Potential Franchise players in the 2012 Draft

4thliner*

To me, the way Yakupov plays is inspiring. He plays hard, with intensity. The way Grigorenko plays, though, is special. The hockey sense is off the charts. He can be criticised for a lack of fire, but he's always in the right spot to create the goal that wins the game. Combative players are endearing, no doubt. That said, players that win games with elite skill and ability to think the game may be more valuable.

Yakupov has elite skills as well.. MAD skills. Plus with Nail is his MOTOR.

Plus with Mikhail is SIZE.

I would say they are about even with slight edge to Nail due to his NA exposure to the life style and style of game here. But I could see him being the 2nd best player in this draft. Another plus for upside purposes is that I like the center more than the winger with everything being close to equal.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
well like I said there are a lot of generational talents then Lafleur, Trottier, Messier, Leetch, Sakic, Yzerman, Hull's, Shanahan, Coffey, Sittler, Potvin, Kurri, Anderson, Robitaille, Able, Lidsey, Lafontaine, Turgeron, Modano, H Richard, Perreault, Park, Mogilny, list is getting pretty big the generational talent status I guess isn't so elite now

IMO only a handfull: Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, Richard, Orr, Roy, Sawchuk
and right now that is it....Crosby is making a stride and I think Lidstrom maybe im too harsh and to strict on the generational talent thing but i mean those guys above in my list changed the way the sport was played.

you know looking back I was wrong actually he is a generational talent, I will say I was wrong here

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
This draft is stacked, I already can't wait till the season starts and see these kids develop over the course of this upcoming year.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yakupov definitely, another that I think has the upside to be one that I haven't seen listed yet is Frk.

Lidstrom is the best defenseman of his generation and arguably a top 3 defenseman of all time, he's a generational talent without question.

Don't disagree one bit that he's the best dman of his generation, but I have a hard time using the term generational talent with him. I'm honestly not sure he's better then Eddie Shore, Doug Harvey, Ray Bourque, or Denis Potvin. But he is right in the conversation with them. Only problem with that is how many of the 4 I just listed would be considered generational talents. Shore's the only one I can think of with a real argument there.

I'm pretty strict with the whole generational player thing though: IMO it's only Morenz, Richard, Howe, Orr, Gretzky, and Lemieux with some arguments for some current guys (Crosby, Ovechkin), goalies (Sawchuk, Tretiak, Roy, Hasek, Plante), and other old timers (Lalonde, Cyclone Taylor, Shore, etc.)

Adam Banks

May 16, 2011
Orange County, CA
You wouldn't have Getzlaf as a franchise player? Or Perry? If you have Tavares, Stamkos, Duchene, Hall then it's crazy how Getzlaf or Perry isnt in that list. Hell I'd even include Kopitar in that list as a franchise player for LA

I think that he's missing Getzlaf/Perry because he only has players drafted during/post lockout on his list. Otherwise he would be missing a few other 03 draftees like Eric Staal and Shea Weber among others.

pouskin74*

Because he speant the vast majority of his life in Russia (Was still a todler when he left the US and only played a year of minor hockey in Chicago before moving to Sarnia with his family). Which is why I'm still surprised he has any notion of playing for the US as theres nothing about his life that indicates any actual attachment to the US, even though it's definitely a hockey move and not a personal move. Usually even with a hockey decision like that theres some personal attachment. He definitely plays like a Russian and no matter what his decision you can bet they're going to be referred to as The Three Russians.

Anyways theres a lot of potential franchise players in this draft. So much top end talent it's really outstanding.

this!

i love staal

Oct 19, 2008
Have not read the whole thread, but I thought scouts define a franchise player who can be someone you build a team around. Goalies in this day and age are not being drafted as franchise players, but in the past Brodeur and Luongo were franchise players. Ryan Miller some say is a franchise player, but there is also some dispute that Myers is the franchise guy (a luxury to have this dilemma haha). At the same time, I believe that a franchise player is the face of that franchise.

Guys who are franchise players now in my opinion:

Lidstrom
Doughty
Duchene
Hall (or at least he looked like one at times last year)
Stamkos
Crosby
Ovechkin
Malkin (would be on any other team)
Eric Staal

There may be some I am missing.

In 2012, however, it seems as though Ryan Murray, Nick Ebert, Grigorenko, and Yakupov are the elite talent with Reinhart very close behind. I think that we will see how Reinhart plays this year before saying wheter or not he is a bonafide number 1 defenseman potential wise. Murray and Ebert (I have seen him play since he was 13) are two way defenseman who hit and can lead a d corps in the future. Grigorenko and Yakupov are elite skill wise, yet bring grit and leadership to a team as well. My observations on Grigorenko are admittedly on hearsay only.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Ryan Murray, Jacob Trouba, Griffin Reinhart, Nail Yakupov. I like the rest of the other elite players listed but these four I see as being 'franchise' types.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Franchise Players right now:

Crosby
Ovechkin
Toews
Stamkos
E Staal
Lidstrom
Doughty
P Kane
Malkin
Pronger
Tavares
Hall
D&H Sedin

Potential* franchise players from 2012

Ryan Murray
Nail Yakupov
Mikhail Grigorenko

pouskin74*

Franchise Players right now:

Crosby
Ovechkin
Toews
Stamkos
E Staal
Lidstrom
Doughty
P Kane
Malkin
Pronger
Tavares
Hall
D&H Sedin

Potential* franchise players from 2012

Ryan Murray
Nail Yakupov
Mikhail Grigorenko

dont get a point here...where is Datsyuk while you having E.Staal and view others on list:amazed:

pouskin74*

Have not read the whole thread, but I thought scouts define a franchise player who can be someone you build a team around. Goalies in this day and age are not being drafted as franchise players, but in the past Brodeur and Luongo were franchise players. Ryan Miller some say is a franchise player, but there is also some dispute that Myers is the franchise guy (a luxury to have this dilemma haha). At the same time, I believe that a franchise player is the face of that franchise.

Guys who are franchise players now in my opinion:

Lidstrom
Doughty
Duchene
Hall (or at least he looked like one at times last year)
Stamkos
Crosby
Ovechkin
Malkin (would be on any other team)
Eric Staal

There may be some I am missing.

:laugh: yeah

i love staal

Oct 19, 2008

You would not say that Staal is a top player in the league, who is a franchise player? He is clearly the face of the organization, and the Hurricanes have built their team around him. Sounds like a franchise player to me. Duchene and Hall I can understand why you are skeptical, but Staal is viewed as a franchise, top player in this league. I should have rephrased Duchene and Hall as potential franchise players (though Duchene looks pretty dam close).

Potential franchise players in league:

Tavares, Duchene, and Hall. You can look at TSN's current bracket of who to build a franchise around as a good frame of some potential franchise players in the league as well.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
To me, the way Yakupov plays is inspiring. He plays hard, with intensity. The way Grigorenko plays, though, is special. The hockey sense is off the charts. He can be criticised for a lack of fire, but he's always in the right spot to create the goal that wins the game. Combative players are endearing, no doubt. That said, players that win games with elite skill and ability to think the game may be more valuable.

My words,

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a prospect player before with such a sophisticated game like Grigorenko. It's effortless brillance, he's showcasing all the time. Never rushing.

Could his lack of modern energy-game hinder his development?... surely
But when I had to guess right now: I'd rather bet on him being a future HOF' than a bust.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
well then you can make a case for many players then Denis Potvin, Mark Messier, Steve Yzerman, Larry Robinson, Bobby Clarke, Sid Abel, Paul Coffey etc etc for generational talents...only a handfull in history...there are generational talents, then superstars IMO Lidstrom is a superstar who played on a great team with great players and he has amazing longevity...Bobby Orr, Mario Lemieux, Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretzky, Maurice Richard are in a class by themselves changing the way the game is played and setting marks...yes I agree Lidstrom is one of the best dmen ever but that IMO does not make him a special generational talent IMO, one of the games best superstars but IMO not in orr catagory.

Sorry but that sentence just screams Gordie Howe.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yakupov
Galchenyuk
Grigorenko
Murray

All have franchise potential even a couple like Ebert.

Also, anyone who doesn't think Lidstrom is a generational talent is just a hater simple as that.

Alpha190

Feb 3, 2007
Lidstrom was the best player over the seasons 00-09

That makes him a generation talent and probably a top 3 defenseman all time

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
Probably only Yakupov, Murray or Ebert are the elite players but most of those other names you listed could also be franchise players.

For example Ottawa's franchise players are: Jason Spezza and Erik Karlsson. That could change soon but certainly there are more then 1 per team. Some teams have several while others have none or several that are stretches. For example, Chicago has Toews, Kane and Keith while teams like the Jets have Ladd or Byfuglien as stretch franchise players.

GoLeafs13

Jul 23, 2010
I'd say the potential franchise players in this draft could be

Yakupov
Grigorenko
Galchenyuk
Murray

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm much more lenient with the term franchise, but much less lenient with the term generational.

To me a generational talent is someone that is not only the best player, but so far ahead of the class that he makes other excellent players look silly.

To me I can vouch for Gretzky and Lemieux, and based on what I've heard, I'll also agree with Orr and Howe.

Ironically, I don't think that the term "generational" means that every generation must have one. Lidstrom has been one of the best defensemen his entire time in the league (He's been my favourite defenseman since like 2002), but I don't consider him generational the same way I don't consider Bourque (another fantastic defenseman) to be one.

I think Crosby was becoming close and I hope he fully recovers from his injury. Ovechkin is more Pavel Bure style for me right now (unbelievable talent and a franchise player, but I don't quite see him as generational, despite being one of the best players of this generation).

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Franchise players from the 2003 draft: E. Staal, Suter, Parise, Getzlaf, Burns, Kesler, Perry, Weber, Enstrom, and BizNasty:sarcasm:. That's 9 guys, not including M. Richards, Carter, Vanek, Ericksson, Bergeron, or Phanuef (Not that those guys are franchise guys, but an argument could be made).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->