Potential Franchise players in the 2012 Draft

Fearless Leaf*

Who do u think are some of the potential "Superstars" in the next years Draft?

IMO, Nail Yakupov, Mikhail Grigorenko, Alex Galchenyuk, Ryan Murray, Nick Ebert, and Griffin Reinhart are a lock for the next potential Franchise players.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto

IMO, Nail Yakupov, Mikhail Grigorenko, Alex Galchenyuk, Ryan Murray, Nick Ebert, and Griffin Reinhart are a lock for the next potential Franchise players.

there has only been a few Franchise players ever in the NHL. the last one was Crosby.

Futon

Jun 28, 2010

Right now I would agree, but a ton can change regarding prospects in a year. There will be players drafted high in 2012 that most haven't even heard of yet. So the responses in this thread won't really have any merit at this point.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Franchise player: a player around which you build a franchise. As such there are at least 30 franchise players in the league at any given moment. Realistically when we look at talent levels, there are probably more who are on a similar level.

Last edited by a moderator:

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
Drew Doughty, John Tavares, and Matt Duchene are not Franchise players?

no they are not. it takes about 5 years for a player to be a franchise player. i do not think anyone of these will ever be one. They may be the team best player but not a franchise player they are very few of those ever.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Since the lockout, the only players I would consider franchise players are:

-Ovechkin (2004)
-Malkin (2004)
-Crosby (2005)
-Toews (2006)
-P. Kane (2007)
-Stamkos (2008)
-Doughty (2008)
-Tavares (2009)
-Duchene (2009)
-Hall (2010)

There's usually 1 or maybe 2 franchise players in each draft class. Yakupov I could see, and even then I question if a Russian player (aside from Ovechkin and Malkin) can be the face of the franchise.

Fearless Leaf*

no they are not. it takes about 5 years for a player to be a franchise player. i do not think anyone of these will ever be one. They may be the team best player but not a franchise player they are very few of those ever.

Well let me ask u this then, how many players do you consider a Franchise player from the 2003 draft? I bet u can think about 10 right? I think this draft will have similar affect as the 2003 draft.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
You guys sure have strict view of franchise players.

not everyone, a franchise player is someone who can carry the franchise not a generational talent...if you are looking at that then there is only 2 in the NHL Crosby and Ovechkin and only very few in history then...guys like Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Orr are I guess are the only ones in history really then lol....IMO guys like Toews, Doughty, Stamkos, the Sedins, Malkin, Jarome Iginla etc etc are Franchise players but not generational talents.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
not everyone, a franchise player is someone who can carry the franchise not a generational talent...if you are looking at that then there is only 2 in the NHL Crosby and Ovechkin and only very few in history then...guys like Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Orr are I guess are the only ones in history really then lol....IMO guys like Toews, Doughty, Stamkos, the Sedins, Malkin, Jarome Iginla etc etc are Franchise players but not generational talents.
Lidstrom's not a generational talent? I'd say he is...

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
I think Yakupov and Murray have franchise potential, Grigorenko has the talent but I have heard there are some concerns about his intensity? Ebert, Galchenyuk, Reinhart, Trouba all have star potential

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
The three Russians at the top are all going to be tremendous hockey players. Especially Nail and Grigorenko.

Glachenyuk isn't really Russian. Russian last name, Belarussian father (not Russia, just at one point in time was a Soviet satellite state), American citzenship

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Not really. Listen to the kid speak English. He has a very, very heavy accent. It's not like hes Viktor Tikhonov.

Because he speant the vast majority of his life in Russia (Was still a todler when he left the US and only played a year of minor hockey in Chicago before moving to Sarnia with his family). Which is why I'm still surprised he has any notion of playing for the US as theres nothing about his life that indicates any actual attachment to the US, even though it's definitely a hockey move and not a personal move. Usually even with a hockey decision like that theres some personal attachment. He definitely plays like a Russian and no matter what his decision you can bet they're going to be referred to as The Three Russians.

Anyways theres a lot of potential franchise players in this draft. So much top end talent it's really outstanding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad