Post Your Slapshot Video - Improve your shot

HowToHockey

Hey guys this part of the slapshot challenge

We just put up our slapshot videos with speed from the radar gun. Post your slapshot video as a video response to ours on youtube and also imbed here if you would like. Show your form now, we will share tips on how to improve, and see how much you can improve your slapshot

UPDATE - Slapshot accuracy

I see a lot of you have improved your slapshot by now, so here is a link to the forum page covering how to improve slapshot accuracy
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=26971673#post26971673

Last edited:

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Oh by the way "Beav" I have a rainy week here so it will have to wait until next weekend when we are supposed to get out of the 40s and 50s into the mid to upper 70s finally.

We even have snow forecast for northern Maine this week believe it or not.

I'll shoot some video ... I am looking forward to seeing some other videos here this week.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Pretty cool video, nice intro too.

I don't mean to be a dick, but the second shot around :25 was a muffin, and in no way 70 mph. Are you sure your gun is right?

That said, I shoot it about 45 mph on a good day.

HowToHockey

Pretty cool video, nice intro too.

I don't mean to be a dick, but the second shot around :25 was a muffin, and in no way 70 mph. Are you sure your gun is right?

That said, I shoot it about 45 mph on a good day.

haha ok you are the 2nd one to say that. Maybe my friend needs to get his eyes checked. The next video we will shoot at night so you can read the display in the video.

The gun does have misreads sometimes... Ken is averaging 70's though

I am shooting mid 60's now, we shot this video a few weeks ago and I have been practicing every day

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I don't know about you guys, but my shot is drastically different bare handed than it is wearing gloves. I wouldn't be surprised to see you put 10% more speed on your shot just by putting some gloves on.

BadHammy*

haha ok you are the 2nd one to say that. Maybe my friend needs to get his eyes checked. The next video we will shoot at night so you can read the display in the video.

The gun does have misreads sometimes... Ken is averaging 70's though

I am shooting mid 60's now, we shot this video a few weeks ago and I have been practicing every day

Yeah, I think someone was misreading something there:nod:

I don't know about you guys, but my shot is drastically different bare handed than it is wearing gloves. I wouldn't be surprised to see you put 10% more speed on your shot just by putting some gloves on.

Quoted for being completely and utterly right. C'mon man, you're running a gd hockey site and you don't know that? Plus, if you want to make it real, only allow videos of people shooting ON ICE.

HowToHockey

Quoted for being completely and utterly right. C'mon man, you're running a gd hockey site and you don't know that? Plus, if you want to make it real, only allow videos of people shooting ON ICE.

I do know that, but I am trying to make it really simple. If I only let people participate with videos on ice I don't think anyone would participate. Ice time is hard to come by for a lot of people.

We will include an on ice demo near the end of the challenge to show proper on ice shooting, because it does differ from dryland. Shooting off ice is similar enough though that you can improve your on ice shooting by practicing off ice.

Thanks for the feedback guys, lets get some video responses and videos in this thread!

Next video I will wear gloves though :D

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
I do know that, but I am trying to make it really simple. If I only let people participate with videos on ice I don't think anyone would participate. Ice time is hard to come by for a lot of people.

We will include an on ice demo near the end of the challenge to show proper on ice shooting, because it does differ from dryland. Shooting off ice is similar enough though that you can improve your on ice shooting by practicing off ice.

Thanks for the feedback guys, lets get some video responses and videos in this thread!

Next video I will wear gloves though :D

Shooting in stride gets a harder shot as well ... rollerblades would be good. Some guys here have roller and some don't
I would like to record slapshots on an outdoor ice rink but alas wrong time of year. You are absolutely correct, I have no on ice video because I just go to play hockey. Nobody has come to specifically video tape me so whatever. Even if they did just being able to record slapshot videos would not even be an option because of the ice time as you mentioned.

I think your thread here is fine so don't get too upset at the critiqueing.

I'm going to make a dryland video without a radar gun on top of that for whatever that is worth. I think it is just fun for everyone to particpate in whatever way they can.

FinHockey

Sex Metal Barbie
Nov 10, 2009
Finland
I shot my video(s) today(three different angles). Didn't have any kind of speed measuring equipment.

I don't know how to make them responses to your video.

Hrad

Dec 30, 2009
I shot my video(s) today(three different angles). Didn't have any kind of speed measuring equipment.

Looks like you should spread out your legs more and bend your knees a bit more as well. It looks like your "just chillin'" and taking a few slappers out there. It would probably be pretty hard to take a slapshot with your feet close together like that on the ice, because you probably have worse balance on skates than just standing.

Anyways, I don't mean to be rude but you should probably try to improve those things :)

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I would just like to point out that I wasn't trying to critique this thread or this effort at all. I think this is pretty cool, I just thought the glove thing might help some people.

Hrad

Dec 30, 2009
I would just like to point out that I wasn't trying to critique this thread or this effort at all. I think this is pretty cool, I just thought the glove thing might help some people.

Yes well the gloves thing is 100% correct (for me anyways). I just seem to get a lot more on the puck when using gloves. It might be that they actually pad your hands so you're not subconsciously afraid to hit the puck your hardest, because it does sting if you shoot without gloves.

Ducksgo*

Looks like you should be careful, a few inches up and you would be cleaning up some glass! haha

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Looks like you should spread out your legs more and bend your knees a bit more as well. It looks like your "just chillin'" and taking a few slappers out there. It would probably be pretty hard to take a slapshot with your feet close together like that on the ice, because you probably have worse balance on skates than just standing.

Anyways, I don't mean to be rude but you should probably try to improve those things :)

Same comment I had about it .... not a bad upper body form though.

Dropping down and driving these would be pretty good for him I agree.

FinHockey

Sex Metal Barbie
Nov 10, 2009
Finland
I think those are wood doors ... hard to tell with Youtube raunchness these days when not HD vid. They do look like glass doors with louvers inside running up and down.:laugh:
They are wooden doors. Even I'm not stupid enough to shoot against glass doors.:laugh:

Same comment I had about it .... not a bad upper body form though.

Dropping down and driving these would be pretty good for him I agree.

I noticed that too. I'll shoot new videos some day.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
They are wooden doors. Even I'm not stupid enough to shoot against glass doors.:laugh:

I noticed that too. I'll shoot new videos some day.

Well that is what the thread is for ... to imporve your shot. I think he had a radar gun in mind but I do not think most people even have one.

Nice job on the videos, you can see everything really good.

Last edited:

HowToHockey

I definitely agree with the guys on the board. You are connecting well with the puck, and your form is pretty good, you are just missing out on power though, which is not hard to get with a few tweaks.

I would say widen your stance, bend your knees a bit and step into the shot and push with your back leg.

You can see in this video, at 0:17 Patrick Kane pushing off with his back leg to get more power http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJnKTtS9t3g

boot399

Apr 29, 2010
My Video

not the best but i pretty much only take wrist shots in a real game

SiouxPride

Dec 26, 2006
WINNIPEG!
i havnt really gotten any good info out of here no offence... but

My wrist shots and snap shots are , tbh really sweet. Like i can shoot anywhere and call it and stuff, there that good... BUTTTT my slap shots arnt nearly as good.

I used to use a RBK 7k sickick. They were decent shots, i was happy with them. I eventually broke it and bought a vapour xII, and i just cantget a good lift of height, nor a good amount of power. Where should i be hitting it, right down the center of the blade right? Positioning of the legs, and transfering tips?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad