Speculation: Potential Offseason Acquisitions III

Status
Not open for further replies.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Curious what it would take to land a Bogosian+Kane package. It would be a massive package but those two become integral parts of the core. I'd include anyone outside of Giroux/Couturier/Simmonds/Voracek/Morin/Ghost/Mason.

I'd probably go as high as Schenn + Schenn + Hagg + Cousins + 1st 14.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Would anyone do Vinny for Sean Bergenheim if Florida is the target? He has one year left on his deal in Florida. He could be a low risk option at left wing for the bottom six.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...ane-just-favorited-a-kane-to-the-flyers-tweet

You know it's that time of the year again when people lose their minds over absolutely nothing :laugh:

Kane is becoming the new Bobby Ryan...

Or is it all a feint so that we can trade for Ryan without anyone paying attention?

EDIT:

On a side note, look at the poll. They just toss Coburn in seemingly for the **** of it.

I wish Coburn wasn't so important to our team being as valuable on the open market as he really is. That's the point though. People want Coburn because he's so valuable a commodity. I hate Flyers fans sometimes.

BleedOrange

BuildThroughTheDraft
Aug 14, 2005
Oshawa Ontario
I believe what ever hextall does will be good for us just like the Hartnell trade doesn't look good now but down the road when we have to resign the core guys it will be a good move.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Kane's attitude sucks, the media will destroy him if he doesn't smarten up, but we will have the best 1st line in the NHL if we get him. Pros and Cons

Brayden and 1st would be my offer, Jets will ask for Brayden and Laughton imo

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
It's quite amazing that most players seem to have such openly positive views on playing for Philly.

Fans hate the team, the city, and the fans. Players seem to love it. Funny how that works out. :laugh:

EDIT: No thanks to giving up BSchenn in a Kane deal, though. I just have no desire to give up what it'd take.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
It's quite amazing that most players seem to have such openly positive views on playing for Philly.

Fans hate the team, the city, and the fans. Players seem to love it. Funny how that works out. :laugh:

EDIT: No thanks to giving up BSchenn in a Kane deal, though. I just have no desire to give up what it'd take.

If the long term plan is to play Schenn with Giroux you might as well trade him for a much better winger in Kane.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Time to think like Moneyball.

Schenn will put up 40-60 points if on the 1st line LW...for $2.5 mill
Kane would put up 50-70 but at 5 mill.
And we lose the pick.

KEEP Schenn and have him there all year as our #1LW. If he breaks out...great. If he stays at the 40 point mark...try and add Ryan for free next year once Schenn shows that he CAN'T play #1LW beside Giroux.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
If the long term plan is to play Schenn with Giroux you might as well trade him for a much better winger in Kane.

For the guys that don't watch him, faster than any Flyer we have had in a long time. Selfish and shoots from everywhere, not a big PP guy ( could fill Harts role) , good pk er. Did I mention fast :amazed:

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

And we lose the pick.

KEEP Schenn and have him there all year as our #1LW. If he breaks out...great. If he stays at the 40 point mark...try and add Ryan for free next year once Schenn shows that he CAN'T play #1LW beside Giroux.

This is a great analysis, but adding Kane would allow Jake to go to second line to distribute the lines better, and Kane is a virtual lock for 40+ with Giroux. If they are thinking short term and long term, Kane makes us a much better team now and for the next 4 years at minimum.

Kane-G- Simmer
Read-Couts-Jake

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
One side note. Say the Flyers sign Vanek(I know, it's a hypothetical) to a deal around 40 million for 7 years. Close to the same value as Gabby's but Vanek is the better player and is one year younger. How much would people want to bet the Flyers would be laughed out from other fans and such for the signing but the signing of Gabby would still be praised.

2014-06-14T045551Z_949274790_GM1EA6E0ZU801_RTRMADP_3_NHL.jpg

Night and day comparison given the players and team status. Gaborik arguably put the Kings over the top by stepping up in the playoffs. Vanek, conversely, hurt his value with his mediocre playoff performance. Plus, as was said, the two teams are demonstrably in different strata for competing for next year's Cup.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

Pretty much for this reason:

And we lose the pick.

The upgrade from Kane to BSchenn isn't worth the extra cost.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I dont want to trade Matt Read, i think he should be playing with Akeson and i think that he will likely put up 30 goals.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Well if all goes to plan with Schenn, you'll be paying him that money in 2 years regardless.

Yea and maybe the 17th pick turns out to be a good player.

The Kane thing is getting crazy. I think he is a good player but people make him out as a superstar.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

And we lose the pick.

I don't even like B. Schenn and I'm in full agreement. It's time to build smart and a the proposed deals for Kane are not shrewd moves.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

And we lose the pick.

I wouldn't trade Schenn + the 17th pick, but I would certainly do something like the Schenns plus a mid round pick. It's not quite as simple as breaking it down to 40-60 points versus 50-70 points with the attached price tags. Kane's skill set makes him much more of a gamebreaker. Schenn is always going to have to manufacture points because he doesn't have the speed or hands to flat out beat many defensemen in this league. With Kane, you have a guy that can produce goals just on god given talent. That makes the offense much more difficult to deal with.

Plus, as someone else pointed out, the move would allow us to move Jake off Giroux's line if we wanted to spread out the offense. We'd also bring on another natural winger versus hoping Schenn can make the transition from center to wing without a drop in production.

Like I said, the Schenn + 17th deal is a no-go for me, but I wouldn't dismiss Kane simply as something we don't need.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
I don't care when Vinny's moved, as long as it's before October.

The thing that worries me is going over the cap before he's traded, then teams really know we need a dump. Not that his value is that high now, but isn't it better to dump sooner than later and have his value truly at rock bottom? Or is it all equal? Seems like Hexy should wait to add until he has the space, instead of going the Homer route. I never agreed with that, am I needlessly concerned with it?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The thing that worries me is going over the cap before he's traded, then teams really know we need a dump. Not that his value is that high now, but isn't it better to dump sooner than later and have his value truly at rock bottom? Or is it all equal? Seems like Hexy should wait to add until he has the space, instead of going the Homer route. I never agreed with that, am I needlessly concerned with it?

Well they aren't over currently, so until they are, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad