Post-Game Talk: Post TDL Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The nice thing about Jooris is that it gives the Penguins another center option if either Brassard or Sheahan somehow manage to stick and fit well with Crosby or Malkin. Rowney isn't the definite 4C now if the Penguins would have an injury to center or if they'd want to try one of their centers on the wing.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
He is significantly more skilled then Rowney. JJ might only end up being a 4th line PK guy here. But that doesn't mean that's all he can be... Not saying he'll be more, but it seems short sighted to write him off before even seeing a game out of him.

I thought we would have learned this after Sheahan, Oleksiak and Schutlz.

Sheahan
Oleksiak
Schultz
Jooris

One of these things is not like the other?
All these other guys were high draft picks that were all thought to be highly talented. They all had spurts of playing well in the NHL but due to circumstances either were dog housed or inconsistent or both. You can include Cole in that group as well.

Jooris is a undrafted try hard guy that can be useful but also has been waived by at least 3 different organizations and has no real track record anywhere.

Im all for "lets hope he exceeds expectations" but i dont think its worth getting anyone hopes up.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

WDYT

Jul 23, 2017
Definitely should pump the breaks on Jooris. The biggest indication is that they sent him straight to the AHL. He's depth. He was a fringe NHL fourth liner on a fringe playoff team who was traded for an AHL scrub. Maybe he gets a chance if there are injuries. But if they thought he was somebody that was going to play a key role for them, they'd at least have him on the NHL roster.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The nice thing about Jooris is that it gives the Penguins another center option if either Brassard or Sheahan somehow manage to stick and fit well with Crosby or Malkin. Rowney isn't the definite 4C now if the Penguins would have an injury to center or if they'd want to try one of their centers on the wing.

Or it allows Guentzel to go back with Sid. Put Brassard on 3LW with Sheahan and Kessel.

Then have a 4th line with a crazy motor of Sheary-Jooris-Rust.

That 4th line would eat up weak competition.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

This is the most excited I can remember myself being for a player debut since probably Iginla. I really hope that's not an omen.

I think its the combination of 1. the Pens are playing well right now 2. the sky is the limit with an underrated player like him. He's already hit 60 points in 80 games before. If Brassard and Kessel become a tandem god knows how good he can be.

That + the defensive game we know has got me itching to see him play. And we have him for another year. Amazing.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
This is the most excited I can remember myself being for a player debut since probably Iginla. I really hope that's not an omen.

I think its the combination of 1. the Pens are playing well right now 2. the sky is the limit with an underrated player like him. He's already hit 60 points in 80 games before. If Brassard and Kessel become a tandem god knows how good he can be.

Against 3rd pairing defenders no less.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Exactly. People are reading too much into the acquisition. If it is only what you describe, which it is, it is a great trade.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Sheahan
Oleksiak
Schultz
Jooris

One of these things is not like the other?
All these other guys were high draft picks that were all thought to be highly talented. They all had spurts of playing well in the NHL but due to circumstances either were dog housed or inconsistent or both. You can include Cole in that group as well.

Jooris is a undrafted try hard guy that can be useful but also has been waived by at least 3 different organizations and has no real track record anywhere.

Im all for "lets hope he exceeds expectations" but i dont think its worth getting anyone hopes up.

Sid has played with more undrafted AHL type guys than any almost anyone. Not that it means anything except that it doesn't get ruled out on that basis alone.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Borat-Very-Nice-Meme-14.jpg
Brassard and Kessel are our 3rd line. Just wow.:naughty:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Wingers grow on trees and he’s inflated by McDavid. Glad, Shero bit on those two so we didn’t.

I'm glad Shero acquired Grabner, as I think over the course of the POs, he'll be much more like he was in Toronto then in NY.

I'm more indifferent to Maroon as he would have at least provided something a little different to our lineup. Hopefully ZAR can fill that role, but a 2019 3rd and a nothing NCAA prospect? If the cap had worked, that would be cheap.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
But it SHOULD.

We have plenty of NHL top 9 wingers to put there.

And how many of them have been "working" with Crosby recently? I'm not in any way endorsing JJ to L1 as a good idea, or really even something that we should go out of our way to attempt. But this board more then most, should know that talent alone doesn't mean all that much... and given how well Crosby has played with his linemates recently... that perhaps dismissing things out of hand might not be the best idea.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
And how many of them have been "working" with Crosby recently? I'm not in any way endorsing JJ to L1 as a good idea, or really even something that we should go out of our way to attempt. But this board more then most, should know that talent alone doesn't mean all that much... and given how well Crosby has played with his linemates recently... that perhaps dismissing things out of hand might not be the best idea.

Real wingers not working > fringer NHlers working

Lets play the guy waived at least 3 times by 3 teams over anyone on this roster sans Rowney or Kuhnackl is asinine

Reactions: PensandCaps

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

That + the defensive game we know has got me itching to see him play. And we have him for another year. Amazing.

Man, I was so f***ing confused because I thought you were talking about Jooris. Haha.

Yeah, this is definitely an exciting time. My only real concern with Brassard is his injury history, but he's managed to stay healthy for a long time so hopefully that's well and truly in the past. Brassard's always been a strong playoff performer as well. It's funny that you mention Kessel - would any of us have believed, say 3 years ago, that we'd have a line with Kessel and Brassard and that their previous teams would be retaining a combined $4.2 million? I still hardly believe it.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Real wingers not working > fringer NHlers working

Lets play the guy waived at least 3 times by 3 teams over anyone on this roster sans Rowney or Kuhnackl is asinine

One doesn't actually have to look that hard to find NHL players who've been waived having success elsewhere. Also, I'm pretty sure - in fact I'm certain, that if in Oct someone had suggested putting Hagelin and Hornqvist on Malkin's line, whomever posted that would have been bashed to hell and asked "why do you hate Malkin".

Whether we have "real wingers" or not, it hasn't been working - so try something else. Can it really be any worse then what we've seen recently? And if it is... what have we lost other than being able to eliminate one combo?

Again, I'm not saying that this should be the plan, or that this should even be something that we should go out of our way to try or have any expectations of it working - just that completely dismissing it out of hand is asinine. Especially when what we have tried isn't f***ing working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad