Potential players to look at the TDL

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Just some names of who Fitz might want to consider. Rather than do on the main board and get flamed every 10 secs. I thought I could do here. These are just some thoughts, in some cases salary has to be moved etc. This is the who, not the how. No one is wrong its opinions. Here are a couple from me, heavier, feisty types. Have at it:

Hathaway-RW WSH

Eller-C WSH
Domi-C CHI

Comtois-LW ANA
Jeannot-LW NSH
Marchment-LW DAL
Ritchie-LW AZ

TVR-RD WSH
Schenn-RD VAN

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
With out going through contracts and statuses of your list, Fitz was already clear in not wanting to give up futures for rentals. If he moves anything it will be for younger/long term control type contracts.

Reactions: hidek91 and HBK27

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
With out going through contracts and statuses of your list, Fitz was already clear in not wanting to give up futures for rentals. If he moves anything it will be for younger/long term control type contracts.
I agree but I can see possibly adding a minor depth piece as a rental. But for the most part, it will be like you said, adding a player only if he is a good long term fit and not just a rental.

To the OP: I like the type of players you are targeting . Most I cannot see being moved (Marchment , Jeannot ) but I would love to add one of them.

Of the players I have heard that might be possibly available , I’d say hands down Meier is my #1 choice by a mile.
He will be costly but worth it IMO.
Other than that , maybe a depth D like a Gudas or Kulikov type player to have for D depth in case of injuries. It’s almost a given that one or more of our D will be hurt if we are in a lengthy playoff series , so I’d like to add a veteran D with experience and can play playoff hockey / be physical / PK . We should have Luke and possibly Nemec by then but I’d also like to have a steady defensive D as well.

If Meier is not an option , I am not sure what we should be looking at for forwards. I’d rather just hang tight maybe if Meier is not an option and save the cap room , unless we go the rental direction , which is doubtful unless it’s a minor piece not costig a ton of assets.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I don’t see how it makes sense to give up futures for a rental right now. I think we are at minimum a year away from being in a position to do that. Fitz needs to be looking to add long term players, particularly a top 6 forward who can finish and maybe another middle six forward with size who plays a physical game. And another goaltender who can be relied upon to replace Blackwood.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Unless theres a hockey trade to be made, I'd only be looking for depth defensemen. We're pretty thin on the right side.

And even then, I'm not sure how hard Fitz would pursue another defenseman given (a) we don't have any cap space and (b) we'll have Nemec, Luke and likely Muk all available as depth defenseman.

Not many teams have that type of luxury to have two very high picks and a 1st rounder with 4 KHL seasons under his belt available as depth defensemen during the playoffs.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I could see Fitz wanting to add Schenn or Gudas style D, even with guys like Nemec, L Hughes and Muk coming.
I think he'd be more comfortable with a veteran D rather than throw those guys to the wolves for a playoff push.

For a forward, I don't see him adding anything more than a depth C/W preferably one that shoots right.

Reactions: Smitty426

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
And even then, I'm not sure how hard Fitz would pursue another defenseman given (a) we don't have any cap space and (b) we'll have Nemec, Luke and likely Muk all available as depth defenseman.

Not many teams have that type of luxury to have two very high picks and a 1st rounder with 4 KHL seasons under his belt available as depth defensemen during the playoffs.
Not to mention they already have 8 NHL caliber defenseman on the roster between Hamilton, Marino, Severson, Seigenthaler, Graves, Smith, Bahl and Okhotyuk. Are the Devils really going to give up assets to get a player that might be slightly better than those last three? Especially with Hughes potentially being added for a playoff run.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I could see Nashville being good dance partners depending where they are in the standings. They have a trio of interesting wings. First, Nino, but I’m not sure they move a guy they just signed. He has one more year at $4 million. We know all about him.

Then there’s Tanner Jeannot, a RFA. Having a massive down year in terms of scoring after potting 24 last year (high SH%). Very gritty player, over 300 hits last season. Could be a Wood replacement.

Then there’s Yakov Trenin, signed for 1 more year at 1.7 million. Excellent defensive forward, big, skates well.

If they are tearing it down and move Ekholm, maybe Bahl plus a pick is appealing to them? I don’t know. Each of those guys provides something a little different, but I see a fit for any of them.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
If we trade for a D - i'd rather do it sooner than later. Just a vibe check but unless you're all-worldly caliber, I feel like it takes time to acclimate. Didn't Sal kind of stink when we first got him?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Just some names of who Fitz might want to consider. Rather than do on the main board and get flamed every 10 secs. I thought I could do here. These are just some thoughts, in some cases salary has to be moved etc. This is the who, not the how. No one is wrong its opinions. Here are a couple from me, heavier, feisty types. Have at it:

Hathaway-RW WSH

Eller-C WSH
Domi-C CHI

Comtois-LW ANA
Jeannot-LW NSH
Marchment-LW DAL
Ritchie-LW AZ

TVR-RD WSH
Schenn-RD VAN

A veteran RHS depth defender is the biggest need just in case injuries hit. In that case, TvR would be perfect, but I don’t see Washington slipping soon. Likely will be some depth RHD that we hope to god doesn’t get time but is nice to have just in case.

Outside that, I would say either short and long term options like a Konecny or a Meier. Would be tough to get done mid-season with all the cap restraints.

A veteran top nine forward that plays a bit more of an interior game and goes to the net, adept at deflections, garbage goals etc. would be nice too, say Henrique/JvR/Parise/Niederreiter but the cap is going to be an issue with the first two. Some other names on a quick scan of non-playoff teams:

Bjugstad
Ritchie
Stetcher
Sundqvist
Pysyk
Domi
Hamonic
Bonino
Braun (hope to god not but one of the few RHS depth options)
Schenn
Dadonov

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Comtois-LW ANA $2.3M RFA 24yo
Jeannot-LW NSH $800K RFA 25yo
see above (cant delete)
Unless theres a hockey trade to be made, I'd only be looking for depth defensemen. We're pretty thin on the right side.
TVR
Not exactly true. Fitz has said recently he is open to rentals
And the rentals I offered up ck off a couple boxes
Most of these players probably aren't currently available (Dallas and Washington are currently in playoff positions) and quite a few of them wouldn't even be upgrades for the bottom of our roster.
Yes on Dallas, not sure on Wash. Disagree on "upgrades" Domi is far better than JespBo. Ritchie, sure
I don’t see how it makes sense to give up futures for a rental right now. I think we are at minimum a year away from being in a position to do that. Fitz needs to be looking to add long term players, particularly a top 6 forward who can finish and maybe another middle six forward with size who plays a physical game. And another goaltender who can be relied upon to replace Blackwood.
I think going in with what we have may be an easy 1st round exit. Playoffs are a different animal. This team is waifey thin and not a ton of stick-up-for-ness in them. I agree don't give away the farm but a vet D, depth fwd (Henrique next year, keep Parise off this team please). Similar to what Zip suggested.

Feel like there will be a good market for Reimer.
I think this can be done. Reclamation project they can move if he's not their guy for a 30+ yr old UFA

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I could see Fitz wanting to add Schenn or Gudas style D, even with guys like Nemec, L Hughes and Muk coming.
I think he'd be more comfortable with a veteran D rather than throw those guys to the wolves for a playoff push.

For a forward, I don't see him adding anything more than a depth C/W preferably one that shoots right.
Biggest issue is no defenseman we acquire is realistically cracking that top six of Siegenthaler - Hamilton; Graves - Marino; Smith - Severson. We essentially need to find someone who is good enough to be a fill-in option but not too good that we’re playing a premium price for a guy that’s going to ride the bench unless needed.

Granted this will likely be a trade deadline day deal if anything. I would imagine Devils may end up giving Nemec a chance before then just to see what we have in him and if he could be that guy. LHD is likely covered with Okhotiuk and Bahl. Devils might also just be content to roll the dice with Hughes, Muk, and Vilen all potentially joining the organization and Walsh/Russo down in the AHL.

Could just hope that at least one of those is serviceable enough.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Biggest issue is no defenseman we acquire is realistically cracking that top six of Siegenthaler - Hamilton; Graves - Marino; Smith - Severson. We essentially need to find someone who is good enough to be a fill-in option but not too good that we’re playing a premium price for a guy that’s going to ride the bench unless needed.

Granted this will likely be a trade deadline day deal if anything. I would imagine Devils may end up giving Nemec a chance before then just to see what we have in him and if he could be that guy. LHD is likely covered with Okhotiuk and Bahl. Devils might also just be content to roll the dice with Hughes, Muk, and Vilen all potentially joining the organization and Walsh/Russo down in the AHL.

Could just hope that at least one of those is serviceable enough.

You could rotate Smith out with anyone they acquired, but they'd be unlikely to play most games.
It's always nice to have one kicking around if someone gets hurt though.

Any deadline acquisition should be of the cheap variety, no 1st no top prospects involved.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
A veteran RHS depth defender is the biggest need just in case injuries hit. In that case, TvR would be perfect, but I don’t see Washington slipping soon. Likely will be some depth RHD that we hope to god doesn’t get time but is nice to have just in case.

Outside that, I would say either short and long term options like a Konecny or a Meier. Would be tough to get done mid-season with all the cap restraints.

A veteran top nine forward that plays a bit more of an interior game and goes to the net, adept at deflections, garbage goals etc. would be nice too, say Henrique/JvR/Parise/Niederreiter but the cap is going to be an issue with the first two. Some other names on a quick scan of non-playoff teams:

Bjugstad
Ritchie
Stetcher
Sundqvist
Pysyk
Domi
Hamonic
Bonino
Braun (hope to god not but one of the few RHS depth options)
Schenn
Dadonov
I think expecting Hughes and Nemec to be that guy is not smart. Options like this make sense. Kulikov, how bad is Wideman in Mont? Carrier in NSH?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think expecting Hughes and Nemec to be that guy is not smart. Options like this make sense. Kulikov, how bad is Wideman in Mont? Carrier in NSH?
I don’t disagree. It is likely the route Fitzgerald goes. Just saying if options are limited, we do have a number of defenders that are sort of on that cusp. Odds are at least one of them should be serviceable enough to play 12-15 minutes.

But there’s time, it’s likely whoever is added is to take use of expanded rosters after trade deadline rather than before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad