Speculation: Potential Offseason Acquisitions III

Status
Not open for further replies.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Well they aren't over currently, so until they are, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Well with Vinny due a 2m bonus on July 1st we'll probably go over if Hexy wants changes made before then, unless we can throw in 2m cold cash in a Vinny trade to cover the bonus.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Matt read is too good with couturier to trade him

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
Bellemare-Laughton-Umberger
Raffl-FA-Akeson/fa

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'm expecting a July 2 deal, as well. Handshake deal on July 1 and make it official once the bonus cheque is issued.

Another thing to remember: anything the Flyers get for Lecavalier is gravy since they gave up no assets to get him. Get a 3rd, package it with their existing 2nd and get to the top of the 2nd round to nab one of the fallers, like DeAngelo.

martz11

Mar 5, 2013
PA
Kings/Gaborik deal makes sense given the situation of the team right now. Flyers/Vanek would not. Kings are in realistic position to win cups over the next ~3 to 4 years. Flyers are much more of a long shot at this point.

Also, maybe it's just me but I would take Gaborik over Vanek.

How can you say were a "longshot" when time and time again some 4,5 or 6 seed from the east makes the finals? The east is wide open at this point with the only real threat every season the Bruins.

I mean the Flyers just lost in 7 games to the East Champions and it might have been a different story if Mason starts the first three games. Were not as far off as you believe we are. Things are never as great as they seem and never as bad as they seem. 1 or 2 players can put you over the top in this league.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
How can you say were a "longshot" when time and time again some 4,5 or 6 seed from the east makes the finals? The east is wide open at this point with the only real threat every season the Bruins.

I mean the Flyers just lost in 7 games to the East Champions and it might have been a different story if Mason starts the first three games. Were not as far off as you believe we are. Things are never as great as they seem and never as bad as they seem. 1 or 2 players can put you over the top in this league.

The Flyers need more forward depth (and probably another gamebreaker/elite forward) and an elite defenseman before this group can really take the next step towards becoming a true Stanley Cup contender. Unfortunately, elite defensemen and gamebreaking forwards are what just about every team is looking for.

The Flyers have a good group of talent in a lot of areas, but they don't have nearly enough depth or top end talent to take on the likes of Chicago, LA or Boston in a 7 games series. Hell, the Rangers are much deeper than the Flyers and they were throttled in the Finals.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA

With that said, who backs up the Flyers this year? Do you think Hexy gives Emery another shot?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I think Hextall already stated (internally) that Emery will not be offered a contract. He has to go cheaper...somebody for 900K-1MM

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Well with Vinny due a 2m bonus on July 1st we'll probably go over if Hexy wants changes made before then, unless we can throw in 2m cold cash in a Vinny trade to cover the bonus.

That doesn't hit the cap. The cap is an average. The bonus and salary is the actual money. Teams will still stay away from the 2MM bonus.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I think Hextall already stated (internally) that Emery will not be offered a contract. He has to go cheaper...somebody for 900K-1MM

Ah, I haven't been able to watch/read all of what he's been saying. Seems to go with Hextall's financial-first mentality.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/_/id/5178/chad-johnson

i

flyersfromquebec

Jul 22, 2012
I had a dream:

Hextall make jets gm smoke some crack...then trade Grossmann, lecavalier, Umberger, 1st 2014, 1st 2015 for Kane and Buf.

FORWARDS
Evander Kane ($5.250m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Brayden Schenn ($2.500m) / Scott Laughton ($0.863m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Jason Akeson ($0.715m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Michael Raffl ($1.100m) / Nick Cousins ($0.812m) / Pierre-Edouard Bellemare ($0.600m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dustin Byfuglien ($5.200m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Andrew MacDonald ($5.000m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Kimmo Timonen ($2.000m)
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Chad Johnson ($0.850m)
BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
LTIR
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$345,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,560,000; BONUSES: $1,795,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $6,540,000

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
That doesn't hit the cap. The cap is an average. The bonus and salary is the actual money. Teams will still stay away from the 2MM bonus.

I know that. I'm saying he won't be traded before the bonus is paid, therefore if Hextall wants to add sooner we will go over the cap.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I know that. I'm saying he won't be traded before the bonus is paid, therefore if Hextall wants to add sooner we will go over the cap.

Oh ok. Its possible. But they don't have a ton of spots to fill. Upgrade? Yes. But fill, no. He doesn't have to rush into anything.

GingerFetish

Feb 26, 2013
http://capgeek.com/armchair-gm/roster/28624

How crazy am I?

We ship out Coburn, Vinny, #17 Pick, and possibly Scott Laughton for Aaron Ekblad.

Go out and sign Danny Carcillo, Mason Raymon and Dan Boyle

Resign Adam Hall.

With Zac and Carcillo we can easily alternate between a speedy hard working great 4th line of PEB / Hall / Raffl

or throw Zac and Carcillo in to really get things going energy wise / get under EVERYONES skin.

With Mark Streit, Kimmo and Dan Boyle, Ekblad will have ALL the guidance and leadership and veteran presence he could possibly need.

tsquad

Jul 2, 2006
This is a great analysis, but adding Kane would allow Jake to go to second line to distribute the lines better, and Kane is a virtual lock for 40+ with Giroux. If they are thinking short term and long term, Kane makes us a much better team now and for the next 4 years at minimum.

Kane-G- Simmer
Read-Couts-Jake

Wait what? On what planet? It's possible but far from definite...let's stick with Schenn and see what happens.

RJ8812*

http://capgeek.com/armchair-gm/roster/28624

How crazy am I?

We ship out Coburn, Vinny, #17 Pick, and possibly Scott Laughton for Aaron Ekblad.

Go out and sign Danny Carcillo, Mason Raymon and Dan Boyle

Resign Adam Hall.

With Zac and Carcillo we can easily alternate between a speedy hard working great 4th line of PEB / Hall / Raffl

or throw Zac and Carcillo in to really get things going.

we get rid of Hartnell, and then you want to bring in an even bigger target for penalties?

GingerFetish

Feb 26, 2013
we get rid of Hartnell, and then you want to bring in an even bigger target for penalties?

He and Zac will be playing one out of every few games.

I doubt he'd take that many penalties when he has that much time to mentally prepare between games.

He really got under the Flyers skin in the recent series vs the Rangers, and I think he and Zac can probably be the most agitating duo in the league if they are set on it.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Eklund reporting the big push for Byfuglien. Considering we just moved Hartnell in good part for his fitness habits, how does fugli make sense?

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Buff was in great shape last year and would put some spark into a very dull blueline. He'd net 20 goals and 60pts playing on the PP and top pair here and throw some wicked checks. He's not perfect but better then anything we have right now not including kids.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
kane is just trying to get out of that dive called Winnipeg. he would add speed that we don't have and a selfish shot that he'd take everytime G passed to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad