Speculation: Potential Offseason Acquisitions II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There's no way Jones is available. If Edmonton thinks Coburn is worth two seconds, then there is no way that the first proposal would work either.

Really don't think it'd be worth it for the Flyers to try and trade for anyone. The franchise lacks sufficient depth to make any significant trades. Move the guys with no place, Grossman and Vinny, and sign some competent fillers. The most reasonable course of action is to allow a chance for continued development. That means patiently waiting for another one or two seasons as guys like the Schenns try to hack it with increased playing time. PATIENCE. Everyone needs practice saying that word.

I honestly think we're in for a rather boring offseason from a Flyers standpoint to be honest which is totally fine by me.

Brayden could be traded if things go south with his negotiations but other than I just see Hextall "trimming the fat" like he said & calling it an offseason.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
How's this?
• Coburn + 17th + Grossmann to EDM for 3rd + Klefbom
• 3rd + BSchenn to NASH for Jones

Jones – Streit
LSchenn – MacDonald
Timonen – Klefbom

Plus a huge cap savings to fill in the LW for Giroux.

I hope you don't take this personaly, and it's more directed towards everybody loving this trade:

The Oilers would never ever do that trade.
Klefbom for Coburn is something they'd do I think. Even with something added from their site. Which leaves the rest at 17th OA and Grossmann for the 3rd OA.

As much as we make fun of them overvalueing their players, you and everybody agreeing just did the same thing.

The Preds also have zero reason to trade Jones.
He's going to hit his prime just when Weber is going to regress.
They will probably have the best defender in the league for the next 15years with those two guys.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Also regarding O'Reilly, I find it hysterical how Feaster's mark is all over this one. Without his blunder of an offer sheet, O'Reilly's qualifying offer would have been nowhere near 6.5m, and the Avs wouldn't have opted for club elected arbitration.

Really, it makes a lot of business sense to pursue this path for the Avs, but they should have known it would have been a highly flammable situation given ROR's nature. Lots of blame to go around there. Should be a very fun situation to keep track of.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Bout to leave work but saw dater now thinks ROR will be traded after talking it over with a few people. We were one team that was extremely interested in him before and I want him now!@!!!

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
If his impatience fueled Holmgren's constant trading of picks and prospects until the team was in a desperate situation, that's the only situation needed.

And this constant forcing of GMs ( or was it only Holmgren?) to do what he wants is evidenced by what?

The Flyers ownership and mgm have put the team in a position to win a Cup more than a lot of other franchises, but the players failed to deliver in the end.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
And this constant forcing of GMs ( or was it only Holmgren?) to do what he wants is evidenced by what?

The Flyers ownership and mgm have put the team in a position to win a Cup more than a lot of other franchises, but the players failed to deliver in the end.

Again, that's why I said IF.

And also provided the story of a user here providing a story of Snider demanding dmen be acquired immediately with photo evidence to back it up, but I also recognize it as a poor source.

I'm merely presenting the possibility. Hence, the IF.

And also the fact that he was clearly not willing to wait for Bob to develop and very clearly was the driving force behind the Bryz signing, especially since going after the big FA goalie runs contrary to Homer's established methods for G acquisition. That's the most concrete evidence.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Well he's on record boosting about how he was the one who made the Bryz signing happen when it initially went down only to do a complete 180 a year & a half later to try to wipe his hands free of the situation when the signing turned into a disaster.

Edit: Here's a link breaking down the said contradiction by Snider.
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/17/flyers-owner-snider-i-didnt-pick-bryz/

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Well he's on record boosting about how he was the one who made the Bryz signing happen when it initially went down only to do a complete 180 a year later & try to wipe his hands free of the situation.

And to expand on this and my own post, that Bryz signing was out of character for Homer.

Homer goes for projects in net, guys who he hopes will be reliable yet cheap; often attempts at redemption via change of scenery and team. Biron fit that mold...then Emery. Leighton was a rather unfortunate attempt. Bob did as well, and so does the Mason acquisition. Vokoun would have been Homer's most likely target that offseason if left to his own devices...but he wasn't, so he broke his own pretty well-established pattern and made a big splash with Bryz. Based on Homer's usual goalie preferences and Snider's very public comments and clear Dan Snyderish behavior to lure Bryz in, I'd say it's pretty clear who was the driving force there.

Unfortunately that splash was in a septic pit.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Here's the interview that's got Avs fans in a buzz.

They start talking about ROR around 6:05

My understanding is that the Avs made a smart business decision taking ROR to arb (they lose nothing even if the arbitrator sides with O'Reilly), but ROR and his agent (based on some comments in the video) appear to be taking it as an affront on O'Reilly and his value to the Avalanche.

So from a dollars and cents stand point, you can't really criticize the Avs for doing this, but they should have known that given the difficulty of their last negotiations that ROR would not take it too well going to arbitration again.

That situation sucks for the Avs because he isn't worth 6.5 right now, that's all on Feaster and it's going to cost the Avs dearly in the end. It's strange though, the arbitrator can only rule 15% lower than the 6.5, so is any possible animosity with a player worth 1m in the grand scheme of things?

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
That situation sucks for the Avs because he isn't worth 6.5 right now, that's all on Feaster and it's going to cost the Avs dearly in the end. It's strange though, the arbitrator can only rule 15% lower than the 6.5, so is any possible animosity with a player worth 1m in the grand scheme of things?

What do you think he's worth? He's really good...

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
He's only 23yrs old...6.5mil is a lot...his cap hit is 5mil. He did put up 64pts this season so 5mil would be reasonable.
He's an RFA so whatever Colarado offers he will take unless another team(Like the Flyers) offer more...:naughty:

I don't care how old he is. He's worth that. Two and a third seasons of great play.

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
Again, that's why I said IF.

And also provided the story of a user here providing a story of Snider demanding dmen be acquired immediately with photo evidence to back it up, but I also recognize it as a poor source.

I'm merely presenting the possibility. Hence, the IF.

And also the fact that he was clearly not willing to wait for Bob to develop and very clearly was the driving force behind the Bryz signing, especially since going after the big FA goalie runs contrary to Homer's established methods for G acquisition. That's the most concrete evidence.

Well he's on record boosting about how he was the one who made the Bryz signing happen when it initially went down only to do a complete 180 a year & a half later to try to wipe his hands free of the situation when the signing turned into a disaster.

Edit: Here's a link breaking down the said contradiction by Snider.
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/17/flyers-owner-snider-i-didnt-pick-bryz/

So, let's just say that Snider is 100%responsible for Bryz. What are some other examples of his constant meddling that has prevented the team from winning a Cup in the last 40 years?

IF Snider was acting in such a way, I'm sure we can find another example.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
So, let's just say that Snider is 100%responsible for Bryz. What are some other examples of his constant meddling that has prevented the team from winning a Cup in the last 40 years?

IF Snider was acting in such a way, I'm sure we can find another example.

Well as noted by Beef the amount of evidence other than Bryz signing isn't really concrete. It's mostly just hearsay which is left up for individual's interpretation.

People have come & gone in the last 40 years but the only person that has remained here through that time is Snider so naturally people are going to point fingers at him & rightfully so.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Well as noted by Beef the amount of evidence other than Bryz signing isn't really concrete. It's mostly just hearsay which is left up for individual's interpretation.

People have come & gone in the last 40 years but the only person that has remained here through that time is Snider so naturally people are going to point fingers at him & rightfully.

I sort of look at it this way....what owners do you ever hear from? Very rarely from any of them. Yet Snider is always spouting off when things are not going our way. I don't think he has been a puppet master or anything, but for sure he had made his opinion known on what he thinks we should do. And when you boss is strongly saying things, you need to come up with LOTS of evidence to prove why NOT to do what ED wants.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
So one time 20 goal scorers now start at 6.5 per? I would hate to see your NHL. How much is Brayden Schenn worth in your league?

What? I don't really understand why you mentioned Schenn. Not a comparable player. Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_O'Reilly_(ice_hockey)#Career_statistics

He's had two and a third seasons of first line production with excellent defensive play. He's a really good all around player and deserves to get paid like one.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
This 5 days Morris was talking about, that mean all UFA can talk to new teams on the 26th this year ?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
Compare his first couple of seasons to Schenns first couple of seasons.

Schenn isn't what ROR is now. He might eventually (probably, with better linemates) be, but he's not. ROR is going to get paid for his results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad