
It’s just an easy talking point for someone who wants to excuse the core to blame the depth, bad luck, a hot goalie, a cold goalie, the refs, cap circumvention, bad coaching or whatever other excuse gets trotted out every year. Until the core comes through and takes the team on a deep run they will bear the brunt of criticism from most of those who watch the games and deservedly so.

Last edited:

The90

Feb 27, 2017
So just admit you made up the 75% comment and I'll go on about my day but I know you won't. It's a weird routine you got.

You always bring this Toronto comment up knowing I'd never live in that shithole. Always deflecting and try to get emotional..
Well I bring it up because it’s true. You might not live downtown, but you’re definitely close and in leaf territory lol

The core is the reason they lost. It’s been the one constant every single year. The depth changes every single year but the core stays the same. These guys disappear in the big games.
It’s just an easy talking point for someone who wants to excuse the core to blame the depth, bad luck, a hot goalie, a cold goalie, the refs, cap circumvention, bad coaching or whatever other lame excuse gets trotted out every year. Until the core comes through and takes the team on a deep run they will bear the brunt of criticism and deservedly so.
Lol. The leafs go on a deep and run and you’ll just pivot to the next talking point without actually having watched the games.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Well I bring it up because it’s true. You might not live downtown, but you’re definitely close and in leaf territory lol

Lol. The leafs go on a deep and run and you’ll just pivot to the next talking point without actually having watched the games.
Lol. The Leafs get bounced in the first round and you’ll just pivot to your next lame excuse without understanding what you’re watching.

Reactions: bert and dukeofjive

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Guys like The90 like to pretend goalie is a separate entity that’s not actually part of the team and how it’s constructed. Kyle Dubas tried for years with the “spin a wheel, throw a random goalie in there and cross your fingers and hope for the best” strategy because there are a few instances where it worked out for different teams. It never worked for his teams. At this point, it looks like Samsonov again this postseason. More “cross your fingers and pray”. Hopefully it works out for him.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Guys like The90 like to pretend goalie is a separate entity that’s not actually part of the team and how it’s constructed. Kyle Dubas tried for years with the “spin a wheel, throw a random goalie in there and cross your fingers and hope for the best” strategy because there are a few instances where it worked out for different teams. It never worked for his teams. At this point, it looks like Samsonov again this postseason. More “cross your fingers and pray”. Hopefully it works out for him.
It’s weird. If Matthews led the Leafs on a deep run I doubt he’d make an excuse about the Leafs only winning because of Matthews. But somehow Bob having a great playoff run for Florida means the Leafs were the better team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad