Potential Franchise players in the 2012 Draft

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
not everyone, a franchise player is someone who can carry the franchise not a generational talent...if you are looking at that then there is only 2 in the NHL Crosby and Ovechkin and only very few in history then...guys like Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Orr are I guess are the only ones in history really then lol....IMO guys like Toews, Doughty, Stamkos, the Sedins, Malkin, Jarome Iginla etc etc are Franchise players but not generational talents.

you have that correct only a few if you are looking at that then there is only 2 in the NHL Crosby and Ovechkin and only very few in history then...guys like Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Orr are I guess are the only ones

I am not sure that Ovechkin is but the others are all Franchise players. I think that Ovechkin has to win the CUP first. Toews is the next closes then Stamkos. all the others you have to wait till they played in the league for awhile and won some scoring titles or some thing. Some have only played one year they could go out and hurt themself and never play again.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
IMO not in the Orr, Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, etc catagory....

he is very close he has 6 defenseman awards he has won 4 cup. Will he go into the HOF in the first year? If anyone else he maybe the one. You have to keep the numbers to a very few everyone can not be a Franchise Player. There are a few that may become one but lets wait for that to happen in about 5 years not before they play only one year or not even drafted.

CBA

Oct 18, 2009
Toronto
1108 points in 1494 games with a career +429. 7 time Norris Trophy winner plus a Conn Smythe, and a member of the Triple Gold Club... and he's NOT a generational player...??? How long will it take after Lidstrom retires until some people realize that we have watched one of the greatest defensemen ever to play the game?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
well then you can make a case for many players then Denis Potvin, Mark Messier, Steve Yzerman, Larry Robinson, Bobby Clarke, Sid Abel, Paul Coffey etc etc for generational talents...only a handfull in history...there are generational talents, then superstars IMO Lidstrom is a superstar who played on a great team with great players and he has amazing longevity...Bobby Orr, Mario Lemieux, Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretzky, Maurice Richard are in a class by themselves changing the way the game is played and setting marks...yes I agree Lidstrom is one of the best dmen ever but that IMO does not make him a special generational talent IMO, one of the games best superstars but IMO not in orr catagory.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
IMO a franchise player is a player that a team could build around and a generational talent is a player who has been dominant in the sport for 10 years or so.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
well then you can make a case for many players then Denis Potvin, Mark Messier, Steve Yzerman, Larry Robinson, Bobby Clarke, Sid Abel, Paul Coffey etc etc for generational talents...only a handfull in history...there are generational talents, then superstars IMO Lidstrom is a superstar who played on a great team with great players and he has amazing longevity...Bobby Orr, Mario Lemieux, Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretzky, Maurice Richard are in a class by themselves changing the way the game is played and setting marks...yes I agree Lidstrom is one of the best dmen ever but that IMO does not make him a special generational talent IMO, one of the games best superstars but IMO not in orr catagory.
Do you know what a generation is? Lidstrom was/is the best player of his generation.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Not really. Listen to the kid speak English. He has a very, very heavy accent. It's not like hes Viktor Tikhonov.

you ever hear Scottie Pippen (ex NBA) try to speak English? Nuff said.

This kid speaks better English then half of my neighbors at this point. he has improved over the past year and a half.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
IMO a franchise player is a player that a team could build around and a generational talent is a player who has been dominant in the sport for 10 years or so.

well like I said there are a lot of generational talents then Lafleur, Trottier, Messier, Leetch, Sakic, Yzerman, Hull's, Shanahan, Coffey, Sittler, Potvin, Kurri, Anderson, Robitaille, Able, Lidsey, Lafontaine, Turgeron, Modano, H Richard, Perreault, Park, Mogilny, list is getting pretty big the generational talent status I guess isn't so elite now

IMO only a handfull: Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, Richard, Orr, Roy, Sawchuk
and right now that is it....Crosby is making a stride and I think Lidstrom maybe im too harsh and to strict on the generational talent thing but i mean those guys above in my list changed the way the sport was played.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
you ever hear Scottie Pippen (ex NBA) try to speak English? Nuff said.

This kid speaks better English then half of my neighbors at this point. he has improved over the past year and a half.

rt is still right, Galchenyuk does have a very thick accent.

And ability to speak English doesn't mean you can't have an accent. My friend is from Romania and he speaks great English but has a very very thick accent still and he's been here since he was 11, Galchenyuk has only been living back in North America since he was 15, and he was living with a family who speaks Russian full time at home.

ed bruin

Feb 14, 2010
Newton

agree, to me there is also a distinction between a franchise player or generational talent.

Franchise players, are players who become the face of an organization, a player who is synonymous with the team, or a player who is first though when the team is mentioned. I.E. Iginla, St Louis, or Zetterberg

Generational talent is a player who is first thought of when the league is mentioned.
I.E. Crosby, or Ovechkin

So potential franchise players in the 2012 draft I don't know cuz depending on the team they are drafted in they can either be the face of the team or third wheel it.

but im a big fan of the two Russians Yapukov and Grigorenko

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
you have that correct only a few if you are looking at that then there is only 2 in the NHL Crosby and Ovechkin and only very few in history then...guys like Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Orr are I guess are the only ones

I am not sure that Ovechkin is but the others are all Franchise players. I think that Ovechkin has to win the CUP first. Toews is the next closes then Stamkos. all the others you have to wait till they played in the league for awhile and won some scoring titles or some thing. Some have only played one year they could go out and hurt themself and never play again.

You do realize that arbitrary titles like "franchise player" are entirely opinion-based, and thus your opinion on what constitutes a franchise player is no more valid or correct than anyone else's, right?

Furback*

Who do u think are some of the potential "Superstars" in the next years Draft?

IMO, Nail Yakupov, Mikhail Grigorenko, Alex Galchenyuk, Ryan Murray, Nick Ebert, and Griffin Reinhart are a lock for the next potential Franchise players.

when your drafting 18 year olds no one is a lock for anything,

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Since the lockout, the only players I would consider franchise players are:

-Ovechkin (2004)
-Malkin (2004)
-Crosby (2005)
-Toews (2006)
-P. Kane (2007)
-Stamkos (2008)
-Doughty (2008)
-Tavares (2009)
-Duchene (2009)
-Hall (2010)

There's usually 1 or maybe 2 franchise players in each draft class. Yakupov I could see, and even then I question if a Russian player (aside from Ovechkin and Malkin) can be the face of the franchise.

You forgot Getzlaf and Perry among others.

Furback*

I believe any player that a team builds there team around is a franchise player, IE in the 90's Stevens and Brouder, Toews and Kane and Kieth, the Sedins and Kesler, thats my take on the franchise players anyways.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Since the lockout, the only players I would consider franchise players are:

-Ovechkin (2004)
-Malkin (2004)
-Crosby (2005)
-Toews (2006)
-P. Kane (2007)
-Stamkos (2008)
-Doughty (2008)
-Tavares (2009)
-Duchene (2009)
-Hall (2010)

There's usually 1 or maybe 2 franchise players in each draft class. Yakupov I could see, and even then I question if a Russian player (aside from Ovechkin and Malkin) can be the face of the franchise.
You wouldn't have Getzlaf as a franchise player? Or Perry? If you have Tavares, Stamkos, Duchene, Hall then it's crazy how Getzlaf or Perry isnt in that list. Hell I'd even include Kopitar in that list as a franchise player for LA

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
you ever hear Scottie Pippen (exm NBA) try to speak English? Nuff said.

To say Galchenyuk is an American kid is completely false. He's a Russian. There is no doubt. Personally, I have no bias against Russian players. The kid is very obviously a Russian. Please open up YouTube and search his name. Listen to any interview. He's a Russian. There is nothing wrong with that. Nothing. However, to pretend he's an American kid is completely disingenuous.

rt

May 13, 2004
rt is still right, Galchenyuk does have a very thick accent.

And ability to speak English doesn't mean you can't have an accent. My friend is from Romania and he speaks great English but has a very very thick accent still and he's been here since he was 11, Galchenyuk has only been living back in North America since he was 15, and he was living with a family who speaks Russian full time at home.

Again, no bias against Russians. Having a kid over in NA this soon in his career is a great thing. The more familiar he is with the culture the better. He is still very much a Russian kid. Which, of course is not a had thing.

rt

May 13, 2004
probably only yakupov

To me, the way Yakupov plays is inspiring. He plays hard, with intensity. The way Grigorenko plays, though, is special. The hockey sense is off the charts. He can be criticised for a lack of fire, but he's always in the right spot to create the goal that wins the game. Combative players are endearing, no doubt. That said, players that win games with elite skill and ability to think the game may be more valuable.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
1108 points in 1494 games with a career +429. 7 time Norris Trophy winner plus a Conn Smythe, and a member of the Triple Gold Club... and he's NOT a generational player...??? How long will it take after Lidstrom retires until some people realize that we have watched one of the greatest defensemen ever to play the game?

He is one of the greatest, and anyone who says otherwise needs :help:. I think he is generational, just because he isn't quite Bobby Orr good (and frankly, I doubt anyone will ever be) doesn't mean he wasn't one in a million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad