Speculation: Potential Offseason Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
New Jersey pumped out their first whilst hosting a draft, cant see Holmgren retaining his 1st to select a crap shoot.

What dont you like about Edler? Holmgren was rumoured to be going after him at the trade deadline

His back issues mostly. It seems like a Ryan Parent situation just waiting to happen.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
There was a report that the Flyers were interested in Cammy last year I believe. If so I don't see how that would change considering he scored 26 goals & put up 45 points in 63 games on a bad Calgary team this year. He also played in LA when Hextall was there.

He may be small but he's still a good player despite it & is very clutch. He would also likely come cheaper than Vanek.

Those rumors started because of Sam Carchidi. He threw that name out there when the trade deadline was approaching. Nothing more then speculation on his part. Burke or someone else even reported that the best offer they got for Cammy was a 3rd rounder, looks like a lot of franchises don't really think he offers much to the table now. He still is a good player but hurt like you said and demanded a trade from Montreal as well. Maybe some GM's don't like what they hear about him.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Those rumors started because of Sam Carchidi. He threw that name out there when the trade deadline was approaching. Nothing more then speculation on his part. Burke or someone else even reported that the best offer they got for Cammy was a 3rd rounder, looks like a lot of franchises don't really think he offers much to the table now. He still is a good player but hurt like you said and demanded a trade from Montreal as well. Maybe some GM's don't like what they hear about him.

He's carried a reputation as dressing room cancer since LA. He's still got lots gas in the tank and knows more about hitting the back of the net than anyone on this team though. I dunno if a guy grows out of a reputation like that so it's definitely a risk on that front. We really need a guy who can shoot.

JayRosehillMVP

snubbed again
May 28, 2012
Philadelphia
For the love of god let's not sign anyone that has a chance of blowing up in our face. One Lecavalier is plenty.

Camalleri is 5'9" and those kinds of players don't age well at all. Vanek and Callahan would cost a ton, but I might be willing to cough up the money if we could off Lecavalier's contract and possibly even Hartnell. I do think our biggest problem is speed up front. The only players I'd consider fast are Voracek and Read. Simmonds, Raffl, and Giroux are quick, but after that everyone else is pretty slow.

As terrible as his past season was, anyone else willing to look into Yakupov? Lightning quick goal scorer for G, very hardworking off-ice. He seems like a good kid, and our coaching staff aren't total pushovers like in Edmonton. I think we could teach him to be a complete player.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
I'd take Yakupov. :) Just think of the potential a line of Yakupov - Giroux - Voracek would have. Could be the Flyers first line for the next 5+ years. I don't know, it sounds good in my head. :laugh:

However, I'm sure the price for Yakupov isn't exactly cheap.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Free Agency = I would like to see the Flyers avoid free agency. Guys like Niskanen, Cammy, Vanek, Gaborik, Moulson, etc are just going to be more 4+ year deals. If they dont work out, it is more dead weight we are stuck with. I also dread a typical Homer "sign a 4th liner to 1.8 mil a year" type deals. No need to do that with guys like Laughton and Akeson. Unless they get a vet like Boyle or Iginla for a 1 year deal (maybe 2), i dont like the idea of more FAs.

Trade = Coburn and B. Schenn are the guys I would dangle out there...but only actually pull the trigger if you are getting a real upgrade in return. Shattenkirk or the 1st overall sound like the highest end D that might be available. Forward wise, I'd see if SJ or Van is looking to move someone...and this might actually be the best time to go after Ryan.

If no big deals are out there...Homer needs to get creative. Instead of throwing long deals at FA, look for those kind of players via trade that only have a year or two left (so you arent stuck with them if they don't pan out). One guy I think would be intriguing (not sure if he'd be available) is Michael Grabner. He has scored 30+ goals before so he has some finish...and he is very very fast. His speed could really open things up for G. There is also the Austrian connection with Raffl. (Maybe Vinny for Grabner?)

My main concern this Summer is for them to be patient and smart...but that doesn't always describe Homer.

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014
His back issues mostly. It seems like a Ryan Parent situation just waiting to happen.

Fair enough but he had just as many hits and blocked shots as Coburn and still put up better offensive numbers and the same icetime. Hard to argue he isnt an upgrade over Coburn.

Who else is available fellas? Watch Homer go hard after Boyle and overpay like he always does. Niskanen? Everyone needs a defenseman and will surely drive up his price.

How valuable IS Brayden to your team? He finally potted 20 goals, gets killed on faceoffs, also has a history of injuries....you wouldnt part with him and a 1st in this years crap shoot draft?

Tedeward

Jan 24, 2014
Philly
I went over to the Calgary boards and they said that Cammalleri is a fairly good skater, although he has slowed down over the years. He is obviously good at scoring and they all had conflicting feelings about his passing. They dont think he will resign with Calgary and they feel that he will want a raise from his 6 mil contract but they think 4-5 mil is more reasonable. The big thing that they mentioned was his injusry history. He hasnt played an 80 game season since 2009. I think this could be 50/50 signing. 50% chance he ends up like Vinny, who also had injury history. 50% chance he thrives because he is a LW. Vinny is a C and it was tough for him to get into the lineup. Cammy could fit right into the LW with Giroux and thrive there. The more I think about it the more worried I am about his health. I would still risk it if there are no other options. Just dont sign him to a 50 year contact with a NTC.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Fair enough but he had just as many hits and blocked shots as Coburn and still put up better offensive numbers and the same icetime. Hard to argue he isnt an upgrade over Coburn.

No it isn't. Edler had 10 ES points in 63 games, Coburn had 16 ES points in 82 games, so Coburn was more durable and a better point producer at even strength.

Edler was also 886th in the league in +/-. There were only 886 players in the league this year.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLSASALL&viewName=summary&sort=plusMinus&pg=30

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

Who else is available fellas? Watch Homer go hard after Boyle and overpay like he always does. Niskanen? Everyone needs a defenseman and will surely drive up his price.

How valuable IS Brayden to your team? He finally potted 20 goals, gets killed on faceoffs, also has a history of injuries....you wouldnt part with him and a 1st in this years crap shoot draft?

Finally? :laugh: This was his first full season.

True he did have a concussion but that was in his first season, it's been two years and he's taken some huge hits and has walked away. I'm not worried about injuries considering he's 22 and has only had one significant injury.

Also, for his ice time and linemates he's one of the better point producers in the league. The only upgrade in production around the league considering age, minutes and linemates is Tarasenko. Flyers might move him but it won't be in a deal for Edler.

Also, this:

No it isn't. Edler had 10 ES points in 63 games, Coburn had 16 ES points in 82 games, so Coburn was more durable and a better point producer at even strength.

Edler was also 886th in the league in +/-. There were only 886 players in the league this year.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLSASALL&viewName=summary&sort=plusMinus&pg=30

Coburn >>> Edler

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I would love Kulemin... though it is quite impossible as he will be too expensive. (~2-2.5m)

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Kulemin-Couturier-Read
Raffl-Laughton-Akeson

That 3rd would never be scored on. And:

Read-Couturier
Raffl-Kulemin
Giroux-Laughton

would be a better PK group than we currently have somehow!

There are some good 3rd and 4th line players available in UFA who could likely be had quite cheap:

Moss
Winnik
Goc
Winchester
Moore
MacKenzie
Comeau
Malhotra
Fiddler

Though I imagine Winnik will be pretty expensive after this season, someone will give him 2mill.

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014

So had Edler not been suspended and played his full 82 games, he would've surpassed Coburns ES numbers? Yes Edler had a bad year...so did the rest of the squad. Sedins had their worse production totals since they joined the league but I bet you would welcome them with open arms as you shuffle Vinny down the bench.

Now that we are getting our management/coaching re-vamped....Edler and Sedins will be back and kickin arse next year. Even though Edler only had 22 points, its still better or just as good as Coburns production the past 6 years.

and Edler is still only just turned 28. Plenty of good hockey left in him.

Again, rumour has it that Homer was going afrer Edler at the trade deadline. Perhaps he coulda helped you better against The Rags

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
Someone who I would love to bring in here this offseason is Scottie Upshall. When flyers played the Panthers at the end of the season he had a pretty good stat sheet (for him) and was responsible defensively. I would love him on a line with Read and Couts, and I think he wouldn't be all that expensive. Going on the Panthers boards they have him slotted on the 4th line. I am not sure what it would cost but I think Vinny Grossmann could actually be a possibility to trade to florida.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I would love Kulemin... though it is quite impossible as he will be too expensive. (~2-2.5m)

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Kulemin-Couturier-Read
Raffl-Laughton-Akeson

That 3rd would never be scored on. And:

Read-Couturier
Raffl-Kulemin
Giroux-Laughton

would be a better PK group than we currently have somehow!

There are some good 3rd and 4th line players available in UFA who could likely be had quite cheap:

Moss
Winnik
Goc
Winchester
Moore
MacKenzie
Comeau
Malhotra
Fiddler

Though I imagine Winnik will be pretty expensive after this season, someone will give him 2mill.

If I have to watch that line for another year there is a 100% chance i'd kill myself :help:

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
If I have to watch that line for another year there is a 100% chance i'd kill myself :help:

Yeah. It didn't work, I sincerely hope Chief doesn't continue to roll it out there. Based in what we've seen from him so far though I'd say there's about a 90 percent chance we see that line again (assumin of course Schenn and Vinny are still Flyers).

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
As talented as Yakupov may be I can't see the Flyers going down the road especially after how things went without Bryz here this year.

Much like Bryz Yakupov is quote machine who would get feasted on by the media here. I can't see the Flyers wanting that distraction again after a pretty quiet year on that front this year.

---------------

As for the Canucks poster who used Edler's suspension as an excuse of falling short of a goal, I find the fact that he's been suspended a few times in the the last few seasons as a red flag as well.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
If the Flyers decide to add a defender via free agency, I hope they target Nikita Nikitin in Columbus. The guy is a solid defender and has shown that he is capable of running a power play and has some offensive pop to his game. He's also a very good and smart defender that doesn't do anything stupid and always makes the safe play.

I honestly don't know if they should go after a forward this off season. As much as I despise Hartnell and wish they'd ship him out to Siberia, there's no other left winger on the market that would be able to replace him. Vanek is going to be incredibly expensive, Moulson thinks he's a superstar and as such, wants superstar money and Callahan simply isn't an offensive left winger. I like Cammalleri, but if you look at his career, it's been a trend of good season followed by bad season.

At this point, it might be best for the club to start working in younger players like Akeson, Alt, and Hagg. Add possibly Scott Laughton and Shayne Gostisbehere to the big club and that's five young players that they'll need to make room for.

This is the opportunity the club needs to continue the retool of the franchise that should have been done after the season from hell (06 - 07). Continue working these younger players into the lineup, give them an opportunity to have an impact and force some of the overpaid veterans to step up their game.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I am a big Niskanen fan and would love him in Philly. He is clearly the Pens best d-man and him with Coburn would be a great fit. Kimmo could then re-sign for a cheaper amount and play less minutes on the third pairing.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Niskanen will cost too much and won't fix the need for a #1. He's going to get a fortune this offseason thanks to Homer giving A-Mac so much.

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014
As talented as Yakupov may be I can't see the Flyers going down the road especially after how things went without Bryz here this year.

Much like Bryz Yakupov is quote machine who would get feasted on by the media here. I can't see the Flyers wanting that distraction again after a pretty quiet year on that front this year.

---------------

As for the Canucks poster who used Edler's suspension as an excuse of falling short of a goal, I find the fact that he's been suspended a few times in the the last few seasons as a red flag as well.
Hey...not all Swede's can be accused of being choir boys....besides, one suspension was from Taylor Hall skatin head first into Edlers elbow....honest lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad