Tribute Post Players' Defining Games

Sockosensei

May 13, 2007
Japan
As a tribute to Rangers past and present, let's post games that we feel are defining games for a player.

Example: if you wanted your kid to know why Adam Graves is so beloved by watching one whole game together--not simply showing a highlight clip--what game would you watch?

Rule: Only 1 player and 1 game per post.
Bonus points if you provide a YouTube or other link.

----------

The Fine Print:

It doesn't have to be the game where that player scored 8 points, just a game where the best qualities of that player are on display.

This is a positivity thread. Please don't get snarky with the blunders of your whipping boy from each era, Rozsíval / Howden / ;)

Many posters here are far more knowledgeable than I could ever hope to be. I hope you'll share that.

Special tip of the hat to @nyr2k2 for the "Let's remember some guys" thread that inspired this, one of my favorites in my time here.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
it was a loss but I would nominate Panarin in the NYE OT loss to the Oilers. They mounted a near historic comeback off statistically one of the greatest individual efforts in modern hockey. Again the fact that it was a loss for sure taints it but Panarin transcended human hockey ability that night and it's a real shame we didn't win.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
I don't remember every detail, but Callahan had an early game where I think he had 2 fights. He was just creating chaos all over the ice. Knew from that moment on that he would be an impactful player.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
My mom had just beaten breast cancer, only to be diagnosed with a brain haemorrhage and given months to live. She took me on a trip to NYC as I had always wanted to go since I was little, when we were there when we walked by MSG they were coincidentally playing my hometown Canucks that day so we bought tickets. The Canucks were the hottest team in the league riding a 17 game unbeaten streak, but Lundqvist shut them out making 31 saves in a 1-0 win, for his 30th career shutout. It may not be the best game of his career but it was the most important to me, and it was kinda symbolic of his career as a Ranger. Carrying a mediocre team to victories against the best even if they can’t score
swMZOhD.jpg

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Hank was around for numerous years already, won playoff series, and was a defining player for the team coming out of the dark ages. When I think back to when he became more than just the starter, more than just the best player on the team, and became the face of the franchise was not even a win for him (which entirely sums up his Rangers career).

It is this game: Pittsburgh Penguins at New York Rangers Box Score — March 4, 2010 | Hockey-Reference.com

50 saves. 5-4 OT loss. The Rangers had 16 shots the entire game. Not only was it 50 saves on 55 shots, but it was the quality of those shots. The save on Malkin in OT on the PP before Malkin scored on that same powerplay. Literally and figuratively carrying the team over the finish line.

If it is not that game, it is this game: New Jersey Devils at New York Rangers Box Score — January 12, 2010 | Hockey-Reference.com

The dual shutouts for Brodeur and Lundqvist, and of course they lost that game too in the shootout. 45 saves. Stonewalled the Devils every step of the way.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Dec 2nd, 1992. Missed my first train that night so I jumped the next one out of Deer Park. Running through Penn Station, up the stairs, across into the Garden. I couldn't miss this game. It was a must. Running up the escalators into Section 426 (That was the old Blues). As I got off the top of the escalator, the crowd absolutely erupted. I knew exactly what was happening. It was the highly anticipated Probert/Domi round 2. I didn't even get into my seat to watch it. I was at the top of the stairs looking down. The Garden went bannanas for this fight. Everyone knew it was going to happen. The whole place was buzzing from it. Probie won that round, but Domi won the hearts of NY'ers forever. He took on the toughest enforcer in NHL history in front of 18,000 screaming fans!

Reactions: savebyrichter94

Creepingjeff

Mar 4, 2016
I love this idea.

When I think of Mike Richter, the game I remember the most is not with the Rangers, rather the finals of the 1996 World Cup of Hockey. Richter was incredible that entire tournament and in the biggest game of it, in Montreal no less, he was amazing. Look at the rosters of the teams in that tournament. Mike Richter won the MVP of it and 100% absolutely should have. Here is a highlight clip of it .

Oh, yeah. He was pretty good in the finals in 94 too.

Fansince1992

May 18, 2014
I don't remember every detail, but Callahan had an early game where I think he had 2 fights. He was just creating chaos all over the ice. Knew from that moment on that he would be an impactful player.

Yes I remember this was Cally's coming out party as a leader. If I recall it was against Tampa and Avery and Zherdev both got tossed for un-sportsman like conduct earlier in the game.

Reactions: Bacon Artemi Bravo

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

1989 is when I became a real big fan at the age of 10 and I was obsessed with Darren Turcotte (and his line of Mallette - Turcotte - Janssens. Literally what this team can use right now).

Turcotte was drafted by the Rangers in the 6th round and bounced around from IHL and the NHL for a couple years before absolutely exploding for 32 goals in 76 games in 89-90.

He would score these highlight reel goals including this beauty where he popped the puck up using his glove, breaking through the defense and chopping it in while on his chest

The kid had it going, with the mullet to boot

That goal is queued up on this YouTube video, but I STRONGLY suggest rewinding it and watching the entire thing. This was the one of the best produced season highlight VHS's the Rangers ever released - I still have it in the basement somewhere.

I later got to dress next to and play on a line with Mark Janssens in a charity game, among some other alumni and it was a f***ing dream come true let me tell you.

Last edited:
Reactions: DialUp

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
I mean, Stu Bickel sitting on the bench for pretty much an entire 3OT game comes to mind.

On a more serious note, I'd say Henrik's penalty shot save in the Winter Classic.

Reactions: McSauer

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3