Rumor: Potential Goalie to Minnesota in the "next few days"

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
To me a very good fit would be Korpisalo. He is a Finn like Kahkonen and could be a great mentor for Kahkonen. You split their games next season and then hopefully the season after that Kahkonen can become a starter, or the season after. Korpisalo has a very nice, affordable contract at $2.8 for each of the next 2 years.

For Columbus, they gave up a ton of draft picks last season so they need that. Minnesota just added a 3rd and a 5th from SJ so they can afford to trade some picks for Korpisalo. Win, win for both teams...

I somehow feel like it's more likely to be Rask or Rinne for the same reasons you've made for Korpisalo. Not much smoke connecting those guys to Minny though.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I somehow feel like it's more likely to be Rask or Rinne for the same reasons you've made for Korpisalo. Not much smoke connecting those guys to Minny though.
I think any serviceable goalie with short term that's being traded by a "motivated" team is probably worth looking at for Minnesota, and Rask qualifies. Rinne... I'm less sure about these days.

Either way, the goal here shouldn't be to make a huge investment and solve our goaltending long term. We should just be trying to upgrade from Dubnyk to league-average and give Kahkonen a route to play himself into a starter role if he can. If he can't you reevaluate after a year and see where to go next, but paying for Suter/Spurgeon/Brodin so that you can also give up premium assets and/or massive cap space for a goalie makes little sense.

Reactions: Fig and GirthBrooks

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Kovanov, Addison and a 2nd
for the 1 year of Anderson at 1m real cash
bdd.jpg

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I am, the problem is for the life of me I don't know what I'd be willing to give up yet. the cap hit is fine, I'm still concerned with age though.

In another thread, my offer involves asking for 2 2nd round picks for 3.5M Fleury.
Not sure if that is too high. Detroit would be willing to add 3rd or 2nd round picks to get a higher pick... just something to think about.

In regards to age... Fleury obviously is getting near the end of his career, so you wont have him for more than 4-5 years at best. So he is likely a quality (semi quality?) starter for 2 years. And at 3.5M gives you room to make other deals.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
In another thread, my offer involves asking for 2 2nd round picks for 3.5M Fleury.
Not sure if that is too high. Detroit would be willing to add 3rd or 2nd round picks to get a higher pick... just something to think about.

In regards to age... Fleury obviously is getting near the end of his career, so you wont have him for more than 4-5 years at best. So he is likely a quality (semi quality?) starter for 2 years. And at 3.5M gives you room to make other deals.
If a team like Detroit is going to retain cap for Fleury I'd expect Vegas to be the one paying the most to get rid of him since they rid his cap completely.

A trade I saw on the Wild boards went:

(VGK) Flower + 1st <--> Detroit future considerations

(DET) Flower 50% <--> 3rd from Minnesota.

Is a 1st and a 3rd enough for Detroit for 50% of the cap?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
He belongs in Seattle, so they can play up the "Release the Kahkonen" angle.

One of the reasons the wild shouldnt be trading picks to acquire any current NHL'er -expansion- this is gonna be a short season. Let kahkonen have a kick at the can and protect him, and potentially trade some guys u won't be able to protect for picks/prospects. Then when expansion is over add guys of value and your younger guys who have had time to develop.

Last edited:

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Get Lundqvist eh. His best friend Zucc is already there, some swedes and IIRC a lot of swedes/people with swedish heritage lives there.

It's somewhat unrealistic because i think he'd prefer a contending team. At the same time in Minnesota he'd probably be #1 and he wants to play. Also aforementioned stuff like Zuccarello.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
MN doesn't want to be paying an aging goalie for his past glories. They could use a reasonably priced, reasonably competent G to pair with Kahkonen on a short term contract. With the goalie market being saturated, there is no need for them to overpay for said help, and might actually get paid to take a goalie. I would think that Rask, Kuemper, Crawford and Lundquist would be profoundly disinterested in coming to MN. Fluery and Murray possible fits due to previous relationship with Guerin. Andersen possibly a fit. Demko not so much.

I would hope that Guerin would be predatory, and take advantage of a team's desperation to shed cap, rather than take the perfect goalie for next year, which might well be a shortened, dog's breakfast of a season anyway, and one in which MN will not be a contender. The role of the acquired goalie is to be a good 1A with Kahkonen, so he he doesn't get overworked and gets a good chance at showing if he can be the goalie of the future for the Wild.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
MN doesn't want to be paying an aging goalie for his past glories. They could use a reasonably priced, reasonably competent G to pair with Kahkonen on a short term contract. With the goalie market being saturated, there is no need for them to overpay for said help, and might actually get paid to take a goalie. I would think that Rask, Kuemper, Crawford and Lundquist would be profoundly disinterested in coming to MN. Fluery and Murray possible fits due to previous relationship with Guerin. Andersen possibly a fit. Demko not so much.

I would hope that Guerin would be predatory, and take advantage of a team's desperation to shed cap, rather than take the perfect goalie for next year, which might well be a shortened, dog's breakfast of a season anyway, and one in which MN will not be a contender. The role of the acquired goalie is to be a good 1A with Kahkonen, so he he doesn't get overworked and gets a good chance at showing if he can be the goalie of the future for the Wild.

Rask’s NTC expires on the 9th.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Its obviously Matt Murray....appears Blackhawks were fromt runners now look likes minny again.. billy G wanted murray... pens and wild already made a deal... stay tuned.

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
Its obviously Matt Murray....appears Blackhawks were fromt runners now look likes minny again.. billy G wanted murray... pens and wild already made a deal... stay tuned.
no chance on Murray being the goalie we trade for. He want's multiple years and high dollars so i don't see Billy making that trade. If Murray would be willing to extend with something like 4 yrs/4.5 AAV type contract with us then I would be onboard with that but I get the sense Murray wants closer to 6m AAV.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
@wintersej I am simply talking about having a guy on the team who doesn't want to be there, when part of the job description is to be a mentor for Kahkonen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad