Potential TOR vs FLA playoff matchup: Who do you take?

Who wins?

• TOR in 4

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • TOR in 5

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • TOR in 6

Votes: 54 15.0%
  • TOR in 7

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • FLA in 4

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • FLA in 5

Votes: 64 17.8%
  • FLA in 6

Votes: 141 39.2%
  • FLA in 7

Votes: 50 13.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I participate in a playoffs pool every year and part of my strategy is to never bet on any Leafs player.

I ended up making money in 4 of the past 5 years. It's usually a good strategy.
You also jacked this line from PaulD. It’s one of his favourites.

Reactions: authentic

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Should be a fun series…. Florida is a pretty annoying team come playoff time. Didn’t panthers only make the playoffs last year cause penguins lost to Chicago late in season lol

They went 12 - 4 against the eastern conference power houses last year who had a combined 359 combined regular season points between the 3.

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
Should be a fun series…. Florida is a pretty annoying team come playoff time. Didn’t panthers only make the playoffs last year cause penguins lost to Chicago late in season lol

They went 12 - 4 against the eastern conference power houses last year who had a combined 359 combined regular season points between the 3.
IIRC they automatically made it when the Pens lost, but even if the Pens had won FLA still would have qualified as long as they won their final game.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Leaf’s goaltending and D
idk about the physical part.

This is the most physical leaf's team i've seen in the Matthews era.

anyway leafs in 6
The problem is not the depth it’s the core players. Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares and Rielly simply can’t match the physical play of Tkachuk, Barkov, Bennett, Ekblad, Verhaege etc.
Until the Leafs core who play 25 minutes a night commit to playing a more physical style they will be at a disadvantage in the playoffs when the games get tighter and more physical. We’ve seen this every year so far.
The other edge I’d give Florida is in net and on D.
I’d take Florida in 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyApples

The90

Feb 27, 2017
And? Until the Leafs core 4 plays like they give a shit about the playoffs, they wont win multiple rounds, let alone one against the Panthers. No matter what Samsonov does.
Let’s not pretend like it wasn’t 80% Bob ‘giving a shit’ last year. Once he cooled off, your panthers were toast.

Barkov really have a shit though. Played 2 more rounds than the leafs and an additional game in the first round and ended up with (drumroll please)……

5 more points. So impressive!

Attachments

• F5346D89-D93B-4DF6-8BF3-50EBCDE8FE28.jpeg
    F5346D89-D93B-4DF6-8BF3-50EBCDE8FE28.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Haha
Reactions: bert and Voight

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Leafs are a pretty bad defensive/goaltending team and they don't really have a track record or pedigree amongst their roster to suggest it'll all come together in the postseason, I guess just outside of blind "anything can happen" fashion.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Let’s not pretend like it wasn’t 80% Bob ‘giving a shit’ last year. Once he cooled off, your panthers were toast.

Barkov really have a shit though. Played 2 more rounds than the leafs and an additional game in the first round and ended up with (drumroll please)……

5 more points. So impressive!
Please, your core 4 was NON existent, and have been since joining the league (in the playoffs). The only one who remotely looked like he gave a shit was Nylander. Matthews was trash. Marner was trash. JT was trash. Your great superstars dont have the balls to do what it takes to win in the playoffs. JT was ran over last playoffs, and none of your great superstars had the balls to do anything. Until that changes, they will always be questioned. Oh wait, Reeves, Bertuzzi, and Domi are to the rescue lmao.

You like to puff your chest and come at me with the same crap. The Panthers got deeper, better on the blueline, and better defensively overall. Lets see what the crying will be again come these playoffs.

And its funny your bring up the "drumroll" scoring difference between Barkov and Matthews. Isnt Matthews job to score goals? Or is it to have 2 points in 5 games, going against the premier defensive center in the league?

Last edited:

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Go look at Samsonovs stats since being recalled
I dont need too. The guy has been a disappointment whenever he is clearly given the number 1 role. Sure he shows flashes of brilliance and even had some good regular season numbers but he will be the reason leafs fans are disappointed again in the playoffs. Even if you believe he has turned the corner who would you rather have in a pretty evenly matched series, Bob or Sammy? and that was my point in the post. When Sammy and Vanny signed with their new teams I said both teams made a mistake and they would be the reasons those teams failed. neither has disappointed. It reminds me of the caps trying to do any damage in the playoffs all the years before they got Holtby. It was all make believe goalies and hoping they could pull miracles. Huet, Theodore, Varlamov, Neuvirth. Think they even tried to go with Halak at what point. It wasnt till they got Holtby that they started making progress in the playoffs. They still lost to Pitt and NY a few times before winning but the goaltending was not the issue in those losses. When Toronto gets a real starter, look out, that team will be scary.

Last edited:

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Please, your core 4 was NON existent, and have been since joining the league (in the playoffs). The only one who remotely looked like he gave a shit was Nylander. Matthews was trash. Marner was trash. JT was trash. Your great superstars dont have the balls to do what it takes to win in the playoffs. JT was ran over last playoffs, and none of your great superstars had the balls to do anything. Until that changes, they will always be questioned. Oh wait, Reeves, Bertuzzi, and Domi are to the rescue lmao.

You like to puff your chest and come at me with the same crap. The Panthers got deeper, better on the blueline, and better defensively overall. Lets see what the crying will be again come these playoffs.

And its funny your bring up the "drumroll" scoring difference between Barkov and Matthews. Isnt Matthews job to score goals? Or is it to have 2 points in 5 games, going against the premier defensive center in the league?
Uh oh. I hit a nerve. Truth hurts bud. I literally posted solely facts and got 3 novels back lol

You got carried by a goalie and capitalized on your chances. That’s it.

Reactions: authentic

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Uh oh. I hit a nerve. Truth hurts bud. I literally posted solely facts and got 3 novels back lol

You got carried by a goalie and capitalized on your chances. That’s it.
And were the better team.
Doesn’t mean the results will be the same this year but the better team won last year.
And last time I checked the goalie was part of the team as well and capitalizing on chances and stopping the other guys is the whole objective of the game.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
And were the better team.
Doesn’t mean the results will be the same this year but the better team won last year.
And last time I checked the goalie was part of the team as well and capitalizing on chances and stopping the other guys is the whole objective of the game.
Thanks for your input. I value it greatly.

But I was responding to a highbrow comment about how the leafs core 4 need to ‘give a shit’, when the reality is the core of Florida were carried by a goaltender.

Inability to recognize when teams play well / lose or play shitty and win is insecurity. I don’t think they deserved to win either series last year. Tampa included. But the ‘durr the leafs stats have been terrible’ is greatly overplayed.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for your input. I value it greatly.

But I was responding to a highbrow comment about how the leafs core 4 need to ‘give a shit’, when the reality is the core of Florida were carried by a goaltender.

Inability to recognize when teams play well / lose or play shitty and win is insecurity. I don’t think they deserved to win either series last year. Tampa included. But the ‘durr the leafs stats have been terrible’ is greatly overplayed.
You’re welcome. Appreciate the kind words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad