Potential HOF QB's?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Not a real accomplishment considering he also played the most seasons at QB for the Lions ; and in the era of pass first run second.

not a real accomplishment lol? ok.... If he was not a great QB he would not have the opportunity to play all those years in Detroit.

also just grabbed three Rams franchise records for most TDs, Yards and Pass completions for a season.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
No to all three for me so far.

Stafford still has plenty of years ahead of him and a team that he can make a case. If we wins a SB or two, and is MVP in one of them I think he can make it. By the time he is done he could be top 5 in TDs and Yards.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
not a real accomplishment lol? ok.... If he was not a great QB he would not have the opportunity to play all those years in Detroit.

also just grabbed three Rams franchise records for most TDs, Yards and Pass completions for a season.

It only took an extra game and a league that enables passing to a degree not imagined 20 years ago.

BTW, he didnt break Warner's TD record, he tied it at 41.

He beat Warner's yards record by a whopping 56 yards...in 17 games vs 16.

and for the record, plenty of good at best QBs are starters for long periods, especially on s**t teams. See Ryan Fitzpatrick, Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, Jay Cutler

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Wilson has also been NFL Man of the Year, so if there is any question, that will end it.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It only took an extra game and a league that enables passing to a degree not imagined 20 years ago.

and for the record, plenty of good at best QBs are starters for long periods, especially on s**t teams. See Ryan Fitzpatrick, Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, Jay Cutler

Stafford is x100 the QB out of Fitzpatrick, Smith, Dalton and Cutler.

Reactions: Voight and DaaaaB's

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Stafford has accumulated a lot of stats, but when you really look at them he is pretty much Kirk Cousins with an extra 3-4 seasons worth of stats, if anything Cousins has actually been a little bit better, so Stafford needs to win a SB or two to be HOF worthy to me

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004

Warner also had two HOF receivers, hof LT and a hof RB who was one of the best receiving backs ever.

I don't think Stafford is hall worthy just yet but he's not far off. I wouldn't read too much into the lack of pro bowls, he was snubbed a few times. Played behind some bad offensive lines and other than Megatron didn't have any good receivers until Tate showed up. If he wins on Sunday and stays healthy enough to play 3-5 more years at his current level then he'll get in.

Reactions: Voight

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The championship really makes a difference. Right now, if he retired today, he'd be the QB with the most career passing yards (ranks 14th all-time) and a SB title to not be in the hall. As DaaaaB's said above, if he plays a few more years... 3 more years with around 4,000 yards each gets him in Marino/Rivers territory, and they're like 6 and 7 in career yards. Five more years around 4,000 and he's only behind Brady, Brees, Manning and Favre I think (depending on what Rogers does, of course, and, to a lesser extent, Ryan).

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I like both Matt Ryan and Matt Stafford, but neither of them belong in the HOF imo. Especially Ryan, in the biggest moments he just cant get it done. I think Stafford has a chance, but as of now he isnt.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Folks really need to stop comparing the yards of current QBs to those in the past, it truly is apples and oranges with how much the league has neutered defenses.

The NFL right now for passing is like the 80s NHL. Stats are inflated to video game levels to the point where 4,000 yards is an average QB today. 10-15 QBs reach 4,000 yards each season

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Folks really need to stop comparing the yards of current QBs to those in the past, it truly is apples and oranges with how much the league has neutered defenses.

The NFL right now for passing is like the 80s NHL. Stats are inflated to video game levels to the point where 4,000 yards is an average QB today. 10-15 QBs reach 4,000 yards each season
Lets talk about interceptions then. Stafford has a much better interception rate than Marino, Elway, Favre and Aikman. Better than Montana and Young too. There's a bunch of current or recently retired QBs who have a better rate than Stafford.

Stafford also has a 67.2% completion rate. Young is the highest of those guys at 64.3%. Elway had a whopping 56.9%. So yeah QBs throw the ball more now but they're also much more efficient at it.

Last edited:

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Lets talk about interceptions then. Stafford has a much better interception rate than Marino, Elway, Favre and Aikman. Better than Montana and Young too. There's a bunch of current or recently retired QBs who have a better rate than Stafford.

Stafford also has a 67.2% completion rate. Young is the highest of those guys at 64.3%. Elway had a whopping 56.9%. So yeah QBs throw the ball more now but they're also much more efficient at it.
He's not a HOF. He's never been near the top 5, let alone the best at his position.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

As a big Stafford fan (because a lions fan), all of this still really goes hand-in-hand with the game being totally different.

He needs to be compared with his contemporaries. It's tough to do right now because so many people want to point to his wins and losses and blame him. That argument took a HUGE hit this year, but I think we just need to wait. Give him some more time playing for not-the-worst-franchise-in-all-of-sports, and see how he looks.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
He's not a HOF. He's never been near the top 5, let alone the best at his position.
Looking at this year:
Yards: 3rd
TDs: 2nd
Rating: 6th
QBR: 4th
Super Bowl Champion

How is that not near top-5?

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Looking at this year:
Yards: 3rd
TDs: 2nd
Rating: 6th
QBR: 4th
Super Bowl Champion

How is that not near top-5?
He's not a top 5 QB.

Rodgers
Brady
Mahomed
Allen
Wilson

Are all better. Then there's another handful of QBs that you can argue about.

Point is he's never been in that top rung of QBs. So he has no business sniffing the HOF

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
tafford also has a 67.2% completion rate. Young is the highest of those guys at 64.3%. Elway had a whopping 56.9%. So yeah QBs throw the ball more now but they're also much more efficient at i
The game has changed dramatically in the last 20 years. Receivers don't get hit anywhere near to the extent they did in the past and are allowed to run done the field relatively untouched. As well QBs in general throw many more short passes instead of running the ball which builds up the stat sheets. For example Elway averaged almost 1 yard more than Stafford on caught balls over each one's career.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
49ers News: Richard Sherman unloads on Matthew Stafford

Richard Sherman is 100% correct. Stafford is not a hofer, and never will be.

People talking about a guy with 1 pro bowl and 1 CPOY award to his name as deserving when guys with 7 pro bowls and 5 all pros can’t even get in right now.
i agree that stafford shouldn't be a HOF'er unless he puts up another 4-5 solid seasons. but after this SB win i'd be very surprised if he doesn't get in

ryan shouldn't be in either but like stafford, i'm certain he will. plus, if they let rivers in i don't see how they don't let ryan in either

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Again, it's due to the change in the rules and not being able to mug receivers on short routes.

That "67% completion rate" was good 10th this year.

To put that in perspective...Tua and Jimmy G both had a higher completion % this season. Goff had the same % at 67.2

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Now that Stafford has 1, if he gets another it won't matter, he will definitely be in.

If he keeps getting to play with prime and healthy Cooper Kupp, that will only help.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

I agree with this but the point is we're/they're in the process of setting these new stat achievements for eligibility. So how many yards can a QB have passed for and not get in the Hall? How many yards can a QB with on ring have passed for and not get in? Two SBs? We're going to get answers to those questions. I feel like that's what this conversation is about.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
The borderline tier to me is Rivers, Ryan, Stafford and Eli. So you either leave them all out and say that there's too many good QBs in their era, that even great ones like that that can't make it. Or you put them all in and the cutoff line becomes Flacco, Romo, Newton, etc. I would lean towards leaving Rivers, Ryan, Stafford, Eli OUT. The QBs have to be compared to this era and with Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Ben, Wilson, etc. there's too many guys in front of them.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I've already said he shouldn't be in the hall but he could be if he has a few more good seasons. And he has been near top 5 including this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad