Potential HOF QB's?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Newton had a short peak/prime so I doubt he gets in, at least while Cunningham for example is waiting.

Stafford is in either way IMO. I expect more deep runs from the Rams in the next 2/3 years.

Ryan will probably have the big numbers people like to see but outside of his MVP year has ever been talked about as a top 5 QB?

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Newton had a short peak/prime so I doubt he gets in, at least while Cunningham for example is waiting.

Stafford is in either way IMO. I expect more deep runs from the Rams in the next 2/3 years.

Ryan will probably have the big numbers people like to see but outside of his MVP year has ever been talked about as a top 5 QB?

Plus Ryan has the stain of 28-3

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Ryan will get in. He is 9th all-time in TD passes and passing yards at this point and he has shot of hitting 400 passing TD's

If Rivers is future HOF as many media people argue then Ryan is easy yes

Stafford SB win would likely cement him a spot in HOF. If he doesn't win he needs a couple more years to get at Ryan/Rivers level of likely shoe in but probably waits a bit for enshrinement

Cam, LOL no but I am sure a few people will try some bullshit "He revolutionized position" nonsense

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
a spot in HOF..
Cam, LOL no but I am sure a few people will try some bullshit "He revolutionized position" nonsense

I remember in 2011, just a couple games in to sCam's first season, Bleacher Report had a useless article, already advocating for sCam's imminent place in the Hall of Fame.

It predicted sCam would be in Canton, because he was a strong, humble leader, and because of unparalleled athleticism. The article is probably still shamelessly floating around the web. It's a good primer for low-information fans to see how the sports media fawns over the "game changers".. and never admit their biases, or failed predictions.
Incidentally, did Jaworski ever walk back his drooling, hot take that Kaepernick would be the "greatest QB ever" (?)

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i think ryan gets in for sure, but he would've been a no-brainer to everyone had the falcons won that SB

if the rams win, stafford gets in for sure. if not, i think he's borderline unless he puts up another 3-4 strong seasons

newton is nowhere close to HOF material

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Stafford would need to win multiple or me. Putting up empty stats for a decade because you have Calvin Johnson in his prime for most of it doesn’t do it for me.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Stafford would need to win multiple or me. Putting up empty stats for a decade because you have Calvin Johnson in his prime for most of it doesn’t do it for me.
This.

I don't get the hype for MS. He's not HoF as of now.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ryan is definitely getting in. I don’t see it for Cam. His height was shorter and in the biggest game of his life he played like shit.

Stafford - I don’t know I feel he’s better than Eli but Eli is only getting in because he became God in two runs where he got to beat Brady. Stafford may have to win twice, or at least get to another because then more voters will buy into the notion that if he wasn’t on the Lions then he would have a better resume. And the way the NFC is looking (assuming Rodgers leaves), he’s going to have valid claim to being the best quarterback in the conference to do it.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ryan is definitely getting in. I don’t see it for Cam. His height was shorter and in the biggest game of his life he played like shit.

Stafford - I don’t know I feel he’s better than Eli but Eli is only getting in because he became God in two runs where he got to beat Brady. Stafford may have to win twice, or at least get to another because then more voters will buy into the notion that if he wasn’t on the Lions then he would have a better resume. And the way the NFC is looking (assuming Rodgers leaves), he’s going to have valid claim to being the best quarterback in the conference to do it.

He'll have the high volume stats for sure.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
The HoF, not the Hall of Very Good. No on Stafford (unless he has a huge 3-5 year run & wins a couple SBs), no on Ryan, no on the rest.

I'm a no on Rivers as well.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Rivers is in, he's better than everyone listed

Cam might not be in, but more people will be talking about him in 10 years than anyone else listed here.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don't like the idea of either Ryan and Stafford getting in and think both were/are great. Newton is even more absurd. Way too short a peak and that peak wasn't ridiculous to the point that it should overcome it, like say a Tim Thomas - who should definitely be in the HOF.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I don't follow the NFL, but I'm surprised Russell Wilson's name hasn't been mentioned...

9x Pro Bowler... is he a lock for induction?

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
The OP was just mentioning borderline guys.

Wilson is a guy everyone expects to get in.

I would've thought so, but I really have no idea what the standard is...

Skimming through the thread I saw that Cunningham isn't in, which is surprising... 3x MVP runner-up

Is he the best eligible QB not in the Hall of Fame?

Reactions: BigBadBruins7708

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
In what world is Matt Stafford even close to being a HOF quarterback?

He of 1 pro bowl, 0 All Pros, 0 MVP votes and 0 times leading any statistical category of consequence

At first, off the top of my head, I figured Stafford because of the stats but I am swayed by this for sure.

Only because of the league rules drastically favoring passing and throwing to Calvin Johnson for a decade

But not this. Having Johnson surely mattered, but Stafford is now the QB for the two most prolific yardage seasons by an NFL receiver. Kupp is crazy good, too, but Stafford gets some credit there.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I think if Stafford wins the SB he would be in talk for the HOF. I know everyone says he had Megatron to throw to but lets not get it twisted he still had to throw the ball to him accurately and while under immense pressure as that O line was trash forever.

I like his list of NFL achievements thus far. They are not mind blowing by any means but they add some legitimacy to a HOF bid if he wins a SB.

Most passing touchdowns in a single game by a rookie quarterback: 5 (tied )
Youngest quarterback to throw for at least five touchdowns in a single game (21 years, 288 days)
First player in NFL history to complete 60% or more of all passes in each game in a season (2015)
Most consecutive 350+ yards passing games: 4 (2011–2012, tied with Drew Brees)[
Fastest player to reach 20,000 career passing yards (71 games played)
Fastest player to reach 25,000 career passing yards (90 games played)
Fastest player to reach 30,000 career passing yards (109 games played)
Fastest player to reach 35,000 career passing yards (126 games played)
Fastest player to reach 40,000 career passing yards (147 games played)
Fastest player to reach 45,000 career passing yards (165 games played)
Fastest player to reach 3,000 completions (125 games played)
Most fourth-quarter comebacks in a season: 8 (2016)
Most game-winning drives in a single season: 8 (2016)
Also sitting in the top ten for most game winning drives in NFL history tied at 7 with Matt Ryan.

Lions franchise achievments:

I think he owns every QB franchise record for the lions lol. 30 by my count. wont bother to list them.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
But not this. Having Johnson surely mattered, but Stafford is now the QB for the two most prolific yardage seasons by an NFL receiver. Kupp is crazy good, too, but Stafford gets some credit there.
Stafford only gets credit for giving his #1 receivers lots of targets. Johnson averaged 10 targets per game for his whole career . ( catch rate of only 55.7%) Kupp saw his targets increase by over 2 1/2 per game this year with Stafford. ( His catch rate was basically the same as 2020)

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I think he owns every QB franchise record for the lions lol. 30 by my count. wont bother to list them
Not a real accomplishment considering he also played the most seasons at QB for the Lions ; and in the era of pass first run second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad