Post Your Slapshot Video - Improve your shot

The Benchwarmer

Apr 9, 2005
England
Not necessarily, its all about how you use the stick. Ovi uses a 70ish flex stick and I'm sure he is more than strong enough to use a 100+ if he wanted, but he finds that he likes the whip he gets from the soft stick. I think the speed of his shots is quite clear.

Yes he is, I've got a broken Easton Synergy of his that he used when playing for Dinamo Moscow and that was 110 flex!!

HVPOLARBEARS19

Nov 17, 2005
NY
I've only had my shot speed recorded once, I think the highest I got up to was 76 (on ice), and it was for this skills competition. But I still don't feel like I'm really ripping the shot, and it's definitely due to form. I played at a relatively high level (DIII level), but I still don't feel that comfortable taking slap shots, unless I have a lot of time to tee it up.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
Have been really suffering with slappers recently, with pain in the lower hand. It feels like the only part of my lower hand that is taking the impact is my index finger right as it meets the hand. I know I'm trying to keep the blade closed to keep the shots low, and that's part of it, but I can only take about a half dozen or so a day before the pain becomes too much. Don't have any other problems with any other shots.

Anybody have any suggestions?

IniNew

Dec 8, 2008
Keller
Have been really suffering with slappers recently, with pain in the lower hand. It feels like the only part of my lower hand that is taking the impact is my index finger right as it meets the hand. I know I'm trying to keep the blade closed to keep the shots low, and that's part of it, but I can only take about a half dozen or so a day before the pain becomes too much. Don't have any other problems with any other shots.

I wouldn't necessarily keep the blade closed through the entire shot, that could be where the awkward feeling is coming from. The height of the shot is controlled 90% with the follow through.

The Benchwarmer

Apr 9, 2005
England

Yes, I've had exactly the same problem and at exactly the same point. I've started wearing a cycling glove under my hockey glove to give a little extra cushioning and that seems to have done the trick.

HowToHockey

Yes, I've had exactly the same problem and at exactly the same point. I've started wearing a cycling glove under my hockey glove to give a little extra cushioning and that seems to have done the trick.

Same here, when I first started shooting the "padding" on my hands felt bruised, same spot too, where the index meets the hand. I would jsut take a day or so off and then shoot some more. It hasn't bothered me lately

Razzmatazz

Feb 2, 2010
I cut a 2x4 piece from the Thrifty whiteboard, and brought it to the park, where I was taking shots at the outdoor squash courts. First time I've ever had the opportunity to really work on my shot with real pucks on solid ground in my life, and I have to say, I've been pleasantly surprised :)

Hardest, lowest, and flattest of all of my shots, something, now that I have a feel for the mechanics of, will be much more easily applied on the ice (attempting it on skates in the past, I've been way off balance at the point of contact and haven't had any mustard on them, lots of shanks and whiffs). I find I have a much better shot if I just take a short backswing than the huge windup, less scuffs off the heal or toe. And, it takes far less energy to pull off than a wrist or snap shot. I play with a long 105 flexed wooden stick, so that may be a factor.

If my new phone can record videos, I may have something up here in the next week or so.

I got the backyard-netting friday and it's awesome. Shot a new video today:

Your shot and technique looks SO much better than when you first started, and the pucks are clearly coming off your stick more consistently. You still do look a little offbalance on the follow-through though.

And why is the pad on the grass when there is what appears to be perfectly good concrete right next to it? Seems like shooting off the more solid surface would help better simulate the ice surface.

Last edited:

FinHockey

Sex Metal Barbie
Nov 10, 2009
Finland
And why is the pad on the grass when there is what appears to be perfectly good concrete right next to it? Seems like shooting off the more solid surface would help better simulate the ice surface.

I don't know where you think the concrete is, but there is none at my backyard.

Razzmatazz

Feb 2, 2010
Oh, it just looks like there is some at the front of the camera view, must be something else!

Hrad

Dec 30, 2009
is it okay to post snapshot videos?

People have been posting field hockey videos. :P

but yeah I don't see why not? The point of the thread is simply to "Improve", I'd assume all shots are welcome.

sag2k3

Feb 4, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUHn_otahc8

I dont know how to "pack" in the video to the post.

I know that the quality is ****** and i have a Pejorative Slur friend that cant hold the phone still.

What do you think about my snapshot with my Bauer XXXX?(it is a few centimeters tall because i have just buy it) I will post a video with my X60(nasty stick) ASAP.

HowToHockey

What do you think about my snapshot with my Bauer XXXX?(it is a few centimeters tall because i have just buy it) I will post a video with my X60(nasty stick) ASAP.

You would get a lot more power if you transferred your weight onto your right leg.

If you are going for more of a snapshot you need to pull the puck in towards your body, and then really snap the puck at the net.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Picked up a couple new sticks this week off a D1 college player, a 77 flex and an 87 flex P92 One95. The 77 is cracked so I need to get it repaired, but it's still kind of usable.

Tell you what, the sticks launch the puck pretty damn hard. The 87 is about as stiff as my 75 flex Harrow, but it has the mid kick point. The 77 is an inch too long (keeping it that way until I get it fixed), but a few times I got the whip timing down and it was just a BOMB.

Very fun.

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time

this is an excellent video. I took his advice of keeping my hand further up and pushing my shaft more into the ground/ice and I got great results. You have to be wary to not push too hard or too fierce or you will quickly ruin your stick. If you find your sweet spot you are golden. Previously I was kinda swiping the puck too much instead of loading up the shaft before hitting the puck.

I had a good slapper, but this took it up a notch. I still have to practice this technique a lot more to do it right constantly on every slapper I take but it feels great to see the puck rocket off the blade like it did yesterday. Another benefit with this technique is the lessened effort it takes to get a good shot off. Better balance (since my hand is higher up on the shaft, closer to my natural stance) and less required strength from your body (loading the shaft will generate the power).

BadHammy*

I'm going to ask one more time, will people post only videos of themselves on ice? Most adult rec players can easily shoot harder in flat feet than on skates.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
It's much harder to setup a camera at a rink than in your own backyard.

Anyway, whenever I've been going to the gym lately, I've been making slap shot motions with one of these
troy-aerobic-weight-bars.jpg

Usually I go with the 18 pounder (that's the heaviest we have), but I also just take the lower end ones and just try to go as fast as I can and move up.

Not sure if it'll make a difference, but it's worth a try. I figure it's the same concept as using a weighted stick, except I'm not actually shooting a puck nor hitting the floor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad