Potential players to look at the TDL

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Bettuzzi will probably have to sign a 1 year deal to rebuild his value. I can’t see many teams lining up to give him a long term deal after getting hurt again and playing poorly.

Reactions: Guadana

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Bettuzzi will probably have to sign a 1 year deal to rebuild his value. I can’t see many teams lining up to give him a long term deal after getting hurt again and playing poorly.
If he can replace Wood at the same or less cost as Wood is now? Then yes I’d like to try him out , but only if for a one year deal. So the rest of this season plus playoffs , and if he does well, sign him accordingly ? Or a one year “prove it “ comtract. I can see other teams offering more $ and length though.

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
Does he have any covid restrictions these days? He used to have to skip Canada trips and whatnot because he's an anti-vaxxer.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
It would be great(if we will not trade Meier) to trade and sign Bertuzzi for one year. He will produce points with Nico\Jack, Devils will got good player for 2 play-offs. But I wouldn`t trade Holtz\Grits\Shaq level prospect for him. Only 1st + B-level prospect.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It would be great(if we will not trade Meier) to trade and sign Bertuzzi for one year. He will produce points with Nico\Jack, Devils will got good player for 2 play-offs. But I wouldn`t trade Holtz\Grits\Shaq level prospect for him. Only 1st + B-level prospect.
I’d pass if the asking price is a first. At least right now. He’s not playing all that well and if want to know more than just if he’s been cleared by the doctors to play.

Reactions: Nubmer6 and Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I’d pass if the asking price is a first. At least right now. He’s not playing all that well and if want to know more than just if he’s been cleared by the doctors to play.
I think he isn`t just ready. Of course before the trade they need to make full scan.
I would give a first if he is ready\close to be ready AND will sign 1 year deal. If he wants more or wants to taste the market, I don`t see a good readon to trade 1st for him.

But this is not the thing I would die on the hill for.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think he isn`t just ready. Of course before the trade they need to make full scan.
I would give a first if he is ready\close to be ready AND will sign 1 year deal. If he wants more or wants to taste the market, I don`t see a good readon to trade 1st for him.

But this is not the thing I would die on the hill for.
That’s fair. I’m just having a hard time seeing NJ as a team that is ready to invest in a playoff run beyond extraneous stuff . Giving up a fourth or some B prospects is fine but I want to see what the team does in the playoffs before moving a first or second or any prospect with a future unless it’s for Meier with an extension.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
That’s fair. I’m just having a hard time seeing NJ as a team that is ready to invest in a playoff run beyond extraneous stuff . Giving up a fourth or some B prospects is fine but I want to see what the team does in the playoffs before moving a first or second or any prospect with a future unless it’s for Meier with an extension.
Agree, cheers. F*ck everybody who wants our good prospects and picks, if they don`t give us Meier in the opposit way.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

I mean that's probably why Fitz wants someone with term who's good. It'll allow them the flexibility to add in the future while making it worthwhile it now.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC

I'm so with you. I feel like this is a great season beyond all reasonable expectation (3rd overall in the NHL at the allstar break?), but my gut says we're not really built to win this year and rushing to add this year isn't going to solve that.

Disclaimer: I could be wrong. I can always be wrong.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Bertuzzi???

throw-up-vomit.gif

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I think Denis Gurianov should be an option, I think he's pretty much worn out his welcome in Dallas and I think he'd fit the style of game NJ plays quite nicely. Much better fit than a Boeser/Bertuzzi IMO

I also think they'll look to add a depth D with some nasty to his game, like Gudas or Schenn but the latter might cost too much for Fitz to consider.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
NJD doesn't need Meier to win a round or two. Get Bertuzzi, Barbashev and a reliable 3rd pair D man as insurance. It won't cost a lot. Reshape the middle six with more kamikazes and they should be fine. The team has to be retrofit to a degree to withstand the nastiness and lack of open ice in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
if we somehow miss out on meier, i'm down to upgrade/beef out our bottom 6. we need that depth

or maybe we can do both? idk
We definitely can do both but I’m not sure it’s necessary unless we also lose some depth player(s) in a trade for Meier. Otherwise our depth improves just from Meier pushing somebody else down the lineup.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
NJD doesn't need Meier to win a round or two. Get Bertuzzi, Barbashev and a reliable 3rd pair D man as insurance. It won't cost a lot. Reshape the middle six with more kamikazes and they should be fine. The team has to be retrofit to a degree to withstand the nastiness and lack of open ice in the playoffs.

I dont get this line of thought . We are 3rd in the league but we don’t have a chance?
I agree about not using prime assets on TDL rentals . We need to see what we need after this years playoffs. What me may need are bottom 6 players that are easily obtained amd we have assets to get them .
But to NOT go hard after Meier is crazy l He is exactly what we need. He is not just an add for this playoffs but for the next 8 years and playoffs . Go get the 40 + goal guy that plays the interior and brings exactly what our biggest need is
I think we are at that point.
The 2023 1st is not going to make us a contender . Meier is . Maybe not completely alone this year , but addig him as a core piece is huge.
Tweek the bottom 6 after we see what we need.
Why add now we don’t know what we need for sure.

We definitely can do both but I’m not sure it’s necessary unless we also lose some depth player(s) in a trade for Meier. Otherwise our depth improves just from Meier pushing somebody else down the lineup.
And we can use our depth of prospects that we have a surplus of to address this. Some trades like a Foote for a good depth veteran player or a type of player we need

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

This is correct...I am not sure about the actual players mentioned but I don't want to smash the piggy bank for Meier... smashing the piggy bank would be any of Luke, Nemec or Mercer...

On top of that I don't think our bottom 6 is good enough for the playoffs as is... bottom 6 players are often the difference in a playoff series when margins are razor thin and I don't our existing group is adequate.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
This is correct...I am not sure about the actual players mentioned but I don't want to smash the piggy bank for Meier... smashing the piggy bank would be any of Luke, Nemec or Mercer...

On top of that I don't think our bottom 6 is good enough for the playoffs as is... bottom 6 players are often the difference in a playoff series when margins are razor thin and I don't our existing group is adequate.
Fitz isn’t moving Nemec, Luke or Mercer, I’m 99.9% sure of that and it has been reported as such also. Pretty sure the mix of prospects available is Holtz/Muk/Casey.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018

If you think Fitz moves Hughes or Nemec for Meier than you're nuts haha. I agree with the bottom 6 needing to be beefed up. We outhit Seattle on Thursday yet for the longest time we always seem to be the team that throws the lesser of big hits that really get the team/crowd into the game. Its nice that this team has had a reputation for not having dirty players or guys who get suspended for bad hits/plays. Subban was literally the only one I can think of since dsting back to the Tootoo/ Bobby Farnham days. We got guys like Bastian , Wood , Haula etc who occasionally throw the body but we need a real good middle 6 player with some size and snarl. It's a shame Sharanogivch doesn't really play that style because right now it's looking like he will be more of a 3rd line player than a 2nd line player the way he has been producing the last 2 seasons. Still a great draft pick and a useful player , just wish he would use his size more and play more of an intimidating game.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If you think Fitz moves Hughes or Nemec for Meier than you're nuts haha. I agree with the bottom 6 needing to be beefed up. We outhit Seattle on Thursday yet for the longest time we always seem to be the team that throws the lesser of big hits that really get the team/crowd into the game. Its nice that this team has had a reputation for not having dirty players or guys who get suspended for bad hits/plays. Subban was literally the only one I can think of since dsting back to the Tootoo/ Bobby Farnham days. We got guys like Bastian , Wood , Haula etc who occasionally throw the body but we need a real good middle 6 player with some size and snarl. It's a shame Sharanogivch doesn't really play that style because right now it's looking like he will be more of a 3rd line player than a 2nd line player the way he has been producing the last 2 seasons. Still a great draft pick and a useful player , just wish he would use his size more and play more of an intimidating game.
Come playoff time it's not just hits and snarl... that's important too but it's also outproducing the opposing 3rd or 4th line.
I'm not seeing the kind of player in Wood, Bastian, Haula or McLeod to be the guy that has a 3 or 4 goal series to take the pressure off the big guns...and that is 100% needed at some point if you want a long playoff run...those guys as constructed don't give me a lot of confidence.

Camille the Eel

Luke and Jack on the same team here are going to be ridiculous, as Jack used the term in his all star broadcast interview. Two players that dynamic at driving play, with their skating, who can go just about anywhere they want on the ice and dare the opposition to stop them, nobody else has that. Once we absorb Luke we are in a competitive window for a cup the length of time we have them sewed up. So any pieces we add, we do so with an eye to compliment them.

Reactions: My3Sons

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
I dont think Devils should go for big rentals or spend any major assets on rentals. If we strike out on the likes Meier and Henrique, I think Crouse should be a guy we look at. Having him for 5 playoff runs at his prime would be great and he would check out a lot of boxes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad