Post Your Slapshot Video - Improve your shot

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
I'm going to ask one more time, will people post only videos of themselves on ice? Most adult rec players can easily shoot harder in flat feet than on skates.

It would be nice to own a rink and go out there whenever you want and setup camera but most people have a few short minutes shared with 20 other people before a game for this.

And I'll add that on ice slapshots are easier, faster and harder because you can skate into them so if someone is cranking them in sneakers you can bet they shoot harder on ice.

I do anyway, I shoot with much more ooomph on ice.

Dump and Chase

Hand of God
May 6, 2010
I do anyway, I shoot with much more ooomph on ice.

Of course you do. Skates add about 3" to your height and some length to your stick as well. The extra height and stick length makes for more power it is simple physics.

Remember playing "crack the whip" as a kid? The longer the chain the more snap on the end of the whip. Same principal.

hoonking

Jan 25, 2010
Of course you do. Skates add about 3" to your height and some length to your stick as well. The extra height and stick length makes for more power it is simple physics.

Remember playing "crack the whip" as a kid? The longer the chain the more snap on the end of the whip. Same principal.

I'm pretty sure my stick doesn't extend everytime I put on skates :sarcasm:

Lososaurus

Oct 28, 2008
California
For your amusement.

Had a friend operating the camera, gave him a quick overview on switching from normalspeed->highspeed. I hacked apart some of the video to remove excess highspeed sections.

Razzmatazz

Feb 2, 2010
So suddenly, after scuffs and fluttering crap, I found the stick flex and hard shot by accident...tell me if I'm right on my approach.

I found before, I was hitting down on the puck, and the blade was hitting the board like this, closer to the heel:

▄ \
(ice view, from behind me)

1.) I opened the blade up, and made contact with the ice more like this, on the outer half of the blade

▄ |

almost to the point it felt like this:

▄ /

I found some consistency with the puck just behind my left heel (righty), up about a foot and a half.

With the open blade, I could feel the stick bend, and the blade almost give the puck an extra whip at the end, where I could turn the blade over to keep it down.

A few other things I noticed:

Looking at the puck up until the stick hit the board made a huge difference...I tend to not focus on things...but it does pay off sometimes with my good peripheral vision

Keeping my right elbow near my right hip also seemed to help in transferring the my weight into the shot.

And, turning the head and squaring the shoulders towards the target as the stick hit the puck also really helped, especially transferring the rest of my power through the elbows into the hands.

If there is anything that doesn't sound right, let me know, but it sure as hell felt right, for the first time.

HowToHockey

So suddenly, after scuffs and fluttering crap, I found the stick flex and hard shot by accident...tell me if I'm right on my approach.

I found before, I was hitting down on the puck, and the blade was hitting the board like this, closer to the heel:

▄ \
(ice view, from behind me)

1.) I opened the blade up, and made contact with the ice more like this, on the outer half of the blade

▄ |

almost to the point it felt like this:

▄ /

I found some consistency with the puck just behind my left heel (righty), up about a foot and a half.

With the open blade, I could feel the stick bend, and the blade almost give the puck an extra whip at the end, where I could turn the blade over to keep it down.

A few other things I noticed:

Looking at the puck up until the stick hit the board made a huge difference...I tend to not focus on things...but it does pay off sometimes with my good peripheral vision

Keeping my right elbow near my right hip also seemed to help in transferring the my weight into the shot.

And, turning the head and squaring the shoulders towards the target as the stick hit the puck also really helped, especially transferring the rest of my power through the elbows into the hands.

If there is anything that doesn't sound right, let me know, but it sure as hell felt right, for the first time.

I think what you have learned is the easiest way to take a slapshot, but you are cheating. Eventually you should work on getting the most power.

Flexing the stick is important for lifting the puck, and getting a lot of power.
Instead of hitting the puck like this ▄ \ it should look more like this ▄ _____\

The blade of the stick NEEDS to be cupped, by hitting the ice / ground like that it makes it a lot easier to flex the shaft AND also flexes the blade of the stick, so when you contact the puck and the pressure is released from the stick, the shaft AND the blade will recoil giving you a lot of power.

If you can't feel the flex in your stick, try a lower flex stick and see how it feels. Then go out and hit the ground / ice a few inches behind the puck. If you load the stick properly then when it recoils it will launch the puck at the net and you will know what I am talking about.

If you want to see how I shoot I have a bunch of videos up on youtube showing what has worked for me

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I've noticed shooting with a Drury that shots are a lot harder. There might be something to it, I can't say for sure. But the Drury is wedged open quite a bit. I'd love to try one but am in the red after my last shopping spree.

Beav, any plans to do work with the wrist shot? I enjoyed your videos quite a bit!

HowToHockey

I've noticed shooting with a Drury that shots are a lot harder. There might be something to it, I can't say for sure. But the Drury is wedged open quite a bit. I'd love to try one but am in the red after my last shopping spree.

Beav, any plans to do work with the wrist shot? I enjoyed your videos quite a bit!

yeah once I am done posting the workouts to improve slapshot power I want to do a few on improving wrist shot power. I have already done a few wrist shot articles and videos
How to take a wrist shot - I have to update this one to show both types of wrist shots. I usually shoot this way, so that is why I wrote the article, but I realized that when players are learning they should learn the other way of shooting (covered in two types of wrist shots)
How to improve wrist shot accuracy
Two types of wrist shots

kenmei

Aug 8, 2010
San Jose, CA
Sorry for the bad quality. These are from when I started playing hockey back in August:

this was from last month in OCT:

i wish i had a little more recent video, because i've fixed my follow thru from the above vid :D

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Sorry for the bad quality. These are from when I started playing hockey back in August:

this was from last month in OCT:

i wish i had a little more recent video, because i've fixed my follow thru from the above vid :D
Fixed, though your 2nd one is still broken for some reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad