Blue Jays Discussion: Post Non-Waiver Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Speaking of umpires.
I forget the guys name who tossed Beltre for moving the ondeck tarp but he actually rung a guy up in the Nats vs Angels game the other day when it was only strike 2 :laugh:

Jerry Meals

Same guy who blew the home plate call for the Pirates back like 5 or 6 years ago to lose it for them in 19 innings.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Vlad already 1-1 with a walk in the 2nd inning. FG hasn't updated stats over the last couple of days but he has increased his OPS by ~60 points already going into today's game.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Vlad already 1-1 with a walk in the 2nd inning. FG hasn't updated stats over the last couple of days but he has increased his OPS by ~60 points already going into today's game.

It's crazy how well he has done since his slow start in Dunedin. His OPS will likely be higher in Dunedin than it was in Lansing.

Thinking about next year. He will start in AA. Then will likely get moved onto AAA. It's possible he could get a September callup next year.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Rereading his post... yep. Looks like it! My mistake.

Yeah. Pillar would be the CF the Dodgers need and Pederson switching over to RF for us. An unlikely situation but one i like. Many think Pillar's defense would decline as he gets into his 30s and a Pillar without defense isnt a good baseball player. Pederson might be a better gamble because you can try to fix his bat and stick him in the corner. LA knows Pederson has better long term value but they are in win now. 3 years of Pillars defense would help them a lot i would think.

Plus we have more CF options coming.

As someone who umpired at a national level, amateur guys would get absolutely wrecked in the majors. Umpiring is so much more than calling balls and strikes and safe and out.

And honestly, outside of a couple of guys the quality of umpiring in the majors right now is absolutely fantastic. Its the game management that's been lost. Far too many instances of umps actively starting conflicts with players, and that should never happen.

As much as i hate the umps this is 100% right. They are the best at their job but the worst at descalating conflict and flewing their power. Only way to prevent this is actually disciplining the umpires.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

I noticed that earlier, but it's updated now. 175 wRC+ heading into today.

It's ridiculous. There are a lot of young guys having great seasons, but no one even compares to Guerrero at this point, especially now that he's homered in three straight to get the power numbers back up in Dunedin.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Can someone explain and dumb down an an explanation on wRC+

wRC+ takes into account how well a player is hitting, compares that to how an average player in the league would hit, and factors in how your ball park affects your hitting "for example if someone plays in Colorado it will factor in how hitter friendly the ball park is." It then gives you a number that shows how many percentage points a player is hitting above or below average. For example, Vlad Guerrero Jr, has a 175 wRC+ in high A ball. Factoring his performance, his ball park and how the rest of the league hits on average, he is doing 75% better then the average player in his league does. Having a 100 wRC+ means you would be a completely average hitter.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I agree with some of the comments in that story; the umps would never admit it, but part of the reason EVERYONE is getting so pissed off at them is that they never suffer any punishment for screwing up, intentionally or otherwise...

I always thought that MLB could dismiss the entire roster of umpires and replace them tomorrow with trained amateur umpires and nobody would notice the difference.]And if the new umpires were subject to culling based on performance review, umpiring would improve immensely.

That's the thing, they're missing the forest for the trees. People are upset because many of them still try to become the story far too often, and there's no mechanism (that we're aware of) in place that makes them accountable. Whether it's a skill-based deficit (although I agree with others that they are mostly pretty damn good at what they do, with a couple exceptions), or a lack of perspective about their role in the game. I don't think they're going to get the sympathy they're looking for with this move.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Reese McGuire with another good game. 3 for 4 with a double.

Joshua Palacios had a pretty good season last year with Vancouver and with only a few games with Lansing he hit well. This year he started the year slow but since July he has hit very well.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I noticed that earlier, but it's updated now. 175 wRC+ heading into today.

It's ridiculous. There are a lot of young guys having great seasons, but no one even compares to Guerrero at this point, especially now that he's homered in three straight to get the power numbers back up in Dunedin.

Is there anyway to see his wRC+ just for August?

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Is there anyway to see his wRC+ just for August?

If you are looking on fangraphs just click game log and on dates you can change it for any time period in 2017. Then go to advanced stats and wRC+ is one of the stats. If you want to know he has a 232 wRC+ since the start of August.

That's also not including today, and since he went 2 for 3 with 2 BB today that probably went up.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Can someone explain and dumb down an an explanation on wRC+

1. wOBA is a more accurate version of OPS, as it weighs obp and slg more accurately.
2. wRC+ is the wOBA version of OPS+.
3. both OPS+ and wRC+ (and ERA+) take the number at put it on a scale where 100 = league average, 110 = 10% better than league avg, 120 = 20% better than league avg, etc.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Thanks Pilar and JD!

Now, let's do this Osuna!...

Nope, SWEPT!

Last edited:

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
There̢۪s been talk of teams making a run at Stanton this offseason, including the Phillies, Giants, Mets, and possibly Yankees. The Blue Jays, Cardinals, Braves, Mariners, and Dodgers could also get involved.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...rapher-says/Ye3sHA09Vo762kcLlty2TL/story.html

Has to be just looking at teams with OF holes so he can fill space in his column. Stanton doesn't seem like a player Shapiro et al would want anything to do with given his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad