Rumor: Potential Goalie to Minnesota in the "next few days"

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Russo mentioned these names in his latest Athletic article:

Sources say the Wild have shown interest in well-decorated Vegas Golden Knights goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, who ranks fifth all-time with 466 wins and won one of his three Stanley Cups in 2009 with Guerin as his Pittsburgh Penguins teammate. The Wild also have expressed interest in Arizona’s Darcy Kuemper, their own 2009 sixth-round pick who was cut loose in 2017 but has emerged as a solid goalie the past two years.

Kuemper is now 30 and the price, which could include a first-round pick, could be steep. Same with either of Columbus’ two goalies — Elvis Merzlikins and Joonas Korpisalo. The Blue Jackets reportedly want at least a top-two center or winger for one of them, and the Wild are a team that needs centers. Other goalies that may be available via trade? Boston’s Tuukka Rask, the Islanders’ Semyon Varlamov and Florida blue-chip prospect Spencer Knight.
If Jacob Markstrom remains unsigned by Vancouver, he’d be the top free-agent goalie available. But at age 30, he’ll want a long-term, lucrative deal. If it got to free agency, Guerin could also look to sign more of a stopgap that could buy Kahkonen or Jones more time in their development like Braden Holtby, Corey Crawford, Thomas Greiss or Cam Talbot.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
That is a good question. I read that and was very confused. Sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest.
I guess for 9th straight up and we draft Askarov at 12?

edit: Florida fan here. This is the only way I see it making sense is that one of our targets is available at 9 and they want to do one for one for Knight for some reason. Doesn’t make sense for Minnesota unless they value him more than Askarov and would otherwise draft him

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
MIN doesn't have the C prospect FLA would want to give up Knight.
Russo speaking out his ass on this one.
Eh depends who is available at 9: it doesn’t make sense as of now but could see say Sanderson or Drysdale falling and us pulling it off, risking that we’d get Askarov at 12...

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I guess for 9th straight up and we draft Askarov at 12?

edit: Florida fan here. This is the only way I see it making sense is that one of our targets is available at 9 and they want to do one for one for Knight for some reason. Doesn’t make sense for Minnesota unless they value him more than Askarov and would otherwise draft him
Yeah, I can't see Minnesota trading a top 10 pick for a goalie.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Yeah, I can't see Minnesota trading a top 10 pick for a goalie.
I agree: I’m trying to rationalize from Florida and this is the only thing that makes reasonable sense for us :)

I agree it really acquires Minnesota to be insanely high on Knight which I see no reason to believe

Reactions: Digitalbooya

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
They could take Rossi if he falls, they could take Jarvis (as a C) as well.
Sure? But as a Florida fan, I guess you’re ranking Knight as the best player?

I guess I put him as comparable with Askarov with Askarov being slightly more appealing with the longer KHL rights/no backdoor 4th year option.

If we can get a D or forward falling I’d do it. I think Minnesota only does it if there is a run on forwards and they like Knight more

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like Spencer Knight, a lot, but why not take Askarov at #9 if you're going to trade the #9 for Knight?

MN has a 24 yo AHL GOY ready to go, have Nick Bjugstad and Marcus Johansson as their top 2 Centers, and their best(only)C prospect is warming a bench in Russia . Call me crazy, but shouldn't MN be focussing on a legit Center if they are going to trade their #9 oa?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I like Spencer Knight, a lot, but why not take Askarov at #9 if you're going to trade the #9 for Knight?

MN has a 24 yo AHL GOY ready to go, have Nick Bjugstad and Marcus Johansson as their top 2 Centers, and their best(only)C prospect is warming a bench in Russia . Call me crazy, but shouldn't MN be focussing on a legit Center if they are going to trade their #9 oa?
I think it only makes sense if there isn’t a center available: Lundell is the last top center and there’s a chance that all the centers are gone (Rossi or Lundell). I’d imagine they’d wing but suppose for some reason only Askarov or D is left?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
One thing to consider is new GM did not draft Knight

It wouldn't be first time a new GM trades a highly regraded prospect drafted by previous regime
Yes but he killed it this season. This is why I see him traded (plus he is far off for us), but I’ve got to think that he only goes for a top 10 value pick or prospect

Reactions: Morrison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad